Dentist question

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Dentist question

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:09 pm

For Pugchief and anyone else who knows….
What is the deal with the “insurance” discount “plans” promoted inside dentist offices? Such as Vantage One. What’s the benefit for the practice? Etc.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Dentist question

Post by boglerdude » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:47 pm

Those plans pay for marketing and bring in new patients that get discounted fees. Plans and insurance usually arent worth it unless employer subsidized. Go on Nextdoor.com and find the best dentists. Then ask them about plans/insurance vs cash
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:39 am

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:45 am

If you need a new dentist, Nextdoor is okay, but you will get too many people posting answers. I would ask a trusted real life neighbor who they see.

Or, you could do what I do, which when I told Pugchief what I was doing he responded that I was being WAY too excessive.

I asked about 250 people who they were using and how they rated their dentist. I got about 80 replies.

I put all the replies in an Excel worksheet. I think I had about 15 different dentist recommendations.

I gave a 2 for a sterling recommendation, 1 for a recommendation, and a -1 for something negative.

I chose the dentist with the highest number of points - 9 (I think). This was just about a year ago and I am quite happy with my choice and have already had based upon my recommendation two other friends go to him also.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:29 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:45 am
boglerdude wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:47 pm
Those plans pay for marketing and bring in new patients that get discounted fees. Plans and insurance usually arent worth it unless employer subsidized. Go on Nextdoor.com and find the best dentists. Then ask them about plans/insurance vs cash
That's oversimplified, but sorta accurate.

Those plans are NOT insurance. The dentist does not file a claim, and does not receive any additional funds from the sponsor. The patient pays a monthly or annual subscription fee to the sponsor, and in exchange receives a card which gets them a discount rate at participating dentists' offices. The discount is the same as the PPO fee of the branded insurance sponsor, but the patient pays the entire copay rather than cost sharing with the insurance company. No deductibles or maximums. If you generally have more than minimal work in a given year and don't have access to traditional insurance thru an employer, these discount plans could be worthwhile.

If you are interested, you might check out dentalplans.com to shop the choices. Make sure the dentist you wish to see is in-network with the plan you are choosing. If you need a new dentist, Nextdoor is okay, but you will get too many people posting answers. I would ask a trusted real life neighbor who they see.
Thanks. The way they've been pitched to me was, "What you had done today is going to cost $375. If you join this plan for $75, today's services will only be $225. And every future procedure will also be discounted." I made up the numbers, but I think they're representative of what I paid. I did this once at our winter place, and once at home. Now I need to find a dentist again, and the one my wife likes here has the same thing going.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:40 am

Pug, if you have enough patients, wouldnt you not participate and charge market rate or higher, because you are in demand