Solution: How to contribute online to a Fidelity solo 401k

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Pet Hog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Solution: How to contribute online to a Fidelity solo 401k

Post by Pet Hog »

I recall (but can't find it) there being some discussion here, many moons ago, about all the jumping through hoops needed to contribute online to a Fidelity solo 401k. In the past I have mailed a check, deposited a check at a Fidelity branch, or ACH'd money to a Fidelity checking account then called a rep to transfer it to the 401k.

Well, last time I called a rep (in January) I asked him to add me to the list of frustrated people who'd like an online alternative. He said the only way to do it now was through the "bill pay" option. Well, blow me down, it works! I just contributed again and the money went through from my Fidelity checking account. I'm not sure if it will work with bill pay from another institution directly, but I suspect it might. It took a week for the bill pay to go through, but I think it took a week when the rep did it in January, too. I recall the money was available immediately when I deposited a check in-branch.

Hope this hack is helpful to someone.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Solution: How to contribute online to a Fidelity solo 401k

Post by vnatale »

Pet Hog wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:04 pm
I recall (but can't find it) there being some discussion here, many moons ago, about all the jumping through hoops needed to contribute online to a Fidelity solo 401k. In the past I have mailed a check, deposited a check at a Fidelity branch, or ACH'd money to a Fidelity checking account then called a rep to transfer it to the 401k.

Well, last time I called a rep (in January) I asked him to add me to the list of frustrated people who'd like an online alternative. He said the only way to do it now was through the "bill pay" option. Well, blow me down, it works! I just contributed again and the money went through from my Fidelity checking account. I'm not sure if it will work with bill pay from another institution directly, but I suspect it might. It took a week for the bill pay to go through, but I think it took a week when the rep did it in January, too. I recall the money was available immediately when I deposited a check in-branch.

Hope this hack is helpful to someone.

For anyone wanting to do the same with a Vanguard Individual 401(k)...it is quite simple. I have a bank account linked to it and just tell it to take the funding from that account.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."