Poll

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

If there was an option to vote to ban Mathjak, how would you vote?

Yes
11%
No
89%

Total votes: 9
dockinGA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Poll

Post by dockinGA » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:17 pm

A fun poll
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Poll

Post by Vil » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:27 pm

Normally, I just read what others write in here and simply walk away from what I find as not interesting. Why are you so bothered by MJ ? I do not concur with what he is saying (well, there are people that tend to believe in urine therapy, too), but that does not necessarily mean that we have to kill him with stones. Nor do I believe that newcomer arriving here may make wrong investment decisions due to what he is stating against PP. Well, its slightly strange to go to a BMW forum explaining how good Toyotas are, but unless he is not really insulting anyone, there's no real problem, right ? Moreover, it might have the hidden (positive) effect of breaking the forum's confirmation bias (too many PP proponents gathered here :) )
But of course that's an opinion of a reader, not an active contributor, if that'd make any difference though..
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:34 pm

If you find this sort of thing "fun," maybe it's you who should go.
dockinGA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dockinGA » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:08 pm

Maddy wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:34 pm
You're right, went a step too far and I apologize. I'm fine with this entire post being deleted.

But, that doesn't change the fact that mathjak has a tendency to derail what little thoughtful discussion remains on this forum. It's fine for there to be dissenting viewpoints, no issues with that. I read several other investing forums as well. But most other posters couch their predictions with a 'I think', or 'maybe we should be concerned about the possibility of this', and rarely tout their viewpoints as gospel truth. But with mathjak, he has a viewpoint, he's given it 5000 times, and if anyone disagrees with that viewpoint he will hijack your thread and whatever discussions were ongoing with countless repetitions of that same viewpoint. Nevermind the fact that he's been demonstrably wrong on several occasions (EVERYONE is wrong with their predictions, the only difference is that the rest of the posters on this forum seem to know ahead of time that they will be wrong and have therefore chosen the PP as the least bad option for someone who knows that they don't know the future).
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:33 pm

Maybe restrict him to certain sub-forums, as should have been done with other controversial posters
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:36 pm

dockinGA wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:08 pm
Maddy wrote:
You're right, went a step too far and I apologize. I'm fine with this entire post being deleted.

But, that doesn't change the fact that mathjak has a tendency to derail what little thoughtful discussion remains on this forum. It's fine for there to be dissenting viewpoints, no issues with that. I read several other investing forums as well. But most other posters couch their predictions with a 'I think', or 'maybe we should be concerned about the possibility of this', and rarely tout their viewpoints as gospel truth. But with mathjak, he has a viewpoint, he's given it 5000 times, and if anyone disagrees with that viewpoint he will hijack your thread and whatever discussions were ongoing with countless repetitions of that same viewpoint. Nevermind the fact that he's been demonstrably wrong on several occasions (EVERYONE is wrong with their predictions, the only difference is that the rest of the posters on this forum seem to know ahead of time that they will be wrong and have therefore chosen the PP as the least bad option for someone who knows that they don't know the future).
Okay, so Mathjak gets a bit tiresome at times. And he's wrong almost as often as the rest of us. But Maddy is right. If it bugs you, you need to look at yourself. I saw Jesus after thinking about Vinny :)
dockinGA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dockinGA » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:37 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:36 pm
dockinGA wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:08 pm
Maddy wrote:

Okay, so Mathjak gets a bit tiresome at times. And he's wrong almost as often as the rest of us. But Maddy is right. If it bugs you, you need to look at yourself. I saw Jesus after thinking about Vinny :)
I'm afraid I don't quite understand the last reference.

But I somewhat disagree with the sentiment that this is strictly an issue with me. The whole purpose of this forum should be to have thoughtful discussion about the PP. If certain posters derail every thoughtful conversation about the PP, sure I could ignore it, but it seems to me that to fully ignore it would mean simply avoiding this page altogether. Blocking his posts or ignoring them wouldn't help much, since so many threads devolve into his rants about rate risk and other people (myself included) responding to his rants. I guess this is a common internet phenomenon, and a main reason why I avoid participating in forums as much as possible and avoid most forums altogether. Approximately 98% of the people in this world aren't worth talking to, and there's a few who are going to infiltrate even the most obscure corners of the internet world like this one.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:01 am

Several of us have tried to influence MJ to stop the endless repetitive objections. It obviously doesn’t help. Just grin and bear it. Same with Bbud.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:53 am

Maddy wrote:
Aren't you at least heartened that 86% say No?