Florida?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Florida?

Post by vnatale » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:23 am

We have at least one person here who lives in Florida?

It's been the place I've most often gone for vacation.

Does that person or anyone else who lives there have any refutations to this article?

Vinny

11 Reasons You Don't Want to Retire in Florida

An overabundance of boomers, critters, sweat and weirdness. Welcome to the dark side of the Sunshine State.

https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/ret ... urce=today
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Florida?

Post by flyingpylon » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:44 am

Every place has its pros and cons. I’m very interested in moving to Florida but I plan to find ways to try it first, as the article recommends.
ozzy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ozzy » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:47 am

In 2014 I moved from Illinois to Florida. One of the best decisions of my life. I love it here. I even picked up a wife down here :)

For anyone considering moving here, I agree with FlyingPylon, try it out first (rent) to see if its right for you.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:56 pm

Some people like heat and humidity. I’m not joking.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:41 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:56 pm

Some people like heat and humidity. I’m not joking.

I'll take it every day over the cold.

It does get hot and humid in Massachusetts....but I have no air conditioning in the house and barely run the air conditioner in the car.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:54 am

I've lived in Florida for 40 of my 72 years. Most of it in the Tampa Bay area, but also brief stints in Jacksonville and the Miami area. I used to have bad dreams about having to move back to Ohio where I grew up.

I think I've visited every state in the union except for the Dakotas and I haven't found anyplace else I'd rather live.

I'll take a hot and humid summer over a cold and snowy winter any time. The blizzard of 78 and the deep freeze the year before were factors that motivated me to move here in 81.

Hurricanes, we've had a few, but then again, too few to mention. There's alligators in the lake across the street but they keep to themselves. Actually, I've never even seen one because my house isn't on the lake. We did have a bear wandering through the neighborhood back in June.

Especially like no income taxes.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:07 am

I love Florida. The sunshine, heat and humidity, flora & fauna, the people (boomers included)…
I don’t think I’d like to live in Miami, but there are plenty of cities I think I’d be comfortable in. I could even see moving to one of the Keys, but I think the wife would be bored there.

I do wish the Brightline trains (now Virgin Rail I think) had taken off.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:01 pm

My second choice would be Hawaii. Been there once a few years ago but we're heading for Maui at the end of the month to spend a week. It might even be my first choice except for things being so expensive. If you want to live in paradise you have to be willing to pay for it.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:46 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:01 pm
My second choice would be Hawaii. Been there once a few years ago but we're heading for Maui at the end of the month to spend a week. It might even be my first choice except for things being so expensive. If you want to live in paradise you have to be willing to pay for it.

Hawaii is absolutely delightful. Coming from Florida, though, it will be a change. They are pretty locked down and serious about it. I was there for about six weeks May/June and I believe the restrictions have only gone up since then.

I'm looking at Cabo for December/January. Currently fully open and no Covid restrictions.
MexicoCovidStatus.png
MexicoCovidStatus.png (222 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:50 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:46 pm
pp4me wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:01 pm

Hawaii is absolutely delightful. Coming from Florida, though, it will be a change. They are pretty locked down and serious about it. I was there for about six weeks May/June and I believe the restrictions have only gone up since then.

I'm looking at Cabo for December/January. Currently fully open and no Covid restrictions.

MexicoCovidStatus.png
I've uploaded our vaccination cards to their safe travels website. Only thing we need to do as far as know. I know they were also requiring proof of vaccination for restaurants but I thought I read somewhere yesterday they were going to loosen up restrictions.