Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Paging Tyler

Post by stuper1 » Sun May 16, 2021 3:52 pm

Hi Tyler,

I have some questions for you. I have long admired your website for it's classic, simple look, along with the excellent information and tools you have created. I'm thinking about creating a website on a science topic that fascinates me, nothing to do with investing or finance. This would just be a hobby project of mine, nothing serious. Do you mind saying what kind of software was used to create/maintain your website? Also, do you have any tips on finding a good web hosting service? Any other tips you can provide, say good books I could read on the process of creating a website, or any other tips. Thank you in advance for whatever you feel comfortable saying in response. As you can tell, I'm a complete newbie at this stuff. That's another reason I want to do this, just to give me an excuse to learn how to create/maintain a website.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Paging Tyler

Post by Tyler » Mon May 17, 2021 10:19 am

I've always found that taking the time to organize your thoughts clearly enough to publish them on a website is a really rewarding way to explore the things you find most interesting. So starting one is a great idea.

Personally, I use a combination of Wordpress for the site and Excel for the interactive charts. I highly recommend Wordpress.com (run by the inventors of Wordpress) as a hosting service, especially if you're just getting started. You can sign up for a completely free page to get your feet wet, and it's dead simple to use with lots of great built-in features and no tech knowledge needed on your end at all. It's also easy to scale at an affordable price.

As far as books go, I have nothing to recommend as I'm completely self-taught. So just dive in and explore! I guess the first thing I'd probably look for when you get going is to find a Wordpress theme (the setting that controls the default layout and aesthetic of the site) that works for you. Once you find that and learn how posts and pages work, you'll be up and running in no time.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Paging Tyler

Post by stuper1 » Mon May 17, 2021 12:47 pm

Thank you very much, Tyler. Much appreciated.