Good Handheld cb Radio for Starter

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Good Handheld cb Radio for Starter

Post by Maddy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:02 am

I'm a total noob when it comes to radio, but CB and HAM are two completely different animals. I looked into CB earlier this year as a back-up means of home communication in the boonies and as something I could have in the car in the case of an emergency on mountainous, back roads. I figured that in a pinch at least nearby trucks, and those entities monitoring the emergency channel, would hear me. Alas, after two days of trying, some of which included traveling smack-dab down the main street of a small town, I didn't pick up a thing. Turns out that the range of CB is very limited even under the best topographical conditions.

HAM is another thing entirely, and I'm told that nowadays you can into a decent handheld radio for not too much money. I'm told that the best way of learning about HAM is to find the nearest club and start going to meetings.
klien321

Post by klien321 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:23 pm

I don't have any knowledge about. I just stay away from the walkies talkies.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:40 pm

Uh, where did the original post go? I didn't start this thread-- I just responded.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:28 pm

It ended up being a spammer: the thread originator responded with the product it had "chosen" and now recommends. The whole thing was a scam. I banned that user and deleted its posts, and that does leave this thread in a weird spot.

If you want me to delete the whole thread, Maddy, I'd be glad to.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:41 pm

No need to do anything further, Xan. Thanks for the explanation!
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:03 pm

The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure klein is a bot too, and this thread will end up just being the two of us talking to each other.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:25 pm

Ha! My impression of Klein was not that he was a bot, but rather that he had just won the prize for the most insubstantial poster on the forum.

Kind of reminds me of when you ask a product question on Amazon and get 10 different responses from 10 previous buyers, nine of which say some version of "I don't know."