Re: Fleeing the Blue States

Post by snedgar »

Atlas Shrugged.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

snedgar wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:40 pm Atlas Shrugged.
That brings to mind: 1984, Brave New World, Soylent Green, and The Squad. :(

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

Pug,

Why are you still in Illinois? Is it strictly for work? If so, will you leave when you retire?

Found this online for a state by state breakdown:

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst-st ... payer/2416

Wife and I are in ultra-taxy Connecticut but can't realistically leave until she stops working in a few years as her skills are not easily transferable to another area. But I would also say that there are a lot of low-tax states where we would probably not want to live. That could change though.

I guess if all things were actually equal, more states would group together at a similar point on the Laffer Curve:

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/0 ... -curve.asp
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong »

I am on the opposite end: In Red Texas being overrun by Californians. I work from home so I don't have to drive too far away on a daily basis. I might drive for 10 mins a day and travel within a 3 mile radius. But yet there is not a day that goes by that I do not see multiple California license plates. Not a neighboring state plate like Louisiana or Oklahoma..but California. I see them in my kid's school drop off line every morning and parked all around my neighborhood.

I have no idea where that will put this area politically in a few years. But I do know that it has made life a lot more tedious. The traffic is always bad now, not just at rush hour. In olden days I could call up my veterinarian or dentist and get in same day or next day. Now they are month's out on appointments. Both my son's doctor and dentist are 6 months out on available appointments.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

jalanlong wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:40 pm I am on the opposite end: In Red Texas being overrun by Californians. I work from home so I don't have to drive too far away on a daily basis. I might drive for 10 mins a day and travel within a 3 mile radius. But yet there is not a day that goes by that I do not see multiple California license plates. Not a neighboring state plate like Louisiana or Oklahoma..but California. I see them in my kid's school drop off line every morning and parked all around my neighborhood.

I have no idea where that will put this area politically in a few years. But I do know that it has made life a lot more tedious. The traffic is always bad now, not just at rush hour. In olden days I could call up my veterinarian or dentist and get in same day or next day. Now they are month's out on appointments. Both my son's doctor and dentist are 6 months out on available appointments.
There are more republicans in California than in Arkansas.
Well, I made that up but I bet it’s right.
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don »

MangoMan wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:31 pm [I'm splitting this off from the Bugaria thread so as to not hijack and go too far off topic]
Don wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:18 pm
MangoMan wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:12 pm
Cortopassi wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:12 pm Pug's point, WSJ: https://outline.com/aHxbYM
And knowing this, the idiots in charge continue to double down on policies that encourage fleeing. And they keep getting reelected. There must be some rational explanation for this, but I can't fathom what it might be.
They've driven the taxpayers and many Americans out. It's a winning formula for the left.
How is driving the taxpayers out a winning formula for the left? You can't run a welfare state without producers to tax.
The Blue States have been given hundreds of billions of dollars from the federal government just this year alone in the guise of Covid relief. They have become welfare states for everybody.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

MangoMan wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:28 pm
I Shrugged wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:17 pm
There are more republicans in California than in Arkansas.
Well, I made that up but I bet it’s right.
Maybe in raw numbers, but certainly not as a percent of total state population.
It's no sure thing that the Californians who are leaving are Democrats. It'd be cool to see a study. They did one in Texas and found that the Californian immigrants were more Republican than the Texas electorate. Then again I think the people who did the study wanted that to be the case, so you know how that goes.