Why the Allies Won

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Why the Allies Won

Post by Kbg »

I'll make this a separate post but it's related.

This is sort of a timely thread as I've been reading the memoirs of German generals from the first and second world wars...mainly the headline guys so to speak. A couple of months back I finished up Heinz Guderian's. Very fascinating to read their accounts and of course their spin. He made some interesting points about Hitler.

Hitler did have a certain talent militarily and he was very hard to refute after 1940 because he had basically been right about everything politico-militarily through the previous decade minus. However, Guderian said that Hitler just did not pick up on critical details (minutiae) nor their implications that a highly seasoned/experienced general did. And, because he wouldn't listen several not great decisions were made. Guderian makes the point that strategically Germany blew it on the eastern front in the summer of 1942. Basically took on too much in too many places and it was all down hill from there.

Another point he made was that Hitler was an unmitigated disaster when it came to waging defensive warfare...eventually disagreements in this phase of the war got Guderian fired, but not shot.

Finally, in his writing it's apparent the German high command was dysfunctional and did not work together well.

Side note: In reading the German generals' stuff there is one thing that has been a really strong thread that I've way underappreciated previously. It is very clear that they really did focus on their troops and their welfare. I've known this intellectually, but as I've read both senior and junior German participants' memoirs in both wars it really comes through and is distinctively different than US and Allied writings. Not that you don't see this in Allied memoirs, but my sense is the above was much more systemically inculcated in the German armies.
Last edited by Kbg on Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Kbg wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:56 pm

Long Term Goals of Hitler...literally, world domination. The grand strategy was to take out the Soviet Union, head down to Africa secure its west coast, cross the Atlantic into South America, join up with several South American countries and head north. He thought a war with the US was inevitable. IIRC this was all to happen 1947-48ish.

Thanks for the extremely voluminous response. To honor it...I did read every word twice.

In the past I have read a lot about WW II and all the years leading up to it (i.e., post WW I). For some reason this year I have been reading a ton about it.

In all my readings I do not believe that I've read anything that ever asserted what you have above. I would have always stated that Hitler's goal would have been confined (maximum) to be Europe excluding England, Russia, parts of North Africa (continent). But nothing beyond that.

Where do I go to get further information on what you stated above?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

vnatale wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:33 pm

Long Term Goals of Hitler...literally, world domination. The grand strategy was to take out the Soviet Union, head down to Africa secure its west coast, cross the Atlantic into South America, join up with several South American countries and head north. He thought a war with the US was inevitable. IIRC this was all to happen 1947-48ish.
Good catch...scratch the underlined part. I merged the first with the second that came from a great Netflix series. :-) I think I'm solid on the rest.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Kbg wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:47 pm
vnatale wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:33 pm

Good catch...scratch the underlined part. I merged the first with the second that came from a great Netflix series. :-) I think I'm solid on the rest.

What is the Netflix series?

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

Man in the High Castle

It's a great alt universe series. It was on for 4 years and they actually ended the story vs. ended the series...and I didn't get the location correct either. It's on Amazon Prime.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Kbg wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:19 am
Man in the High Castle

It's a great alt universe series. It was on for 4 years and they actually ended the story vs. ended the series...and I didn't get the location correct either. It's on Amazon Prime.

Oh, yes, I did see that on Amazon Prime.

I thought it had great promise but it definitely ending up disappointing my great expectations going into it.

That was my reaction after watching the first season and had hoped it would get much better for the second season. But, for me, my reaction was the same also for that season.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

For those interested in military matters...

I did remark here months ago after I'd watched this movie and how excellent it was:

Enemy at the Gates

https://www.amazon.com/Enemy-at-Gates-J ... 457&sr=8-3

Tonight I started reading the book upon which the movie was based:

Enemy at the Gates: The Battle for Stalingrad Kindle Edition
by William Craig

https://www.amazon.com/Enemy-at-the-Gat ... l_huc_item

It is also quite good.

It's following the pattern I like to take regarding movies / books.

First see the movie so that when I read the book I understand the big picture. Then that whole story gets improved upon by all the rich details in a book that are nowhere to be seen in the movie.

As I'm reading this book I'm remembering several scenes from the movie. The other result is that reading this book is motivating me to again see the movie as now I'll better appreciate the movie the second time around with all this added knowledge I've since acquired.

I don't know why, though, that while Amazon is telling me the movie is available free on Amazon Prime...when I click there I get: "This video is currently unavailable to watch in your location" Wonder if it is available at YOUR location??!!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:00 pm

They often have country restrictions due to licensing agreements. You can get around that by using a VPN with a foreign IP address while you watch.

You mean when I start my VPN choose for it to "appear" from another country?

I do, though, recall some things NOT working when I have my VPN turned on. And, they work fine once I shut down the VPM. Netflix?
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

vnatale wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:19 pm I do, though, recall some things NOT working when I have my VPN turned on. And, they work fine once I shut down the VPM. Netflix?
All of the big media companies know the IP addresses for the top VPN's. And they lock them out.