Moderator: Global Moderator

barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Wages (e.g) at McDonalds

Post by barrett » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:00 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:11 am
Not to get too off topic, but the same is going to happen with EVs. My Tesla burns no fossil fuels, but tires need to be replaced twice as often. How is that good for the environment? And then there's those pesky batteries....
Even more off topic... why do the tires on a Tesla need to be replaced so often?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:27 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:48 pm

barrett wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:00 pm

MangoMan wrote:

Not to get too off topic, but the same is going to happen with EVs. My Tesla burns no fossil fuels, but tires need to be replaced twice as often. How is that good for the environment? And then there's those pesky batteries....

Even more off topic... why do the tires on a Tesla need to be replaced so often?

Strong torque, and by corollary, regenerative braking.
https://luxurycarsa2z.com/why-do-tesla- ... t-so-fast/

So what is then the cost per mile for a full set of Tesla tires? Are they all+weather tires or can you buy certain ones that give you better performance in the snow -- similar to my traditional studded snow tires?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:46 pm

No setting to change the off the line torque to save on battery and tires?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Electric Vehicles and Tires

Post by Cortopassi » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:49 am

I am sure there are lots of people who buy electric not for 0 to 60 performance, but to help save the planet, and if you tell them they can get more miles on the battery and tire by accelerating slower, absolutely some would.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:18 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:49 am
I am sure there are lots of people who buy electric not for 0 to 60 performance, but to help save the planet, and if you tell them they can get more miles on the battery and tire by accelerating slower, absolutely some would.
Maybe those folks are buying Nissan Leafs and Chevy Volts and BMW i3s instead of Teslas? I really don't know. Are all electric cars by definition monster machines? Surely there are plenty of people who like Corto says are just buying a car to get to work and back in a "green" way, and have no interest in a performance automobile.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:50 pm

Wait, isn't that the whole point of electric? Less greenhouse gases because the electricity comes from a cleaner, and possibly 100% clean source vs gas/oil?

I certainly understand your point. On the flip side both my daughters would fall into the accelerate slow save the planet side.

I am somewhere in between.

I would get one simply to not have to deal with gas and oil. My mower, snowblower and bike are all electric. Love them.
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:17 pm

MangoMan wrote:
My Tesla burns no fossil fuels
Where does the electricity come from?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:05 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:50 pm

Wait, isn't that the whole point of electric? Less greenhouse gases because the electricity comes from a cleaner, and possibly 100% clean source vs gas/oil?

I certainly understand your point. On the flip side both my daughters would fall into the accelerate slow save the planet side.

I would get one simply to not have to deal with gas and oil. My mower, snowblower and bike are all electric. Love them.

How long have you had the mower? How long does it work on one charge? How long does the battery take to charge? What is the battery's life? What does a replacement battery cost?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:15 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:05 pm
Cortopassi wrote:

How long have you had the mower? How long does it work on one charge? How long does the battery take to charge? What is the battery's life? What does a replacement battery cost?
Mower I’ve had for at least five years, and I can always finish the yard 1/4 acre about, with one charge, and almost never gives me a low battery warning, unless the grass is really tall from rains. This is at least 40 minutes of cutting. Takes less than 90 minutes to charge for sure. Ego is the brand.

I have yet to need to replace batteries, and only have experienced minimal capacity loss on them over at least five years. Two are 7.5Ah, two are 5Ah, 56V.

I think replacements run in the 300 to 400 range.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:15 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:15 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:05 pm

Cortopassi wrote:

Mower I’ve had for at least five years, and I can always finish the yard 1/4 acre about, with one charge, and almost never gives me a low battery warning, unless the grass is really tall from rains. This is at least 40 minutes of cutting. Takes less than 90 minutes to charge for sure. Ego is the brand.

I have yet to need to replace batteries, and only have experienced minimal capacity loss on them over at least five years. Two are 7.5Ah, two are 5Ah, 56V.

I think replacements run in the 300 to 400 range.

Thanks. I'm going to shortly be due for a new lawn mower. I last bought a new one in 1999. After that I bought used ones on Craigslist. I have a 0.40 acre lot. I'd not want to not be able to finish it all in one session and have a 90 minute wait to finish it.
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:25 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:15 pm
Don wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:17 pm
MangoMan wrote:
My Tesla burns no fossil fuels
Where does the electricity come from?
I didn't say no fossil fuels were burned. Just that my Tesla doesn't directly burn them.
MangoMan wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:36 am

Pretty sure EVs are not going to save the planet. I guess we'll see.
Okay. As long as we're all aware that driving a Tesla doesn't mean that fossil fuels aren't being burned, because they are, albeit indirectly.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:49 pm

No animals were harmed when I ate that cheeseburger.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:32 pm

That was just a general statement based on what Don wrote.
I know you're aware that Tesla not burning fossil fuels is not the same as natural gas or oil being used to produce the electricity. And, I acknowledge that you mentioned Tesla's batteries and that EVs may very well not save the world. No dig intended.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:46 pm

I was thinking the same thing, Pug. It's like we are looking for excuses to take the opposite position on this forum for...everything!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:42 pm

For what it’s worth, Pug, I should have said “no dig intended” in my earlier post. I remember feeling that no one was listening to me last year when I posted about the bodyguard app, no matter how many times I insisted that i was not equating it with having a firearm. I proceeded to drive myself crazy and had to take a break.

The last thing I want to do is make other people feel like that are not being listened to. Apologies. It really wasn’t directed at you.
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:01 pm

I apologize too.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:11 pm

As it happens, most of Pugchief’s kilowatts come from nuclear plants in northern Illinois.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:16 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:11 pm
As it happens, most of Pugchief’s kilowatts come from nuclear plants in northern Illinois.
Interesting! I’m of the belief (hope?) that EVs are a good thing because battery technology will improve, charging will become more efficient, and we will gradually increase production by green means such as solar and wind. Those come with their own problems and it is not inevitable that we will use them more than fossil fuels one day, but it is possible.

At the same time, I don’t think we should abandon the combustion engine while the energy grid remains so vulnerable. Green is nice. Vulnerable, not so nice.

Germany gave up nuclear after Fukushima and now they are paying the price.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:19 am

I just saw the Netherlands are building two tractors to support their green agenda, which is great, imo.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:02 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:19 am
I just saw the Netherlands are building two tractors to support their green agenda, which is great, imo.
Is your sentence correct as written? Two tractors? :o. Or is your sentence in jest?
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:09 am

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:05 am
dualstow wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:16 pm

Germany gave up nuclear after Fukushima and now they are paying the price.
What could go wrong placing energy dependency almost entirely on the whims of Putin? ::)
Or on wind, windmills made somewhere other than your own courntry and dependent on rare earth materials mined elsewhere? Or on batteries requiring materials in relatively short supply and from mines that destroy the local land? Or on sunny days and dark nights that require those batteries, not to mention the disposal issues with used batteries and electronics? ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:16 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:02 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Is your sentence correct as written? Two tractors? :o. Or is your sentence in jest?
I interpreted that as two MODELS of tractor. Could be wrong.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:58 am

Xan wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:16 am
Mountaineer wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:
Shit...bleary eyed post in bed. Reactors! Nuclear reactors!

https://www.world-nuclear-news.org/Arti ... etherlands
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:44 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:58 am
Xan wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:

lol! Tractors...
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:46 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:58 am
Xan wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:

You are forgiven! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣