Moderator: Global Moderator

Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Reasons why I will not be getting injected for the Wuhan

Post by Tortoise » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:20 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:00 am
Also interesting that NYC now would require you to carry a smartphone, since the vaccine passport is a phone app. Many people don't have smartphones, and - you guessed it - race & minority status is a rather large determinant. Oh I can't wait!!!
That's what I initially thought, too, but Cuomo's press release about the vaccine passport says people can display their pass either on their smartphone app or a printout.

If someone doesn't own a smartphone, however, I'd say there's also a good chance they lack convenient access to a printer. So yeah, it'll be a thorn in the side of anyone who's low on the socioeconomic ladder.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:23 pm

I don’t even know anyone at any level without even an older smart phone
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:32 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:23 pm
SomeDude, mathjak just stole your logic. ;)
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:39 pm

Equity is the new vibe.

Uncle Joe will get everyone who can't afford one...a Bidenphone, courtesy of the taxpayer
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:40 pm

I mean, is there any reason to think that a lack of equity will slow down their plans?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:51 pm

murphy_p_t wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:31 pm
Nah... Handing down decisions without considering evidence, based upon prejudicial decision making... Hiding behind specious arguments to justify political agendas. Or just dismissing cases out of hand, when examining facts is too inconvenient.
There's usually a winning and losing side in a court case, right?

You are detailing the normal moaning of millions of court case losers over the centuries, this latest episode not being any different or special. Just louder and longer because so many were vested in the outcome they did not get.

Assuming I correctly ascertained what you are complaining about....
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:01 pm

murphy_p_t wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:58 am
This looks to be a rather complete and compelling indictment against the vaccine salesman, posted only for reason- and evidence-based investigation. Karl denninger, take it away...

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=241875
Pretty epic post. The rebuttal will be "but he uses strong words in bold and underline and all caps, like some kind of psycho!"
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:52 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:01 pm
murphy_p_t wrote:
This looks to be a rather complete and compelling indictment against the vaccine salesman, posted only for reason- and evidence-based investigation. Karl denninger, take it away...

Pretty epic post. The rebuttal will be "but he uses strong words in bold and underline and all caps, like some kind of psycho!"
Seriously?
Karl Denninger is an American technology businessman, finance blogger, and political activist, sometimes referred to as a founding member of the Tea Party movement.
Here's my favorite line:
Age is the primary determinant of risk. FALSE; obesity and the panoply of health conditions caused and exacerbated by being a fat-ass is the primary determinant of risk..... Obesity is in each and every instance a lifestyle choice.
There's one for the medical journals. Primary risk factor for COVID-19? Answer: Being a fat-ass. So remove these cases from the death counts because it's the patient's own fault for choosing to be a fat-ass.

Notably absent, any citation or source for his many unassailable opinions. I think his blog post belongs in the Onion.

I really wonder some days what the litmus test for credibility has become. Simply saying what a particular tribe wanted to hear in the first place? For that you win the badge of designated expert of the echo chamber?
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:11 pm

glennds wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:52 pm
flyingpylon wrote:
murphy_p_t wrote:

Seriously?
Karl Denninger is an American technology businessman, finance blogger, and political activist, sometimes referred to as a founding member of the Tea Party movement.
Here's my favorite line:
Age is the primary determinant of risk. FALSE; obesity and the panoply of health conditions caused and exacerbated by being a fat-ass is the primary determinant of risk..... Obesity is in each and every instance a lifestyle choice.
There's one for the medical journals. Primary risk factor for COVID-19? Answer: Being a fat-ass. So remove these cases from the death counts because it's the patient's own fault for choosing to be a fat-ass.

Notably absent, any citation or source for his many unassailable opinions. I think his blog post belongs in the Onion.

I really wonder some days what the litmus test for credibility has become. Simply saying what a particular tribe wanted to hear in the first place? For that you win the badge of designated expert of the echo chamber?
I don't necessarily think that everything Denninger writes is unassailable truth. And clearly his style turns many people off. But it's also true that The Experts are often wrong or lie outright, so it's hard to know what to believe or what the word "credible" even means anymore. I think it's worth considering opinions other than the ones we're told to have.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:08 pm

glennds wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:52 pm
flyingpylon wrote:
murphy_p_t wrote:

Seriously?
Here's my favorite line:

You've outlined exactly why I stopped reading him and am much better for it. Blow hard know it all, without a shred of decency...kind of reminds me of someone...oops this isn't politics....
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:36 pm

I'm not a doctor, nor a statistician, but I've heard some of the indicated comorbidities are closely related to obesity.

Results: A total of 41 studies included in this study comprised of 27 670 samples. The most common pre-existing comorbidities in COVID-19 patients were hypertension (39.5%), cardiovascular disease (12.4%), and diabetes (25.2%). The higher likelihood of deaths was found among COVID-19 patients who had pre-existing cardiovascular diseases (odds ratio (OR) = 3.42, 95% confidence interval (CI) = 2.86-4.09), immune and metabolic disorders (OR = 2.46, 95% CI = 2.03-2.85), respiratory diseases (OR = 1.94, 95% CI = 1.72-2.19), cerebrovascular diseases (OR = 4.12, 95% CI = 3.04-5.58), any types of cancers (OR = 2.22, 95% CI = 1.63-3.03), renal (OR = 3.02, 95% CI = 2.60-3.51), and liver diseases (OR = 2.35, 95% CI = 1.50-3.69).

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33110586/

So.... It seems like the biggest complaints about denninger are his politics (ad hominem) and he doesn't post enough hyperlinks.
Last edited by murphy_p_t on Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:37 pm

I'm waiting for a little fauci to post some hyperlinks supporting his totalitarian diktats.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:53 pm

murphy_p_t wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:36 pm
I'm not a doctor, nor a statistician, but I've heard some of the indicated comorbidities are closely related to obesity.

Results: A total of 41 studies included in this study comprised of 27 670 samples. The most common pre-existing comorbidities in COVID-19 patients were hypertension (39.5%), cardiovascular disease (12.4%), and diabetes (25.2%). The higher likelihood of deaths was found among COVID-19 patients who had pre-existing cardiovascular diseases (odds ratio (OR) = 3.42, 95% confidence interval (CI) = 2.86-4.09), immune and metabolic disorders (OR = 2.46, 95% CI = 2.03-2.85), respiratory diseases (OR = 1.94, 95% CI = 1.72-2.19), cerebrovascular diseases (OR = 4.12, 95% CI = 3.04-5.58), any types of cancers (OR = 2.22, 95% CI = 1.63-3.03), renal (OR = 3.02, 95% CI = 2.60-3.51), and liver diseases (OR = 2.35, 95% CI = 1.50-3.69).

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33110586/

So.... It seems like the biggest complaints about denninger are his politics (ad hominem) and he doesn't post enough hyperlinks.
It's more than that.
It's hard to take someone seriously when he has no relevant background yet he is writing with authority on a medical science subject AND characterizes obesity as being "a fat-ass" and declares that the condition is in each and every instance a lifestyle choice.

Taken as one layperson's opinion expressed in a blog post, it's perfectly acceptable.
But for me, I'd feel the need to look further before accepting any of Mr. Denninger's opinions as credible facts, as appealing as some of them might be on the surface. That's all I'm saying.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:59 pm

His overarching argument is that you should also do the same thing for fauci et al
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:47 pm

Explosive comments from Dr. Michael Yeadon, a former Vice President and Chief Science Officer for Pfizer, spoke with great urgency to America’s Frontline Doctors (AFLDS)...

https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinion/fo ... population
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:22 am

murphy_p_t wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:59 pm
His overarching argument is that you should also do the same thing for fauci et al
Valid point.
All sides, all opinions should be held to task on an issue as important as this.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:51 am

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:32 pm
mathjak107 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:23 pm
SomeDude, mathjak just stole your logic. ;)
It's actually the opposite. If instead the media and government were coming out all day every day saying we have to lose all our rights because of a smartphone pandemic, and mathjak said he didn't even know a single person who owned one, that would be closer. ;D
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:26 am

Why are you guys still droning on about this?

Get the jab or don't, take the consequences either way. With the vaccine widely available it's a different situation now.

If our mask freedom fighters can't get on an airplane, oh well, drive. Can't travel internationally, oh well, the Grand Canyon is still a really cool place to take a vacation to.

Do us all a favor, just don't whine about it here. It's getting old.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:41 am

See the faces of some of the victims....those who obeyed the drum beat of propaganda...

https://thecovidblog.com/
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:14 am

Kbg wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:26 am

Get the jab or don't, take the consequences either way. With the vaccine widely available it's a different situation now.

If our mask freedom fighters can't get on an airplane, oh well, drive. Can't travel internationally, oh well, the Grand Canyon is still a really cool place to take a vacation to.

Tell me about it.

When the government steals your First Amendment right to freely assemble and then generously offers to give some of it back if you simply jump through a new mandatory hoop, it's a simple choice. Either jump through the new hoop and regain some of your prior freedom, or don't.

A vaccine passport is such an easy hoop to jump through. It's a no-brainer. What's all the hullabaloo about?
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:30 am

Tortoise wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:14 am
Kbg wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:26 am

Tell me about it.

When the government steals your First Amendment right to freely assemble and then generously offers to give some of it back if you simply jump through a new mandatory hoop, it's a simple choice. Either jump through the new hoop and regain some of your prior freedom, or don't.

A vaccine passport is such an easy hoop to jump through. It's a no-brainer. What's all the hullabaloo about?
Not sure how a vaccine passport violates your ability to freely assemble? Free in this case does not mean conveniently, cheaply or using a conveyance of your choosing. It means you can get together for a political purpose. A passport by definition is a restriction, no doubt. Get a shot, get a passport, simple. Don't get a shot, be inconvenienced, also simple.

As I mentioned, no whining.

Just jump on a motorcycle and head to Sturgis, SD. If someone prevents you from doing that, let me know and I'll worry.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:00 pm

Kbg wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:30 am
Not sure how a vaccine passport violates your ability to freely assemble? Free in this case does not mean conveniently, cheaply or using a conveyance of your choosing. It means you can get together for a political purpose. A passport by definition is a restriction, no doubt. Get a shot, get a passport, simple. Don't get a shot, be inconvenienced, also simple.
The First Amendment violation was when the governments mandated business closures and capacity restrictions. The vaccine passport is the new hoop that the government created that one can jump through to get back some of one's stolen freedom.

In the case of NYC (and possibly other places; we'll see), the vaccine passport isn't actually mandated. The government just gives privileged status to businesses that use the vaccine passports. Meaning those "privileged" businesses get more of their stolen freedom back. But the point is that the government shouldn't have stolen that freedom in the first place.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:18 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:49 am
It is like when our knucklehead president said stop all the testing and we will have less cases ...ha ha
Trump took a lot of heat for that quote but isn't there a point to be made on that? Prior to Covid, if people woke up in the morning and felt flu-like symptoms, what did they do? They most likely stayed in bed and slept until they felt better. Some even ventured into work and just fought it off. After Covid what do most people do? Run out and get a test. The owner of my company has had himself tested 5 times in the last year, pretty much every time he has the sniffles. As WiseOne has pointed out many times, in this new Covid world a positive test equals a "case." So if anyone and everyone is testing constantly then aren't cases always going to be at a certain level? What would "the science" tell us about the frequency of other illnesses if the volume of people that do Covid testing also tested for other sicknesses every time they felt under the weather?

These are the type of things I never hear discussed on the news over the past year. I would be far less of an "alt right science denier" if I heard these type of things explored. Or maybe a discussion on why, despite drastically different solutions, there was little difference between hospitalizations and deaths per capita in states like California and Connecticut which continue to lock down hard and states like Florida or South Dakota which remained relatively mandate free. Florida is 27th in per capita Covid deaths, California 28th. I want to hear honest discussions on statistics like that and what that means for the assumed solutions of distancing, masks, lockdowns etc. I feel like all I have heard on either side is propaganda and slogans (#stayhomesavelives).
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:21 pm

Not to mention that vaccine passports could be construed as an illegal attempt to coerce you (as a patient) into subjecting yourself to an experimental therapy. The laws against that are quite explicit.

For example, in IRB protocols and consent forms I have to write several paragraphs carefully explaining how patient care will not differ regardless of whether a patient declines to participate in studies, plus we aren't allowed to offer patients financial incentives, no matter how small, lest that be construed as a form of coercion.

Bottom line is that vaccine passports as they are intended in NYC will never stand up to a court challenge, as long as the court is populated by people who know and abide by federal as well as state law. Ironically, New York has its own set of laws regulating medical research that are even stricter than the federal ones.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:36 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:18 pm
Prior to Covid, if people woke up in the morning and felt flu-like symptoms, what did they do? They most likely stayed in bed and slept until they felt better. Some even ventured into work and just fought it off. After Covid what do most people do? Run out and get a test. The owner of my company has had himself tested 5 times in the last year, pretty much every time he has the sniffles. As WiseOne has pointed out many times, in this new Covid world a positive test equals a "case." So if anyone and everyone is testing constantly then aren't cases always going to be at a certain level?
Thanks for making this point jalanlong!!

This is exactly why I think it will be a very long time before the ongoing life disruption will end. There will always be positive tests because the virus is endemic and won't go away. Will the whole gang of the CDC, Fauci, Birx, etc plus the news media with their newfound medical credentials ever realize their mistake and reverse course??

Not likely. Not ever. I foresee that the only way this will end is that people will simply start ignoring the mandates, the media will find something else to entertain themselves with, and Fauci et al will quietly slink off the stage. And yes, testing in the community (as opposed to testing of patients with COVID symptoms in hospitals, to help confirm the diagnosis) needs to stop. That is what will make this whole nightmare go away. Vaccination of the most vulnerable....yes, that's already proving helpful, but it's already been done and you can see it's having no effect on case counts. Nor on the level of hysteria. So that's not the way out of this mess.