Re: Still Here... By The Skin Of My Teeth

Post by barrett » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:27 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:32 am
boglerdude wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:27 am
Hitting the gym? Money cant buy health.

Walk whenever possible. 2 miles should be effortless
Yup! Dragged back there thanks to a close friend. On the upswing in that regard at least.

Definitely a big drop in strength, but it could be worse!
Curious how much strength you lost and how long it takes to get it back. Can you post from time to time about yo gainz? Having and hitting little goals frequently helps me turn my head around. Chin ups? Bench press? Weight, reps & sets? You're young so strength will come back quickly if you are getting to the gym regularly. You know, control what you can type of thing, and being physically fit almost always helps with the mental side. Good luck to you!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:31 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:20 am
Just finished with the funeral and cremation a couple days ago.

Here's a photo of me delivering my eulogy.

6e6cfa70-0a5b-4f9b-b23b-d6c923d98485.jpeg
Wow, Smithers. I’m glad there were at least some of you were there in person and that it wasn’t a purely remote service like some funerals in 2020.
It’s good to see you posting again from time to time.
RIP Marcello Gandini
seajay
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by seajay » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:11 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:01 am
Some coping mechanisms (some of which have been maladaptive) have included: way too much weed; MDMA; sleeping with randoms; clubbing for the first time in 8 years; acupuncture; brain stimulation; antidepressants; laughing gas; and probably a bunch of others i'm forgetting.
Some years (decades) back the only thing that worked for me was St John's wort. May have been coincidental but others also suggest it can be beneficial.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:10 pm

Not at all making light of what you are going through. You know I care from our personal conversations. Thought the below might bring a smile to your face. It definitely brightens my mornings every morning to wake up to three cats within arm's reach of me.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (45.81 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:18 pm

ha!
RIP Marcello Gandini
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:26 pm

seajay wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:11 am
Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:01 am
Some coping mechanisms (some of which have been maladaptive) have included: way too much weed; MDMA; sleeping with randoms; clubbing for the first time in 8 years; acupuncture; brain stimulation; antidepressants; laughing gas; and probably a bunch of others i'm forgetting.
Some years (decades) back the only thing that worked for me was St John's wort. May have been coincidental but others also suggest it can be beneficial.
Worked for me as well many years back. Just make sure it doesn't interact with any other medications.
https://www.webmd.com//drugs/2/drug-177 ... al/details
Vinny's photo is spot on. Back then our collie dog would jump up on the bed and lay next to me, once I went to sleep it would hop down and go lay at my mothers feet.
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:35 pm

barrett wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:27 am
Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:32 am
boglerdude wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:27 am
Hitting the gym? Money cant buy health.

Walk whenever possible. 2 miles should be effortless
Yup! Dragged back there thanks to a close friend. On the upswing in that regard at least.

Definitely a big drop in strength, but it could be worse!
Curious how much strength you lost and how long it takes to get it back. Can you post from time to time about yo gainz? Having and hitting little goals frequently helps me turn my head around. Chin ups? Bench press? Weight, reps & sets? You're young so strength will come back quickly if you are getting to the gym regularly. You know, control what you can type of thing, and being physically fit almost always helps with the mental side. Good luck to you!
That's a great idea! That will keep me accountable by posting here. I almost feel like the exercises in the gym I'm doing are rehabilitation rather than true workout.

Today, for instance, I was doing a total body workout. I'm primarily just getting myself mentally back into a routine of exercising and reacclimating myself to the movements.

- 20 pound deadlift (yes, really)
- 15 pound bicep curls
- 20 pound shoulder press

There are seniors and young kids doing more than me. ::) ;D

For bench press today I did 145 pounds at 5 reps. I remember 6 months ago I could do a similar number of reps at 225. 145 was light enough that I could do an indefinite number of reps. *shrug*
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:36 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:31 am
Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:20 am
Just finished with the funeral and cremation a couple days ago.

Here's a photo of me delivering my eulogy.

6e6cfa70-0a5b-4f9b-b23b-d6c923d98485.jpeg
Wow, Smithers. I’m glad there were at least some of you were there in person and that it wasn’t a purely remote service like some funerals in 2020.
It’s good to see you posting again from time to time.
Yup! I'm here! I love your lynx avatar btw!
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:36 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:10 pm
Not at all making light of what you are going through. You know I care from our personal conversations. Thought the below might bring a smile to your face. It definitely brightens my mornings every morning to wake up to three cats within arm's reach of me.
Capture.JPG
Hahahahahhahaa!!! I love it!!! Lily loves it too. O0 O0
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:53 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:35 pm

[

That's a great idea! That will keep me accountable by posting here. I almost feel like the exercises in the gym I'm doing are rehabilitation rather than true workout.

Today, for instance, I was doing a total body workout. I'm primarily just getting myself mentally back into a routine of exercising and reacclimating myself to the movements.

- 15 pound bicep curls

For bench press today I did 145 pounds at 5 reps. I remember 6 months ago I could do a similar number of reps at 225. 145 was light enough that I could do an indefinite number of reps. *shrug*

I do the 190 pound deadlift (weigh 146 pounds myself).

55 pound bicep curls when I'm having no wrist problems (which I currently am).

85 pound shoulder press

But cannot really exceed 110 pounds on the bench press. What is so weak on me that that is my maximum?

When you have an overall body build like mine (ectomorphic) plus my age ..... I plateaued quite quickly when I started using free weights.

By the way I had my first visit this past Tuesday for physical therapy for my wrist (for which I'd gone to the emergency room last month due to the unbearable pain). She disagreed with the two physician's assistants I'd prior seen who'd each diagnosed it as carpal tunnel. She termed it an overuse injury which certainly made a lot more sense to me as it's far better recovery scenario. Not a chronic injury and one that will heal from both backing off somewhat on using the injured part plus just the passage of time.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
johnnywitt

Post by johnnywitt » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:26 pm

This is a very dystopian time we live in now. I think that a lot of us are trying to find meaning in all this insanity. Following the Markets and Macro helps me to make some sense out of the madness. Just trying to seek knowledge can add meaning to one's life.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:44 pm

johnnywitt wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:26 pm
This is a very dystopian time we live in now. I think that a lot of us are trying to find meaning in all this insanity. Following the Markets and Macro helps me to make some sense out of the madness. Just trying to seek knowledge can add meaning to one's life.
Me too. I've been watching a lot of Ben Felix's videos lately and his Rational Reminder podcast show.

Diving headfirst into the markets and portfolio simulations keeps me engaged.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:25 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:53 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:35 pm
[

- 15 pound bicep curls

I do the 190 pound deadlift (weigh 146 pounds myself).

55 pound bicep curls when I'm having no wrist problems (which I currently am).

85 pound shoulder press

But cannot really exceed 110 pounds on the bench press. What is so weak on me that that is my maximum?

When you have an overall body build like mine (ectomorphic) plus my age ..... I plateaued quite quickly when I started using free weights.

By the way I had my first visit this past Tuesday for physical therapy for my wrist (for which I'd gone to the emergency room last month due to the unbearable pain). She disagreed with the two physician's assistants I'd prior seen who'd each diagnosed it as carpal tunnel. She termed it an overuse injury which certainly made a lot more sense to me as it's far better recovery scenario. Not a chronic injury and one that will heal from both backing off somewhat on using the injured part plus just the passage of time.
Sounds like you have some imbalances maybe? A 190 pound deadlift and 85 pound shoulder press sounds somewhat incongruous. Either way, you seem like you're in great shape and that you really take care of yourself.

I'm slowly easing back into more and more intense gym routines. The other day I finally even started running again! Though, it exacerbated my knee pain.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:49 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:25 pm
I'm slowly easing back into more and more intense gym routines. The other day I finally even started running again! Though, it exacerbated my knee pain.
I think the trick is to find a similar exercise that doesn't aggravate whatever your weak points are. For example, I realized about three years ago that the leg press machine was messing up my right hip. But I am able to do just about every other glut, hamstring & quadriceps exercise without them bothering my hip. So lots of lunges with barbells, hip thrusts, goblet squats, hiking, etc. As a running substitute have you tried the elliptical machine? That works great for getting my heart rate up in the winter (though I do have asthma so frequently have to skip it). From March to November there are enough nice days here in CT that hard hikes do the trick. It's the "accept and adjust" track.

I know it's generally closed in the cold months but The Grouse Grind is a great heart pumper if you are anywhere close to North Vancouver. The last few times I was there, everyone hiked up and then took the cable car down. I don't have knee issues, thankfully, so I would still hike down.

Lastly, for your knee pain, have you had your feet & ankles checked for pronation and supination? I had to correct for really bad pronation about 20 years ago (orthotics bolstered by a piece of thin, long, hard rubber under the inside of the orthotic). If you have an uncorrected pronation or supniation problem with your feet, that will mess up your knees over time. Of course, there are other things that can go wrong with knees but the above worked for me.

Keep moving if you can and good luck!!
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:20 am

Missing my old man today. Hug your family members extra often/long, my friends.

:)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:21 am

Going to visit them soon if weather permits.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:24 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:21 am
Going to visit them soon if weather permits.
Good on ya, mate. ^-^
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:45 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:20 am

Missing parents? Yes. However I won't be seeing them until Judgement Day!
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:53 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:45 am
Smith1776 wrote:

A silver lining of my father passing away is that it has made my mother and I closer than ever. Going to cherish that time with her for sure. ^-^

I know judgement day will be far off for you, my friend. Your folks will have to wait a while!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:59 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:53 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:45 am
Smith1776 wrote:

A silver lining of my father passing away is that it has made my mother and I closer than ever. Going to cherish that time with her for sure. ^-^

I know judgement day will be far off for you, my friend. Your folks will have to wait a while!
Thanks Smithers. I recall what my best friend from 1st grade through 12th told me after his father died, before mine did, "There has not been a day that I've not thought about my dad". Pretty much the same for me, my dad died in 1993. My mom in 2000.

Blessings. Glad you and your mom are growing closer. Cherish the time indeed.

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ppnewbie » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:20 pm

Smithy,

Just saw this thread. We are all with you. Happy your here.