Feds accused of seizing $85 million from safe deposit boxes without 'any legal basis'

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Feds accused of seizing $85 million from safe deposit boxes without 'any legal basis'

Post by vnatale »

Class-action suit claims FBI exceeded its search warrant and is forcing renters of boxes to prove their innocence.

https://justthenews.com/accountability/ ... egal-basis
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Feds accused of seizing $85 million from safe deposit boxes without 'any legal basis'

Post by I Shrugged »

I wholeheartedly endorse IJ as a worthy charity. They take on great causes like this all the time.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Feds accused of seizing $85 million from safe deposit boxes without 'any legal basis'

Post by pp4me »

This is why I've never been keen on the idea of keeping gold in a bank safety deposit box. I've always thought of banks as quasi-government entities so why would you want to put your gold someplace where the biggest gang of thieves in the world can get to it?
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

pp4me wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:47 pm This is why I've never been keen on the idea of keeping gold in a bank safety deposit box. I've always thought of banks as quasi-government entities so why would you want to put your gold someplace where the biggest gang of thieves in the world can get to it?
In the cases above, it was a private box company.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

I Shrugged wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:21 pm
pp4me wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:47 pm This is why I've never been keen on the idea of keeping gold in a bank safety deposit box. I've always thought of banks as quasi-government entities so why would you want to put your gold someplace where the biggest gang of thieves in the world can get to it?
In the cases above, it was a private box company.
Okay, I'll avoid them too.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Judge blocks FBI from keeping cash, gold and silver seized in Beverly Hills raid

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... nfiscation
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

The whole civil forfeiture thing is a glimpse into what governments will do to your rights if no one stops them.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

I Shrugged wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:31 am
The whole civil forfeiture thing is a glimpse into what governments will do to your rights if no one stops them.

Although it was another branch of the government that stopped a different branch from doing so?
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

vnatale wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:46 pm
I Shrugged wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:31 am The whole civil forfeiture thing is a glimpse into what governments will do to your rights if no one stops them.
Although it was another branch of the government that stopped a different branch from doing so?
True and good point. But, the courts are relatively pliant and weak in most societies. Look how much civil forfeiture has been okayed by courts here already.