What is your prediction for the future of the forum?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Future of the forum?

Please note that results are sorted by decreasing number of votes received.

Entropy
44%
Ehthalpy
33%
Other
22%

Total votes: 9
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

What is your prediction for the future of the forum?

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:11 am

Will “new blood” revitalize fruitful conversation, bring back former contributors, or dissipate energy and slide us into irrelevant oblivion?
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: What is your prediction for the future of the forum?

Post by vnatale » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:25 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:11 am

Will “new blood” revitalize fruitful conversation, bring back former contributors, or dissipate energy and slide us into irrelevant oblivion?

I have never prior seen this word: Ehthalpy.

I just looked up three definitions for it and still do not understand what it means!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:53 am

“A thermodynamic function of a system, equivalent to the sum of the internal energy of the system plus the product of its volume multiplied by the pressure exerted on it by its surroundings.”

For the purpose of the poll, if you wish to select enthalpy, think of the current forum as the system, new blood as adding to the system, and the system’s energy as the sum of the energy of its members plus the pressure exerted on it by the culture and other external influences. I.e the forum will heat up and remain energized. Maybe a poor analogy but perhaps might help.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:51 pm

You mean thieves, not adults.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:29 pm

This forum will survive and thrive, but it will not have mainstream appeal. Browne's ideas and the whole idea of risk parity is not well taken in most financial planning circles. The gold aspect in particular (and openness to alt cash in general) gives a lot of people pause.

I don't mind that at all though. I've said this before and won't hesitate to say it again: exceptional approaches are, by definition, rare occurrences. Most people I chat with don't even know the difference between a stock and a bond. They would definitely not understand the nuanced thinking behind something like the PP.

I don't care for the political discussions, but I don't mind them either. The appeal of COVID discussions has also become somewhat lost on me. Nonetheless, I still treasure my time on this forum.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:44 pm

tomfoolery wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:33 pm
Don wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:51 pm
You mean thieves, not adults.
I won’t dispute that but to say, better to be led by thieves than liars. At least we can trust what our current administration says.
If you trust anything that Biden or Kamala say then you should shorten your name to tomfool.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:45 pm

"The gold aspect in particular (and openness to alt cash in general) gives a lot of people pause."

I predict that will change. That there will be a mad rush into precious metal allocations.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:54 pm

murphy_p_t wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:45 pm
"The gold aspect in particular (and openness to alt cash in general) gives a lot of people pause."

I predict that will change. That there will be a mad rush into precious metal allocations.
I hope you are correct.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:14 pm

Will pick up next time the market crashes

Or rates/ gold spike
No idea when that is of course (if i did, I'd already be rich and probably not around here 🙂 )

But, how the political discussions go, ugh
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:31 pm

Biden's been lying ever since he was a youngster. He lied about where he finished in his college class too.
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:32 pm

He dropped out of the race for plagiarizing too. Biden has no morals or ethics at all so just stop your nonsense.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:18 am

The future of the forum? Hmm.

Suspect Bernstein was correct and the forum will be very quiet until the next major crash.
<snip>
And therein lies the real problem with the TPP: because of its huge tracking error relative to more conventional portfolios, it attracts assets and adherents during crises, then sheds them in better times. Theres nothing wrong with Harrys portfolio, nothing at all, but there's everything wrong with his followers, who seem, on average, to chase performance the way dogs chase cars.
<snip>
http://www.efficientfrontier.com/ef/0adhoc/harry.htm

In the meantime I shall continue to check out Pugchiefs and Smithys dog photos ::)
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:04 pm

Alas, I have little hope that this forum is headed in a good direction. Even this thread has already devolved into a political "discussion". I don't know where the happy medium is for political discussions, but, from my point of view, that is at least 80% of the content here. I'm a fairly liberal person historically and for a long time this place was a good source for opposing views because we really talked about things. That was a huge plus for years. Now, not so much.

Before Mountaineer started this thread I had been thinking about starting one that essentially would ask what the competitive advantage of this forum is. If I want to discuss politics, I can just call up my sister or talk to one of my local friends who generally leans more right than I. For questions about taxes, how to execute a solo 401(k) rollover, when to claim SS, or a host of other investing/finance topics, I can and do go to (gasp) Bogleheads.

Cortopassi left (or at least is taking a long break) because he found this forum to be depressing. I believe many others have just left or become very scarce for similar reasons.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:41 pm

Spot on Barrett...

It’s like this site has Alzheimer’s and can’t recapture the pure discussions and thought processes that allowed it to flourish in the first place. I read the political comments and I’d say maybe 1% makes any sense to me. How relevant it is to PP investing is probably that amount as well.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:16 pm

tomfoolery wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:31 pm
I guess there's just not as much to discuss now that adults are running the country again.
So, i think we're close politically, but, this is part of my concern here is making derogatorily statements about the other side.

And then, the ball gets picked up from both sides and the thread runs with it
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:16 pm

the politics here mostly used to be economics - investing related..
now that everything is "political" every topic is degenerating into politics.. it is sad, and makes the forum less interesting but "this to shall pass"
personally i am burnt out on politics, and the PP is still a set it and forget it investment strategy, so until there is an influx of new investors to share the ins and outs with, or some exiting events in he market, i suspect we will continue to see mostly sideways movement in the forum posting patterns.
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:25 pm

Is it mostly left of center people who get butt-hurt if someone writes something on the Internet with which they don't agree with? (That is my sense of things.)

Assuming that's the case, is it because left wingers view positions which challenge their ideology as a blasphemy and/or heresy?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:42 pm

That's the thing about organic discussions that are really meaningful and thoughtful: they're like capturing lightning in a bottle.

I've never been able to force a good conversation, either in person or online. They just happen when they happen. They well up from the ether on their own. I don't think it's something we should worry about either. People's beliefs change, and people will come and go (miss you, dualstow).

Maybe we should all get super drunk one night and schedule a Zoom call. Problem solved.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:56 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:42 pm
Maybe we should all get super drunk one night and schedule a Zoom call. Problem solved.
Yes. One night, only.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:56 pm

tomfoolery wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:54 pm
You have it backwards. It's the alt right extremists who freak out when a common sense, middle-of-the road person suggests wearing masks even past getting a vaccination.

Who stormed the Capitol during the darkest day of America's history? Was it left-of-center people?

Who gunned down peaceful BLM protesters in Kenosha?

Who is buying up all of the guns threatening to destabilize democracy?

Who is creating the worst most restrictive anti-voting laws since that make Jim Crow look like a card-carrying member of the NAACP?
Sir, this is a Wendy's.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:54 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:42 pm
Um, i think that would likely escalate REALLY fast 🙂

🍺🍷🥃🍸

==

😱
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:19 pm

Dieter wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:54 pm

Um, i think that would likely escalate REALLY fast 🙂

🍺🍷🥃🍸

==

😱
Ahhhh, you used a double equals to signal equality.

GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:40 pm

Hal wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:18 am
The future of the forum? Hmm.

Suspect Bernstein was correct and the forum will be very quiet until the next major crash.
<snip>
And therein lies the real problem with the TPP: because of its huge tracking error relative to more conventional portfolios, it attracts assets and adherents during crises, then sheds them in better times. Theres nothing wrong with Harrys portfolio, nothing at all, but there's everything wrong with his followers, who seem, on average, to chase performance the way dogs chase cars.
<snip>
http://www.efficientfrontier.com/ef/0adhoc/harry.htm

In the meantime I shall continue to check out Pugchiefs and Smithys dog photos ::)
I never felt that quote fit - If you follow the TPP then you do not chase performance - you mitigate the deep drop

The folks that chase performance will bounce around from "hot" portfolio to "hot" portfolio
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:22 pm

PP is risk-free return portfolio.

When i feel right... Ramp up variable port