Universal Basic Income for Poor Blacks in Financial Crisis
20%
Billionaire Crisis
40%

Total votes: 5
snedgar

Re: COVIDs done, Vote On Next Major Issue

Post by snedgar » Tue May 25, 2021 2:13 pm

If you didn't do such a perfect parody, I'd mistake you for being serious.

Keep rockin' it, Tom.

;)
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue May 25, 2021 3:04 pm

You forgot the Price Gouging Crisis.

Prices for almost everything are rising quickly due to greedy capitalists exploiting the wounded post-Covid economy that Trump stuck us with. Tackling that crisis will almost certainly require price controls and/or new regulations.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue May 25, 2021 3:47 pm

tomfoolery wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 2:03 pm
Now that Biden has gotten covid under control we should figure out what topics to hit next.
It's between student debt, UBI, kill the billionaires. All of the others are already stale and losing traction. Mo money mo money mo money!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue May 25, 2021 3:53 pm

The only crisis that matters! Tossing the source of absolute truth to the wolves.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Tue May 25, 2021 3:53 pm

Covid crisis is just beginning.

Unvaccinated and vaccinated children exposed to coronavirus are 99% asymptomatic.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... t-symptoms

I would have said motor vehicle deaths was next big thing to tackle but I think that one is being handled already with car production lines being shutdown and gas shortages. So that should work itself out.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue May 25, 2021 4:10 pm

Actually I would think we are soon to be hearing about the housing affordability crisis. POC have only a fraction of the household wealth of white households. Can't get mortgages, can't afford the high prices. There will probably be a big government "solution" enacted. After all home ownership is a basic right. Otherwise, racism.

Tax credits?
Forced lending/ weaker standards
Zoning changes to encourage smaller, higher density single family homes.

But the beauty of the other list is, tackling the student debt crisis, the billionaire crisis, and enacting UBI will all work too! It's just too good not to do them, and fix everything. Easy peasy.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue May 25, 2021 5:37 pm

tomfoolery wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 4:26 pm
I Shrugged wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 4:10 pm
Actually I would think we are soon to be hearing about the housing affordability crisis. POC have only a fraction of the household wealth of white households. Can't get mortgages, can't afford the high prices. There will probably be a big government "solution" enacted. After all home ownership is a basic right. Otherwise, racism.
That's not a crisis, it's an intentional and very good outcome of recent macroeconomic events.

The very idea of home ownership is what leads to wealth inequality. The world will be a much better place when everyone is a renter.

Right now, if a person of color or non-binary individual is at a job where they get discriminated against, they keep their heads down and accept the hate. Because they have to make the next mortgage payment.

Imagine a world where there were no mortgage payments, because no one owned a home. Those discriminated employees could just as easily walk out. Because also, we'd have reasonable eviction standards in place where if you left your job due to discrimination, then you can't be evicted for non-payment of rent.

But, UBI will cover the rent anyway.

What we need to make America stronger is less "skin in the game", because that's just a white supremacists codeword for controlling the lower class and keeping them down. As they get richer and richer.
https://medium.com/illumination/in-2030 ... b2835bd3d1
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue May 25, 2021 6:08 pm

It would be hard to be more wrong than the 8 predictions in that article.

By 2030? I would put six of them at a hard "no". The other two (six and eight) as possible, but still not likely.
If you allow a century, then the odds change.
1. “You’ll own nothing” — And “you’ll be happy about it.”
2. “The U.S. won’t be the world’s leading superpower.”
3. “You won’t die waiting for an organ donor”
4. “You’ll eat much less meat”
5. “A billion people will be displaced by climate change.”
6. “Polluters will have to pay to emit carbon dioxide”
7. “You could be preparing to go to Mars” — “Scientists will have worked out how to keep you healthy in space.”
8. “Western values will have been tested to the breaking point.” — “Checks and balances that underpin our democracies must not be forgotten.”
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Tue May 25, 2021 8:31 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 3:53 pm
The only crisis that matters! Tossing the source of absolute truth to the wolves.
how about taking a step closer to the source i.e. why this happens--pick a name marxism, cultural marxism, etc.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Tue May 25, 2021 9:28 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 6:08 pm
It would be hard to be more wrong than the 8 predictions in that article.

By 2030? I would put six of them at a hard "no". The other two (six and eight) as possible, but still not likely.
If you allow a century, then the odds change.
1. “You’ll own nothing” — And “you’ll be happy about it.”
2. “The U.S. won’t be the world’s leading superpower.”
3. “You won’t die waiting for an organ donor”
4. “You’ll eat much less meat”
5. “A billion people will be displaced by climate change.”
6. “Polluters will have to pay to emit carbon dioxide”
7. “You could be preparing to go to Mars” — “Scientists will have worked out how to keep you healthy in space.”
8. “Western values will have been tested to the breaking point.” — “Checks and balances that underpin our democracies must not be forgotten.”
No interest in Mars. Call me when a ship full humans is headed to Uranus.

Mark, i meant call me this weekend.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed May 26, 2021 5:50 am

Benko wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:31 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 3:53 pm
how about taking a step closer to the source i.e. why this happens--pick a name marxism, cultural marxism, etc.
Man (in general and individually) has made himself a god. His source of identity, meaning and security is himself; sometimes equated with postmodernism philosophy. Thus, man no longer believes in the single source of absolute truth.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Wed May 26, 2021 11:20 am

Simonjester wrote: i don't know what the next major issue (crisis) will be, but the only solution that will be tried is more spending, more government, more spending, more government, more spending, more government, more spending, more government, more spending, more government......

i am certain it will work this time :o
It only works if everyone agrees it's working and doesn't look at objective results.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Wed May 26, 2021 11:42 am

It always works if you argue that the outcome probably would have been worse without more government or more spending.
Simonjester wrote:
THIS...
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed May 26, 2021 1:17 pm

I think Tom may be on to something here.

The 9/11 Terrorist threat seems to have been eradicated by the Covid.

I just made it through TSA and I didn't have to remove anything from my bag before the scan and they didn't tear my bag apart after the scan. (They always spend 30 minutes dissecting my bag).

So... I'm not sure what the new Major Issue is/(will be?) but it is a great system that we can only have one cataclysmic threat going on at a time. I've never been good at multi-tasking.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed May 26, 2021 4:27 pm

In Illinois, which can't print money, the major crisis is how to pay the pensions of well-to-do retired public workers.
UBI won't fix it, but the Feds can do a bailout.
Otherwise the problem frames as poor people vs. well to do retired people who vote the same way as the poor people.
Quite a conundrum. But that can is being kicked down the road.

So, based on current legislative activity, the major issues are:
Converting possession of medium amounts of heroin, fentanyl, etc. from felonies to misdemeanors because racism.
And, teaching sex starting in kindergarten, and transgender choices to fifth graders. So, the transgender crisis, which apparently Illinois is going to solve. Tom I think you left the trans crisis off your list.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed May 26, 2021 4:55 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 4:27 pm
In Illinois, which can't print money, the major crisis is how to pay the pensions of well-to-do retired public workers.
Otherwise the problem frames as poor people vs. well to do retired people who vote the same way as the poor people.
States that didn't mismanage their funds will (I certainly hope!) raise hell if there's a federal bailout of state pensions.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Wed May 26, 2021 5:14 pm

Xan wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 4:55 pm
I Shrugged wrote:
States that didn't mismanage their funds will (I certainly hope!) raise hell if there's a federal bailout of state pensions.
You don't think any of the state bailout funds under the Covid bills are going to be used to prop up the ailing state pension systems?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed May 26, 2021 5:16 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 5:14 pm
Xan wrote:
I Shrugged wrote:
You don't think any of the state bailout funds under the Covid bills are going to be used to prop up the ailing state pension systems?
If each state is being given $X/citizen, or some such, and some states use that to prop up pensions and others use it for other things, that's less of an obvious issue than if poorly-managed states get more $ than non-poorly-managed states.

But maybe the drive to spend, spend, spend and create inflation is partially a way to relieve the burden of these pension obligations.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed May 26, 2021 6:44 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:33 pm
Xan wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 5:16 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 5:14 pm
Xan wrote:
I Shrugged wrote:
If each state is being given $X/citizen, or some such, and some states use that to prop up pensions and others use it for other things, that's less of an obvious issue than if poorly-managed states get more $ than non-poorly-managed states.

But maybe the drive to spend, spend, spend and create inflation is partially a way to relieve the burden of these pension obligations.
I can't speak for other states, but not in IL. There is a 3% COLA compounded annually regardless of the actual rate of inflation.
If actual inflation gets to, say, 10%, then that 3% COLA will be eaten up quickly.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Thu May 27, 2021 8:18 am

There really are free lunches!

Makes me feel dumb for all the years I worked hard. What a fool I was.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Thu May 27, 2021 8:59 am

COVIDs done, Vote On Next Major Issue

Not done here :P Under house arrest for a week (or more?) from midnight.
Wonder how long it will stretch out for this time?

Enjoy your freedom in the US and elsewhere!

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory ... s-77935216
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Thu May 27, 2021 5:31 pm

Should have had an option for All of the Above.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Thu May 27, 2021 6:36 pm

Hal wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 8:59 am
COVIDs done, Vote On Next Major Issue

Not done here :P Under house arrest for a week (or more?) from midnight.
Wonder how long it will stretch out for this time?

Enjoy your freedom in the US and elsewhere!

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory ... s-77935216
What is it with Victoria??? They expect zero COVID cases? 26 positive tests and they go berserk? I can't believe what you are going through, Hal.

And why is there an acting premier? What happened to Dan?