Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Want to lose weight & treatment for diabetes

Post by stuper1 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:20 am

vnatale wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:26 pm
stuper1 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:34 am
I use a barbell for deadlifts but dumb bells for bench press and overhead press, because you can damage your shoulders easier using a barbell for presses. Much easier to get a natural motion on presses using dumb bells.
I only do four different barbell exercises all week.

Every day I start with the squat and end with the dead lift. Each day I rotate from the overhead press one day and then the bench press another.

Again for me....from reading the large Starting Strength book twice (it has 80 pages alone on how to do the proper squat)....it's been drilled into me that doing any exercise with barbells are more natural motion than using dumb bells.

When trying to lift a heavy box over my head to put it somewhere I am ALWAYS using two hands to do it...never just one.
It's not a question of how many hands you're using to lift something. It's a question of the position/angle of your hands relative to whatever you're lifting. With a barbell, your hands are fixed in the position/angle of the bar. With dumb bells your hands can rotate to whatever position is best for your particular body type. Maybe for you, you will never have problems doing presses with a barbell. Many other people have found that barbell presses cause shoulder problems because for them it's an unnatural motion to lift with the axes of their fists pointed directly at each other. I find a barbell press doesn't feel natural for me and feels like it's putting too much stress on my shoulders. When I do dumb bell presses, the dumb bells aren't pointed at each other, but are pointed at an angle outwards because my hands are rotated relative to each other.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Want to lose weight & treatment for diabetes

Post by vnatale » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:54 am

stuper1 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:20 am

It's not a question of how many hands you're using to lift something. It's a question of the position/angle of your hands relative to whatever you're lifting. With a barbell, your hands are fixed in the position/angle of the bar. With dumb bells your hands can rotate to whatever position is best for your particular body type. Maybe for you, you will never have problems doing presses with a barbell. Many other people have found that barbell presses cause shoulder problems because for them it's an unnatural motion to lift with the axes of their fists pointed directly at each other. I find a barbell press doesn't feel natural for me and feels like it's putting too much stress on my shoulders. When I do dumb bell presses, the dumb bells aren't pointed at each other, but are pointed at an angle outwards because my hands are rotated relative to each other.

You are correct regarding positioning. That is why the Starting Strength book devoted those (at least) 70+ pages to the proper way to do the squat. And, many, many pages to the correct way to do all the other exercises...including the bench press.

In contrast I've seen web pages where they are a diagram with a few words to tell you the proper way to do them!

I also bought the Starting Strength DVD and I'd play it for each exercise I was doing. I think I can still hear Mark R saying..."for those of you with [certain] shoulder problems while doing the bench press...you should do this.'

But I cannot really argue with your direct experience.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Ironized Yeast

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:01 am

weight.png
weight.png (613.71 KiB) Viewed 1660 times