Moderator: Global Moderator

jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Reasons why I will not be getting injected for the Wuhan

Post by jalanlong »

tomfoolery wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:19 pm
Cortopassi wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:00 pm
Year is 2031. You are 10 years older. Covid is an endemic disease, like flu. Variants every year. Covide shot is like a flu shot, most people just get it, maybe feel bad for 24 hours, and move on. All covid vaccines have long ago moved from experimental stage to general use.

So in 2031: Are you getting a Covid shot? Are you getting a flu shot? Are you getting your kids their standard vaccinations? Are you getting the shingles shots if applicable to your age?
This is a good question, asked retrospectively -- for those who aren't getting COVID vaccines, do you get the flu shot each year, the previous decade?

Here's some possibilities:

People who have gotten the flu shot each year, but did not get the COVID shot because it's too new of a technology and they dont trust it, but the flu shot is old tech, and they aren't anti-vaccine in general.

People who do not get the flu shot each year, and also do not get the COVID shot, because they'd rather their immune system deal with the flu naturally, they are low risk for hospitalization from the flu, they dont believe the flu shot that was developed a year in advance actually will stop the flu strain that will wind up occuring in nature that year, or maybe simply dont want the hassle of getting it.

Personally, I never got the flu shot, and I never got the flu. I didn't want the hassle of going to a pharmacy, showing my ID, have my personal information entered into their system, paying $30, or dealing with my high deductible health insurance which probably covers it for free, having my arm potentially be sore for a few hours or a day, all for dubious benefit because the flu shot makers can only speculate on what the strand of flu is likely to look like that year. How good are they at speculating? I'm not sure, and I'd be curious to know.

Lots of minor downsides to getting the flu shot, mostly inconveniences, and since I've never gotten the flu once, it seems like I bet my chips correctly.

I've never been in a car accident but do not feel like wearing a seatbelt all of these years is wasted. Because if I was in a car accident, the seatbelt could protect against a lifetime of sideeffects from the excessive trauma. This is a risk mitigation tool that differs from the flu shot, in that if I get the flu, it's gone in a week one way or another (if I die). If I get into a car crash and smash my head into the windshield, I'm dealing with a lifetime of disabilities.

For similar reasons, I would like to get the shingles vaccine. I dont mind if I get the flu for a week. I very much want to avoid a virus embedding themselves on my nerve cells for the rest of my life with sporadic massively painful outbreaks forever. And yeah, I might die from the flu.

What if I told you that if you took 20 minutes out of your day today to do some ritual, you'd be protected from dying of lightning strike. Do you spend the 20 minutes? Dying of being hit by lightning sounds horrific. And for only 20 minutes of hassle you can get a lifetime of protection. Is it worth the 20 minutes? Maybe. But what if for another 20 minutes you can have a lifetime of protection against being eaten by a gizzly bear? And another 20 minutes to do a ritual that will deter shark attacks?

At some point your entire life is wasted trying to mitigate miniscule risks. When you could have been eating healthy and going to the gym during that time. And then during your leisure time, actually enjoying life. Buying a mini cooper to drive around the country eating expertly-prepared steaks and drinking fine spirits.
If safety is really everyone's primary concern then how about we come out with a nationwide 20 MPH speed limit? That would save millions of lives, lower the burden on hospitals, reduce insurance premiums etc. Of course if I proposed that I would get laughed off of the stage. Why? Because of the loss of time to all of our lives. We would spend a lot more time on the road instead of working or being at home with our families. The wheels of commerce would grind to a halt. As a society we have decided that the added risk of driving 30, 40 or 50 MPH is worth it for the added quality of our lives.

Why is this not valid with Covid? Why is the goal on this one particular item to be safety at all costs? If that was the bar at which we set society then we would have a very different world than the one we have lived in for years. No more swimming, skiing, mountain climbing. Leaving your house in general would be frowned upon. Is this where we are headed? I think about that every time I hear Biden or one of his mouthpieces say something to the effect of "My goal is to save lives. Period."
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong »

Smith1776 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:09 pm If it turns out that global travel and public activities are restricted to only those who are vaccinated, will the unvaccinated here acquiesce?
Absolutely not. On principle alone I would not comply. For me it has nothing to do with any supposed "conspiracy theories" about the vaccine. I do not feel that is a politician's job to determine my health choices in life and certainly not injecting something into my body. If it ever comes to that I will use a fake vaccine card or just not travel or attend any public activity requiring it.

Same with my son at school. I will go along with the mask requirement but that is it. If they force him to take this vaccine or if they go the Los Angeles route and force test him at school every 7 days then I am removing him from the system.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

jalanlong wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:40 pm

If safety is really everyone's primary concern then how about we come out with a nationwide 20 MPH speed limit? That would save millions of lives, lower the burden on hospitals, reduce insurance premiums etc. Of course if I proposed that I would get laughed off of the stage. Why? Because of the loss of time to all of our lives. We would spend a lot more time on the road instead of working or being at home with our families. The wheels of commerce would grind to a halt. As a society we have decided that the added risk of driving 30, 40 or 50 MPH is worth it for the added quality of our lives.

Why is this not valid with Covid? Why is the goal on this one particular item to be safety at all costs? If that was the bar at which we set society then we would have a very different world than the one we have lived in for years. No more swimming, skiing, mountain climbing. Leaving your house in general would be frowned upon. Is this where we are headed? I think about that every time I hear Biden or one of his mouthpieces say something to the effect of "My goal is to save lives. Period."

The above is the example I always use when thinking about all the money that is spent both hardening all schools and making them more secure against extremely low probability events.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

jalanlong wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:52 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:09 pm
If it turns out that global travel and public activities are restricted to only those who are vaccinated, will the unvaccinated here acquiesce?

Absolutely not. On principle alone I would not comply. For me it has nothing to do with any supposed "conspiracy theories" about the vaccine. I do not feel that is a politician's job to determine my health choices in life and certainly not injecting something into my body. If it ever comes to that I will use a fake vaccine card or just not travel or attend any public activity requiring it.

Same with my son at school. I will go along with the mask requirement but that is it. If they force him to take this vaccine or if they go the Los Angeles route and force test him at school every 7 days then I am removing him from the system.

Just received this regarding mask wearing for the coed softball team I will be coaching for its season starting this Sunday. Makes no reference vaccinations.

Vinny

Per order of Northampton Board of Health:
Masks must be worn in the dugouts, benches, and other common seating areas for outdoor moderate and high risk contact team sports.

Therefore, players must wear a mask when on the bench/team area not playing. Spectators must wear a mask when they cannot maintain social distance with people from outside of their family.

From the order:
Masks must be worn in the dugouts, benches, and other common seating areas for outdoor moderate and high risk contact team sports including but not limited to;
- Baseball, softball, track and field, volleyball, soccer, running clubs, team swimming, volleyball, dance class, fencing, field hockey, soccer, football, wrestling, rugby, basketball, lacrosse, ice-hockey, competitive cheer, martial arts, ultimate Frisbee, boxing, pair figure skating
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Since when is softball considered a "contact sport", let alone a high-risk one?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

vnatale wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:41 pm Regarding the shingles shot. I have not got one because since I take no drugs I chose the cheapest monthly Medicare drug plan. Which means I'd essentially be paying for that shingles shot.
I don’t quite understand. I mean, shingles of course is not something you’d spread like measles or covid, but I would think the suffering + lost productivity from getting singles — it’s downright nasty and can cause blindness if you get it in the eyes — would be more than what it costs.

Disclosure: I pay for everything out of pocket except flu shots, and even with those i now have to send my insurer receipts to get reimbursed.
I’m at the age now where I want/need the shingles shot. I’m just waiting for a break from all this covid stuff.

I repeat: shingles is nasty.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Maybe they don’t mean “high contact” in the sense of impact, but rather contact in the covid sense.
DITM
www.allterraininvesting.com
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Cortopassi wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:00 pm murph and others of similar thoughts:

Year is 2031. You are 10 years older. Covid is an endemic disease, like flu. Variants every year. Covide shot is like a flu shot, most people just get it, maybe feel bad for 24 hours, and move on. All covid vaccines have long ago moved from experimental stage to general use.

So in 2031: Are you getting a Covid shot? Are you getting a flu shot? Are you getting your kids their standard vaccinations? Are you getting the shingles shots if applicable to your age?

Can you answer these without going off on a tangent?
This reminds me: an older friend was telling me about how the nation was united against polio. Nobody effed around. Nobody thought it was a government plot, the Mark of the Beast, or anything nefarious. People just didn’t want to be crippled. I know this is no great revelation, but it does make you think.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Here in British Columbia we are starting our vaccine card/passport program.

I just got mine!! The missus refuses to get the vaccine, which means she will not by able to eat in restaurants for a long while
DITM
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

dualstow wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:24 pm This reminds me: an older friend was telling me about how the nation was united against polio. Nobody effed around. Nobody thought it was a government plot, the Mark of the Beast, or anything nefarious. People just didn’t want to be crippled. I know this is no great revelation, but it does make you think.
Is it your understanding that the nature and consequences of polio and the efficacy of the polio vaccine are similar enough to those of COVID to make a comparison? Do you feel the government is similar enough between then and now to make a comparison in the level of trust?
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

Smith1776 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:39 pm Here in British Columbia we are starting our vaccine card/passport program.

I just got mine!! The missus refuses to get the vaccine, which means she will not by able to eat in restaurants for a long while
Hi Smithy!

Did the Canadian government indicate when the passport will no longer be needed? E.g. 80% Vaccination of populace, less than X infections per month...

Spring has started down here :D
https://www.facebook.com/ballaratgardensinspring/
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

Not sure if anyone is still interested in reading scientific discussion. This is an excellent (but long) post by Geert Vanden Bossche, a vaccinologist who accurately predicted that mass vaccination with leaky (imperfect) vaccines during a pandemic would only drive the production of more infectious and dangerous variants.

https://www.geertvandenbossche.org/post/the-last-post
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Smith1776 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:39 pm The missus refuses to get the vaccine, which means she will not by able to eat in restaurants for a long while
Okay Smithers you can’t keep avoiding the ring story by deleting your posts

Time to spill.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

flyingpylon wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:51 pm Not sure if anyone is still interested in reading scientific discussion. This is an excellent (but long) post by Geert Vanden Bossche, a vaccinologist who accurately predicted that mass vaccination with leaky (imperfect) vaccines during a pandemic would only drive the production of more infectious and dangerous variants.

Is this the guy who's a veterinarian? Also, didn't Delta start in India not long after the vaccine was invented in the US, when India had a 0% vaccination rate?
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude »

flyingpylon wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:51 pm Not sure if anyone is still interested in reading scientific discussion. This is an excellent (but long) post by Geert Vanden Bossche, a vaccinologist who accurately predicted that mass vaccination with leaky (imperfect) vaccines during a pandemic would only drive the production of more infectious and dangerous variants.

Covid is a religion. Please stop bothering everyone with science. The science was settled already the last time Faucci spoke. It will be resettled when he speaks again.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

Xan wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:02 pm

Is this the guy who's a veterinarian? Also, didn't Delta start in India not long after the vaccine was invented in the US, when India had a 0% vaccination rate?
Apparently he has training in veterinary virology. I’m not sure that he would treat anyone’s sick pet.

Not sure about Delta but it’s not the only variant.

He has expertise and an opinion and is sharing it. People can accept or dismiss it as they see fit.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Mark Leavy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:58 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:39 pm The missus refuses to get the vaccine, which means she will not by able to eat in restaurants for a long while

Time to spill.
Haha not avoiding anything!!

The ring was a gift to replace my old one. It has a diamond because it was supposed to be an extravagant gesture. I like wearing gold because it’s my “last resort” money. That’s pretty much it lol!!

And no, I’m not married or engaged. If I were, it would be HER with the diamond lol!!
DITM
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

<edit> He spilled the beans ;)
Last edited by Hal on Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

flyingpylon wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:18 pm
dualstow wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:24 pm This reminds me: an older friend was telling me about how the nation was united against polio. Nobody effed around. Nobody thought it was a government plot, the Mark of the Beast, or anything nefarious. People just didn’t want to be crippled. I know this is no great revelation, but it does make you think.
Is it your understanding that the nature and consequences of polio and the efficacy of the polio vaccine are similar enough to those of COVID to make a comparison? Do you feel the government is similar enough between then and now to make a comparison in the level of trust?
It is my understanding that people are going to connect the dots however they want to, keeping what news & studies support their mindset and filtering out what doesn’t. If someone wasn’t on board to vaccinate last year, they are not going to be inclined to change their minds this year. New studies won’t matter. FDA approval won’t matter. That doesn’t mean they know less than those who are pro-vax. Not at all. It just means they have connected their dots their way, and that’s largely how things will stay. (The same could be said about the pro-vax camp).

I’m sure plenty of people had dislike and distrust of the government going back to the beginning. Ultimately, I think the comparison is sound. What has changed is social media and the birth of the Internet.

Unlike my friend, however, I’m not pushing anyone to vaccinate, other than a friend who’s on the fence.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:31 pm
Since when is softball considered a "contact sport", let alone a high-risk one?

The only time it would happen is when fielders collide with one another. Otherwise we runners are supposed to avoid running into / colliding with fielders...though it did happen at first base yesterday at our practice at first base.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:54 pm
vnatale wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:41 pm
Regarding the shingles shot. I have not got one because since I take no drugs I chose the cheapest monthly Medicare drug plan. Which means I'd essentially be paying for that shingles shot.

I don’t quite understand. I mean, shingles of course is not something you’d spread like measles or covid, but I would think the suffering + lost productivity from getting singles — it’s downright nasty and can cause blindness if you get it in the eyes — would be more than what it costs.

Disclosure: I pay for everything out of pocket except flu shots, and even with those i now have to send my insurer receipts to get reimbursed.
I’m at the age now where I want/need the shingles shot. I’m just waiting for a break from all this covid stuff.

I guess so far I've been doing what many others here have been doing regarding getting vaccinated...weighing the definite $$$ costs (or other perceived costs regarding vaccination) versus the probabilities that I could contract something.

I think my doctor brought it up to me once three or so years ago.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Smith1776 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:33 pm
Mark Leavy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:58 pm

Time to spill.
Haha not avoiding anything!!

The ring was a gift to replace my old one. It has a diamond because it was supposed to be an extravagant gesture. I like wearing gold because it’s my “last resort” money. That’s pretty much it lol!!

And no, I’m not married or engaged. If I were, it would be HER with the diamond lol!!
Got it! You’re a gem in my world.

Honestly, when I think about the future, I’m glad that you and all of your motley crüe on this forum are in charge.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:11 pm
dualstow wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:54 pm
vnatale wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:41 pm
Regarding the shingles shot. I have not got one because since I take no drugs I chose the cheapest monthly Medicare drug plan. Which means I'd essentially be paying for that shingles shot.

Vinny, this is literally the stupidest logic ever. You voluntarily chose the cheapest Medicare plan, meaning there was the expectation to self-insure minor expenses. To forego the shingles vaccine bc it will cost you $ out of pocket is the worst reason to make that choice.

As I said...my doctor did bring it up to me about three years ago. I'm seeming to think my out-of-pocket cost was going to be in the $250 to $500 range.

Last year when I was making my Medicare drug choice I asked my doctor's office what was the name of the Shingles vaccine name so I could choose a plan which would cover it. But I was never able to match up the name they gave me to the Medicare drug plan coverages. I guess this year I will ask much earlier so as to have more time to resolve it.

I have the most expensive Medicare supplemental plan that can be bought so that I never have any out-of-pocket medical expenses.

On a logic level I should have chosen a much less expensive plan because I still have good health and few medical expenses.

But I know the way that I am...if there is a financial issue involved with medical care I'm going to be my usual frugal self and forego something I probably should not. So I chose the most expensive plan choice so as to never have $$$$ cost be part of the decision for me.

By the way I've only had dental insurance one year in the past 45 or so years and I never flinch at paying for all those dental expenses. Those always seem to be what needs to be done with no real choice involved.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:04 pm
flyingpylon wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:18 pm
dualstow wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:24 pm
This reminds me: an older friend was telling me about how the nation was united against polio. Nobody effed around. Nobody thought it was a government plot, the Mark of the Beast, or anything nefarious. People just didn’t want to be crippled. I know this is no great revelation, but it does make you think.

It is my understanding that people are going to connect the dots however they want to, keeping what news & studies support their mindset and filtering out what doesn’t. If someone wasn’t on board to vaccinate last year, they are not going to be inclined to change their minds this year. New studies won’t matter. FDA approval won’t matter. That doesn’t mean they know less than those who are pro-vax. Not at all. It just means they have connected their dots their way, and that’s largely how things will stay. (The same could be said about the pro-vax camp).

I’m sure plenty of people had dislike and distrust of the government going back to the beginning. Ultimately, I think the comparison is sound. What has changed is social media and the birth of the Internet.

Unlike my friend, however, I’m not pushing anyone to vaccinate, other than a friend who’s on the fence.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (41.73 KiB) Viewed 9237 times
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

vnatale wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:37 pm But I know the way that I am...if there is a financial issue involved with medical care I'm going to be my usual frugal self and forego something I probably should not. So I chose the most expensive plan choice so as to never have $$$$ cost be part of the decision for me

ok, but I don’t think that should be defined as frugal. Frugal is wisely lowering costs or going no frills and thus creating savings. Forgoing the (probable) prevention of shingles is different.