Cell phone data question...

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Cell phone data question...

Post by vnatale » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:06 pm

Slowly I'm becoming more of a cell phone user like the rest of the world....

I've resisted using a lot features on my cell phone because it is just so much faster and easier to do certain things on this computer.

However, three weeks ago today I decided that I should learn to text. I'd resisted it for so long because I'm extremely speedy on a computer while on a cell phone I'm one finger and only have a 50% success rate at typing a letter correctly. It was pure torture doing a text. However, I did notice that once I started typing a word several suggested words appeared. Touch the word and it's there with no more clumsy picking letters by me. I've also noticed that if I send the same message to two different people in a row...then all the words in the sentence keep appearing to choose without me having to type anything. So I have now in three weeks become a monster texter.

The next issue is data.

I've resisted that because again I can do so much on this computer that obviates the need to have to do anything on a cell phone. And, I've not missed when not at this computer when not home the inability to access data on my phone.

I stated above I've become a monster texter. I also keep in close touch with my softball team via two Facebook Messenger Chat Groups I've set up. But I don't have the ability to access that on my phone when not home because I have, to date, not chosen to pay for data. I thought the way around that would be to set up a group text for my softball team. So I collected all their phone numbers and entered them into my cell phone.

Yesterday I set up a test Group text to see how to do it. To my dismay I discovered that unlike text which use SMS...Group texts require MMS, which then requires data. So I was stuck.

Tonight I decided I should probably just break down and buy data. My data cost with my plan -- Google Fi -- is $10 per GB, billed to the tenth GB. I can easily afford this but I've always resisted throwing money around just because I could afford to to do so.

My first questions are, in general, on cell phones can you decide app by app which gets to use data? I'd hate to have some "phantom" apps using data when I'd prefer that they not be able to do so.

I know the cell phone tells you how much data you have consumed in between billing periods. But does it break it down as to which apps used that data?

Is there something that tells one how much data certain apps consume, e.g. streaming a movie, streaming a baseball game, using Facebook Messenger?

Finally...unrelated to all the above. can you control a computer via remote control using a cell phone?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: Cell phone data question...

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:40 pm

Vinny,

Assuming Windows and Chrome, you can do Chrome Remote Desktop. Works well at least computer to computer and there is an app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_US&gl=US
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Cell phone data question...

Post by vnatale » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:30 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:40 pm

Vinny,

Assuming Windows and Chrome, you can do Chrome Remote Desktop. Works well at least computer to computer and there is an app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_US&gl=US

Thanks. Had used Chrome Remote Desktop extensively in the past when working with someone in New Jersey (sometimes for up to 8 hours in a day). It was much more reliable and easier to use than the LogMeIn paid version.

Had not known it could also be used on a phone to remote control a computer.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."