dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Off topic Posts

Post by dualstow »

So as not to derail....

Re: electric vehicles and tires
viewtopic.php?f=9&p=238402#p238402
vinny wrote: After having been anti-nuclear for nearly 50 years .... over the last year or so I have come over to the other side.

Now we just need to get Germany on board.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Off topic Posts

Post by Mountaineer »

Vinny, just curious - what were the significant (risk-benefit?) issues related to your being anti-nuclear and what caused you to change your mind?
(This topic gave me a flash-back to my Nuclear Engineering class in my last year at WVU where we studied various nuclear reactor designs. Unfortunately, I don't remember a whole lot of the details.)

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mountaineer wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:35 am

Vinny, just curious - what were the significant (risk-benefit?) issues related to your being anti-nuclear and what caused you to change your mind?
(This topic gave me a flash-back to my Nuclear Engineering class in my last year at WVU where we studied various nuclear reactor designs. Unfortunately, I don't remember a whole lot of the details.)

... Mountaineer

1) A major in being anti was if nuclear was so safe why did every insurance policy not cover damages due to a nuclear accident.

2) Have lately read a few books on climate change or with sections on it whose authors are moderates, practical and pointing out the pros and cons of nuclear compared to other fuel sources.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Here is another question.

I can look up through my east window in this bedroom and see an area where about 1/2 mile away was going to be the site of a nuclear power plant!

That was in the plans in the late 1970s but got derailed.

How many reading this would feel okay living that close to a nuclear power plant.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Desert wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:06 am My first job out of college was running safety analyses on existing nuke plants. Unfortunately, many of those plants are still in operation decades later. I'm generally pro-nuke, but I'm anxious to see new plants with improved technology.

As Vinnie mentioned, the two big potential downsides that have to be managed are waste handling and accident prevention/mitigation.

Mountaineer, you're old enough to remember the "too cheap to meter" claims about nuke energy ... do you remember that in the popular imagination?
That is some first job! I don't even trust myself to check a single person's parachute. O0
Harry Shearer has an fm radio show/podcast called Le Show. Largely cheesy, but I love it when does nuclear news. It always begins with "your friend, the atom" and there's a whispered theme song, "clean - safe - too cheap to meter."

Idea for waste management: leave it at the Kremlin.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Xan wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:34 pm
vnatale wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:52 amI assume that all things being equal in war that defense has an advantage over offense.
It's gone back and forth historically. For example, a castle was largely impregnable, at least without a siege. Advantage: defense. But then the cannon was invented and the walls could just be shot down. Advantage: offense.

At the moment I agree with you, Vinny, that today in terms of putting boots on the ground and occupying territory, the defense has the advantage. But overall we're in an era where offense has the trump card: the nuclear bomb.
Armor had a good run before the advent of the crossbow.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

MARK LEAVY, constant traveler: Have you been to Ukraine? If not, where's the closest you've been?
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

I, sadly, have not seen much of Eastern Europe. That was on the list until the world turned upside down a few years ago.

I have been to the Czech Republic, Croatia, Slovenia, Serbia and Monte Negro.

Ukrainians are fantastic people, making the best of hard times. Many young men I have worked with have fallen truly, madly, deeply in love with Ukrainian women. And (metaphorically) died with a smile on their faces.

The Ukrainians I have met, have been uniformly smart, tough and physical specimens. Both the men and the women. Many Ukrainians are really Russians. Different dialect and different genetics. Easy to tell the difference.

They are good people. I wish them well.
Last edited by Mark Leavy on Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

thanks!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

vnatale wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:00 pm Here is another question.

I can look up through my east window in this bedroom and see an area where about 1/2 mile away was going to be the site of a nuclear power plant!

How many reading this would feel okay living that close to a nuclear power plant.
At least one. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mountaineer wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:36 pm
vnatale wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:00 pm
Here is another question.

At least one. ;)

By the time I bought my house in 1982 it was deep in the past .....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montague_ ... %20project.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9978&p=238915p238915
jhogue wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:16 am People have funny ideas about what to do with their cash. Some times not so funny.

I wonder where Putin hides his personal stash. I am sure he has got at least one, but I am not sure if he can get to any of them.

See:
"Swiss banks count cost of Russia sanctions"

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss-bank ... _content=o
Probably with his oligarch buddies, like this guy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Roldugin
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Desert wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:40 pm I just happened across this very interesting article:
Secondly, Ukraine has only recently been receiving modern western military assistance, and then of only a limited nature. Taiwan has been buying billions of dollars worth of Pentagon hardware for four decades, including fighter jets and missile defense systems.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newslett ... y-saturday
I just read it. Interesting indeed. Most prognostications are that China’s takeover of Taiwan would be bloodless. And even this author (Andrew Browne) writes

What’s more probable, and thus a greater worry, is that China will instead seek to force Taiwanese surrender through cyber-bullying, economic harassment and disinformation.

I do wonder if the Taiwanese are watching the Ukraine conflict and having seconds thoughts about letting that happen.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

dualstow wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:43 am
Desert wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:40 pm I just happened across this very interesting article:
Secondly, Ukraine has only recently been receiving modern western military assistance, and then of only a limited nature. Taiwan has been buying billions of dollars worth of Pentagon hardware for four decades, including fighter jets and missile defense systems.
I just read it. Interesting indeed. Most prognostications are that China’s takeover of Taiwan would be bloodless. And even this author (Andrew Browne) writes

What’s more probable, and thus a greater worry, is that China will instead seek to force Taiwanese surrender through cyber-bullying, economic harassment and disinformation.

I do wonder if the Taiwanese are watching the Ukraine conflict and having seconds thoughts about letting that happen.
That's a good read and gives me a bit more hope that the Russian invasion of Ukraine is not just a warm-up act for China sending a force to take over Taiwan. Before reading this, I had no idea of the scale of the Okinawa battle.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

dualstow wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:15 pm viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9978&p=238915p238915
jhogue wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:16 am People have funny ideas about what to do with their cash. Some times not so funny.

I wonder where Putin hides his personal stash. I am sure he has got at least one, but I am not sure if he can get to any of them.

See:
"Swiss banks count cost of Russia sanctions"

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss-bank ... _content=o
Probably with his oligarch buddies, like this guy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Roldugin
The Pandora Papers listed Zelenskyy and his buddies as big hiders of offshore wealth. Not that I care. Just interesting.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

barrett wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:28 pm
dualstow wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:43 am
Desert wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:40 pm
I just happened across this very interesting article:

That's a good read and gives me a bit more hope that the Russian invasion of Ukraine is not just a warm-up act for China sending a force to take over Taiwan. Before reading this, I had no idea of the scale of the Okinawa battle.

China has a lot more to lose than does Russia. Russia is a has-been nation, trying to reclaim its past prominence. China is an up and coming nation, probably the most likely candidate to eventually supplant us as the #1 world power. You don't due things like that in your ques to become that #1.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I Shrugged wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:25 pm
The Pandora Papers listed Zelenskyy and his buddies as big hiders of offshore wealth. Not that I care. Just interesting.
That is indeed interesting!
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/o ... -zelenskiy