Ray Dalio video Principles for dealing with a changing world order.

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Ray Dalio video Principles for dealing with a changing world order.

Post by whatchamacallit » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:55 am

Almost as good as the economic machine video.

It is a history of empire's currency collapses.

Ray Dalio
Principles for dealing with a changing world order.

https://youtu.be/xguam0TKMw8
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Ray Dalio video Principles for dealing with a changing world order.

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:38 pm

I saw this was posted on the bogleheads forum.

The prescription was simple and obvious. Right at the beginning the video says to buy stocks, gold, and commodities.

Yet the knuckleheads all went and said “hOw’s THiS aCtIOnaBle???”

Unmmmmmm, like none of you guys own commodities or gold. The actionable element is pretty obvious.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:29 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:38 pm

The prescription was simple and obvious. Right at the beginning the video says to buy stocks, gold, and commodities.

Unmmmmmm, like none of you guys own commodities or gold. The actionable element is pretty obvious.
Hahahaha!
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:27 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:29 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:38 pm

Hahahaha!
Watched the video last night. Excellent. Also, it was great that he just laid out at the beginning - buy these things.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:24 pm

Great video.

The PP is designed to work when the USA is "on top". If that time is coming to an end, potentially quickly (as Dalio says, it starts slowly and then moves quickly), what should we do?
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:33 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:24 pm
Great video.

The PP is designed to work when the USA is "on top". If that time is coming to an end, potentially quickly (as Dalio says, it starts slowly and then moves quickly), what should we do?
Great question. I think gold will be great. Maybe commodity trend following. Owning productive physical assets. I was thinking about the Netherlands in his video and wondering what happened after they lost reserve status long term. Life seems great there. I wish Dalio talked more about how a country and its citizens thrive after they lose reserve status.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:01 pm

Thinking about that video some more, that is probably the only time I've heard the phrase "military-industrial complex" used even remotely positively.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:03 pm

Xan wrote:
Great video.

Probably what non-US PP holders do. Eg 25% VGS, 50% VBND, 25% Gold held off-shore. Maybe some extra physical offshore assets (up to say 20%) in a VP. Eg. Silver or if wealthy, farm land. Or perhaps a VP in Anthony Dedens company https://edelweissholdings.com.
Last edited by Hal on Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:06 pm

Hal wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:03 pm
Xan wrote:
Great video.

Probably what non-US PP holders do. Eg 25% VGS, 50% VBND, 25% Gold held off-shore. Maybe some extra physical offshore assets (up to say 20%) in a VP. Say Silver or if wealthy, farm land.... Check out Marc Fabers allocation. Or maybe a VP in Anthony Dedens company https://edelweissholdings.com
I contacted edelweiss a while ago. Here is the response I got.
"Thank you for your kind words and interest in Edelweiss Holdings plc. The Company is private and currently not accepting new shareholders. Should you wish to be notified if this status changes, please reply to this email with your request to be added to our distribution list for future announcements."
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:17 pm

ppnewbie wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:06 pm
Hal wrote:
Xan wrote:
Great video.

Probably what non-US PP holders do. Eg 25% VGS, 50% VBND, 25% Gold held off-shore. Maybe some extra physical offshore assets (up to say 20%) in a VP. Say Silver or if wealthy, farm land.... Check out Marc Fabers allocation. Or maybe a VP in Anthony Dedens company https://edelweissholdings.com
I contacted edelweiss a while ago. Here is the response I got.
"Thank you for your kind words and interest in Edelweiss Holdings plc. The Company is private and currently not accepting new shareholders. Should you wish to be notified if this status changes, please reply to this email with your request to be added to our distribution list for future announcements."
Thanks! That's good to know. In his video he stated he may allow the public to invest in the future. Looks like that idea is dead....
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:57 pm

Hal wrote:
25% Gold held off-shore.
Any thoughts on this since the Perth mint doesn't seem quite as appealing as it once was?
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:28 am

Benko wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:57 pm
Hal wrote:
25% Gold held off-shore.
Any thoughts on this since the Perth mint doesn't seem quite as appealing as it once was?
Research SGPMX. I have had very good experiences dealing with them. A family member also went to Singapore to physically remove some gold from the vault to check if they are legit. They are. The security was something else as well.....
https://sgpmx.com

I would still consider using The Perth Mint, just split your holdings between a few depositories
seajay
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by seajay » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:03 pm

A 18 month old article https://www.rbth.com/business/332673-ru ... ar-america
The share of trade operations between Russia and China using the U.S. dollar fell to 46 percent in the first quarter of 2020, while holding at 90 only five years ago. The de-dollarization initiative in Russia began in 2014, during sanctions amid a diplomatic breakdown over Crimea
My understanding is that SWIFT clearance involves upward through US and back down again 'transfers' such that the US can block Russia banks usage of USD's, but
Other countries have also joined in the initiative, among them notably China, Turkey, Iran, India and Brazil.
Add Africa to those and 60% of the global population directing to dropping the USD for inter-trade between them. Rising to possibly north of 75% if you factor in other possible future trade treaties/deals with others (Europe, other S. American countries, Australia ...etc.).

Somewhat seems like a case of US self-harm. Block Russia out of SWIFT to induce a even more rapid move away from the USD. Striving to reduce Petro-Dollars in favor of 'green' alternatives, FATCA ..etc and next thing you know is that the USD is no longer the primary reserve/trading currency. However the British Pound has endured since the 750's through being the primary reserve currency to the USD taking over that lead and the British PP still worked through that OK(ish). A German PP through Weimar hyperinflation and holding gold at least would have seen a PP'er better placed than alternatives. Might not be gains, could be losses, but if you lose a lot less than others that is a form of gain, a one sighted eye man in a blind world is king despite having only half his former vision.
seajay
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by seajay » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:18 pm

Benko wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:57 pm
Hal wrote:
25% Gold held off-shore.
Was it ever? Australian law is such that it has confiscatory powers already enshrined into law, available to be enacted via a simple signature, and that includes the baring of gold being removed out of the country.

The more preferable would be a chain that has the capacity/option to 'internal' transfer your gold between its international vaults. "Please swap my two 400 ounce bricks presently stored in your Swiss vault, serial numbers F12345 and F98765, for two bricks in your vault in Singapore" ... "OK we're now holding two assayed bricks for you in our Singapore vault, serial numbers ....".