Old Stuff

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Old Stuff

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:07 pm

I think Hal and Desert and anyone else who's posted old timey stuff would like this.

The Summer Of Our Content
"Presented for your contemplation: One wave breaking over a group of Americans who have waded into the Atlantic on the Jersey shore sometime around noon on a hot day in August in 1910."
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Old Stuff

Post by pp4me » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:24 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:07 pm
I think Hal and Desert and anyone else who's posted old timey stuff would like this.

"Presented for your contemplation: One wave breaking over a group of Americans who have waded into the Atlantic on the Jersey shore sometime around noon on a hot day in August in 1910."
Nice piece of nostalgia. Save it on your computer.

I'm convinced that the concept of being an American is destined to become a thing of the past, perhaps even in my lifetime at the age of 72. I don't think I'm being hyperbolic in saying that. I think it's the reality staring us in the face.

Too many white faces, of course.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:55 am

Bound For Glory: America In Color 1939-1943
1.png
1.png (1.11 MiB) Viewed 2339 times
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:46 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:

I could be wrong, but going by the picture, I don't believe the 1910 folks took in as main calories as we do now....or they worked and played a lot harder than we do now.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:11 pm

GT wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:46 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:

I could be wrong, but going by the picture, I don't believe the 1910 folks took in as main calories as we do now....or they worked and played a lot harder than we do now.

Definitely a combination of the both. However, the former probably had the bigger effect.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:29 pm

They likely lost a lot of weight on the covered wagon ride to the beach.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:12 pm

You can see the weight difference in a lot of old photos in high school yearbooks. I don't recall one obese person when in high school but if you look at the photos nowadays you will find quite a few.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:26 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:12 pm

You can see the weight difference in a lot of old photos in high school yearbooks. I don't recall one obese person when in high school but if you look at the photos nowadays you will find quite a few.

Take a look at the cheerleaders in your yearbooks and compare them to today's cheerleaders....
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:05 am

Onfim
Onfim was a boy who lived in Novgorod (present-day Russia) in the 13th century, some time around 1220 or 1260. He left his notes and homework exercises scratched in soft birch bark which was preserved in the clay soil of Novgorod. Onfim, who was most likely six or seven at the time, wrote in the Old Novgorodian dialect of Old East Slavic. Besides letters and syllables, he drew "battle scenes and drawings of himself and his teacher". . . One of the drawings features a knight on a horse stabbing someone on the ground with a lance, with scholars speculating that Onfim pictured himself as the knight.
The number of fingers on the pictured people's hands varies from three to eight; Onfim had yet to learn how to count.
Heh
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:21 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:05 am
Onfim
One of the drawings features a knight on a horse stabbing someone on the ground with a lance, with scholars speculating that Onfim pictured himself as the knight.
That's an old pattern here, resembling the heroism of Saint George, one of the most renowned saints in the Orthodox Christianity world. In many countries around (Slavic as BG, and non-slavic as GR), George is also one of the most widely used male name. In BG its something like 5% of the population (which is a lot ;D ). Here comes St, George defeating the dragon :
Agios_Georgios_icon.jpg
Agios_Georgios_icon.jpg (41.71 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:42 pm

I’ve always felt kind of bad for the dragon.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years