Reasons why I will not be getting injected for the Wuhan

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Reasons why I will not be getting injected for the Wuhan

Post by glennds »

Kbg wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:17 pm Mask or not mask != freedom or not freedom. The whole thing was completely fabricated, exploited for political purposes on both sides.
There's not very much sense of community in the United States anymore. We live in a "me" society. The cause of public health in the context of communicable disease demands some level of collective cooperation (and dare I say sacrifice) among people which appears to be just too much to ask.
Add to it a predisposition that if anything does not go one's way, well hell, it must be someone else's fault. And then there's our passion for conspiracy theories.

Yes, the politicians on both sides seized the opportunity to capitalize on a crisis that ought not be wasted. They weaponized it for their own self interest, the bastards.
It did not help that when the pandemic broke we had blunt instrument leadership that wasn't well suited to a complex, science based crisis. In other words, whatever Trump may be, a global public health pandemic did not play to his skill set.
It's always fun to blame the politicians, but in reality, they are a representative government that people voted for. A reflection of ourselves.

The thing is; masks, hand washing, distancing, avoiding crowded places, all these mitigation acts are incremental. None of them by themselves is a proven 100% silver bullet. Is the expectation that anything short of a 100% silver bullet is not worth the sacrifice? Or that any sacrifice at all is a suppression of freedom?

/
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:38 pm
Kbg wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:48 pm

Side note...apparently the Delta variant is generating quite a bit of folks all up for getting vaccinated now.

Look at Florida where there is no COVID, wonder why the vaccination rates are way up?

Theory A: Oppressive governments and businesses?

Theory B: People deciding maybe dying young needlessly isn't such a great idea after all?

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... ion-trends

So what I'm basically concluding from comparing theories A&B is that people will come to the 'right' conclusion without the government being oppressive. So why must they be oppressive then? Indoor mask mandates went back into effect here today in spite of high vaccination rates. I am not pleased.

In my county cases have gone up...so the town next to me instituted indoor mask mandates starting last week. My town has not.

This past Saturday there was a music festival in the woods only a mile and one-half from my house. All international bands playing on two stages from 3 PM to 11 PM.

Since it was outdoors I never thought to bring a mask...something which is quite rare I wear these days. Basically only for medical appointments, for which they are still state mandated.

Therefore when we were showing out tickets I was surprised to hear all of the following. 1) If you were not vaccinated you had to wear a mask. 2) if you were vaccinated you still needed to wear a mask but could take off your mask when eating or when stationary. I did not feel like walking back to my car to get a mask so I took an attitude of let's see what happens.

Never wore one.

Looking at this picture how many people do you see wearing masks? How many people appear to be "stationary". I would think that dancing to music does not constitute stationary?

240569298_10226539937670225_5806214858794079626_n (1).jpg
240569298_10226539937670225_5806214858794079626_n (1).jpg (402.7 KiB) Viewed 2925 times

So though I believe I live in an extremely liberal community (probably 75 Biden / 25 Trump) (I was close! "In the last Presidential election, Franklin county remained overwhelmingly Democratic, 70.7% to 26.4%." ...it seems like the Biden supporters are not interested in wearing masks.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

glennds wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:01 pm
Kbg wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:17 pm
Mask or not mask != freedom or not freedom. The whole thing was completely fabricated, exploited for political purposes on both sides.

There's not very much sense of community in the United States anymore. We live in a "me" society. The cause of public health in the context of communicable disease demands some level of collective cooperation (and dare I say sacrifice) among people which appears to be just too much to ask.
Add to it a predisposition that if anything does not go one's way, well hell, it must be someone else's fault. And then there's our passion for conspiracy theories.

Yes, the politicians on both sides seized the opportunity to capitalize on a crisis that ought not be wasted. They weaponized it for their own self interest, the bastards.
It did not help that when the pandemic broke we had blunt instrument leadership that wasn't well suited to a complex, science based crisis. In other words, whatever Trump may be, a global public health pandemic did not play to his skill set.
It's always fun to blame the politicians, but in reality, they are a representative government that people voted for. A reflection of ourselves.

The thing is; masks, hand washing, distancing, avoiding crowded places, all these mitigation acts are incremental. None of them by themselves is a proven 100% silver bullet. Is the expectation that anything short of a 100% silver bullet is not worth the sacrifice? Or that any sacrifice at all is a suppression of freedom?

/

Some Americans No Longer Believe in the Common Good
They now are thinking only of themselves.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... 2T21:21:34

This article supports what you wrote above:

My grandmother had very little patience for political showboating, and I believe she would have been disgusted by the politicization of a virus that has now killed more than 620,000 Americans. I also know that she was a stridently independent and stubborn person who would have resented being told what to do. But any time I doubt that she would have supported masking, I think back to her tales of living through the 1918 flu epidemic as a child, of her belief that she had to help in the war effort, of her fears that one of her children might contract polio in the surge of the early 1950s. Maybe too few people today understand the necessity of putting aside one’s own comforts to help others. Perhaps our sense of community has suffered in the digital age. It seems to me, however, that most of the blame should go to politicians who care more about stirring up fear to defeat their opponents than they do about people’s lives or the economy. And I blame anyone who intentionally spreads misinformation to further their own agenda.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

vnatale wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:31 pm

In my county cases have gone up...so the town next to me instituted indoor mask mandates starting last week. My town has not.

Correcting a misstatement I'd made above. The town next to me has NOT reinstated mask mandates in any way....just came across this...

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (20.1 KiB) Viewed 2888 times

It seems that in this extremely liberal area that a majority of the people are like me....if it is a mandate or the law we will comply....but if it's optional..we will not.

Finally... my always pet peeve....I think it would have been far more professional if they'd used the word "believe" rather than "feel". That to me is a signal they are making this pronouncement based upon their emotions rather than their intellect.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

glennds wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:01 pm There's not very much sense of community in the United States anymore. We live in a "me" society. The cause of public health in the context of communicable disease demands some level of collective cooperation (and dare I say sacrifice) among people which appears to be just too much to ask.

I completely agree. My younger friends would comment to me "F-Bomb Boomers" and I think it is a fair generality. I'm at the tail end of the boomer generation and we were known by our predecessors and successors as a completely self-oriented generation.

Cue snowflake comments now.

I do think there's a bit more to the politics side than just Me-sim. We have a structural problem that locks in the current party whether blue or red, is by and large non-competitive and rewards extremism...completely created by both parties. I live in a highly red state and we've had multiple state supreme court cases on Republican party internal nomination procedures brought to the court by Republicans. The court is 100% Republican and thankfully they've consistently ruled against procedures that inhibit competitive primary races.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/2021/0 ... id-column/

What we now know about how to fight the delta variant of COVID | Column
An expert explains why vaccines — and masks — are so important, and why delta is different and more dangerous. Click link to read article. Sounds reasonable to me ... anyone think it is a hoax?
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

vnatale wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:39 pm
SomeDude wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:46 pm

Yes that's what I meant Xan. Most doing it now are out of fear of loss of employment or some restriction rather than fear of Covid. At least this what i hear from anyone i know getting it now. I ask everyone who tells me they are getting it or just got it and they all say its because of their employer. All of them.
Yes, after more carefully reading all your words....I tend to agree with you. Just about everyone else had had plenty of time to get the vaccine without being under the threat of any repercussions.
There might be some % mixed in that waited for time to pass so the side effects would be clearer to them. I was in that category, not wanting to be too early in line. I think the FDA approval may be the final straw for others now. But yes, I get the point that others are now being pushed in one way or another.

Two of my friends who were vaccine hesitant have now accepted it after seeing friends of theirs get sick. One vocal anti-vaccine member of the friend group ended up in the ER which was a wake up call to others. So there's some of that going on too.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (30.49 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Last night I went to a place to hear live music where I have gone many times before in past years.

First I had to show my proof of vaccination to be let in and then, secondly, I had to wear a mask unless I was drinking.

Vinny

For Those About to Vax: Why Vaccination Proof Is Suddenly Becoming a New Standard for Concert Entry

Top execs from Live Nation and AEG (and influencer Jason Isbell) tell why the move to require more of concertgoers seemed abrupt but may have been inevitable.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/con ... 235044211/
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

tomfoolery wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:12 pm Krispy Kreme Donut Shop is offering one free donut per day until the end of the year if you show your vaccination card! C'mon Republicans, we know you like donuts!

Who would have guessed that being healthy could be so delicious?

https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/ihTJi ... 55ece34d43
Jane Dough
🍍
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t »

vnatale wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:11 am Last night I went to a place to hear live music where I have gone many times before in past years.

First I had to show my proof of vaccination to be let in and then, secondly, I had to wear a mask unless I was drinking.

Vinny

This post might be better suited for a platform like Facebook.

Ps. You can also post selfies, to your heart's content, on that platform.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

So I have personal experience with COVID now. Got the 2x Pfizer, got the breakthrough. Felt ran down and just not great starting late last week. Went in for the quick lower accuracy COVID check on Wednesday - negative. Wednesday night shortly before bedtime the hammer dropped. Since then I have felt like complete crap. Got out of bed to take care of business and to eat. Serious body aches and major congestion causing severe continuous headaches. After not being able to sleep well for the last three nights and waking up with an added severe earache I put up the surrender flag and asked the Mrs to run me into an instacare cuz the self medicating wasn’t cutting it. The doc said I had pretty classic delta symptoms and asked if I wanted the higher accuracy test. Came back positive. He mentioned that he had been seeing more breakthroughs with the Pfizer series.

Everyone is different and I don’t see myself on the hospital track, but the past four days have sucked. I don’t recommend it.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

Feel better soon, KBG!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

So sorry. Hope you feel better soon.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

Wishing you a speedy recovery...
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

and for a laugh, the linked video is great ;D
https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/inte ... WjcnBszQmR
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Sorry to hear about you contracting it....any ideas at all how you got it?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Eric Clapton, Guitarist for Baby Boomers, Releases Protest Song for Anti-Vaxxers

“I’m used to being free,” Clapton sings in his new track, “This Has Gotta Stop.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2021/0 ... ti-vaxxers
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

Kbg wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:18 pm So I have personal experience with COVID now. Got the 2x Pfizer, got the breakthrough. .
Sorry to hear this, hope you recover soon.

When did you receive your original 2x Pfizer vaccine?
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude »

I now know several people in real life who've tested positive and are at least mildly sick, two of my wife's elderly aunts (both over 75).

Both are vaxxed.

Almost everyone i hear about third person that are testing positive are vaxxed.

I wonder if the vax is lowering immune systems or responsible for the so-called "delta" variant.
jswinner

Post by jswinner »

SomeDude wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:45 am I now know several people in real life who've tested positive and are at least mildly sick, two of my wife's elderly aunts (both over 75).

Both are vaxxed.

I wonder if the vax is lowering immune systems or responsible for the so-called "delta" variant.
I will leave this here again: https://youcanknowthings.com/2021/07/21 ... this-mean/
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

Today, barfing and lots of coughing. Not previously experienced.

The odds are out there for most every question a person could ask on this issue with reams of data and emerging data as things evolve, and every virus evolves. That’s fact.

To me the two most important questions now are efficacy rates and hospitalization rates with/without the vaccination.

Efficacy rates are clearly going down (way more than I thought as more studies come in) which is a bummer, and statistically, there’s no question what’s the better route if you don’t want to end up in the hospital with the virus.

My daughter is in the antivax crowd and both her and her husband got it. They’ve both been mildly sick, but nothing big.

We all have our dice to roll in life, roll em as you will and accept the outcome.

As they say in investment literature: “Individual returns will vary.”

Glennds, March/April.

I’m probably now biased due to my individual returns, but the efficacy drop probably means vaccination mitigates but may not prevent with Delta. This is pretty much the flu shot every year and why as we get older it matters more if one gets the flu shot.

Vinnie, not sure. I was at one large outdoor event that had some inside components. I masked indoors except for eating. The timing is right, but it could have been the family or work too.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

A little humor, apparently COVID is anti-biscuits and gravy with lots of OJ for breakfast. Back to oatmeal.

This explains southern reticence to vaccination; it’s all very clear to me now.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude »

jswinner wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:50 pm
SomeDude wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:45 am I now know several people in real life who've tested positive and are at least mildly sick, two of my wife's elderly aunts (both over 75).

Both are vaxxed.

I will leave this here again: https://youcanknowthings.com/2021/07/21 ... this-mean/
JS this was painful.

I'll summarize for everyone.

1. If no one is vaccinated then no vaccinated people will test positive.

2. If some people get vaxxed then even if there's only a 1% chance of getting sick for a vaxxer when they're exposed, some vaxxers will get sick.

3. If more people get vaxxed, the number of vaxxed people getting sick will go up. The author calls this counterintuitive. I don't know how should could think something so obvious is counterintuitive.

4. As there are more cases in general among the whole population for whatever reason (new variant, introduction into new populations, etc.) more vaxxed people will test positive.

5. Ohhhh yeah, countries like the UK and portugal with huge numbers of vaxxed have seen fewer deaths percentage-wise in this year's wave than last year's. Thats in contrast to low vax countries like Nambia that just aren't vaxxing and not seeing a drop in reported deaths. And I'm sure the provax numbers are reliable too. No one is lying about something so serious.

For her next trick Kristin PhD should teach 1st grade arithmetic.

The number of daily infections is the same now pretty much as the height of last year despite half the population being vaxxed. She said the vaxx is 88% even against delta. What's her theory then for all the cases? Ohhh yeah.....not enough people vaxxed.

Get your boosters guys.....3, 4, 5. We're only a few years away from Dr. Falsey saying we can return to the new normal.
jswinner

Post by jswinner »

SomeDude wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:19 pm
jswinner wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:50 pm

Both are vaxxed.

JS this was painful.

I'll summarize for everyone.

1. If no one is vaccinated then no vaccinated people will test positive.

2. If some people get vaxxed then even if there's only a 1% chance of getting sick for a vaxxer when they're exposed, some vaxxers will get sick.

3. If more people get vaxxed, the number of vaxxed people getting sick will go up. The author calls this counterintuitive. I don't know how should could think something so obvious is counterintuitive.

4. As there are more cases in general among the whole population for whatever reason (new variant, introduction into new populations, etc.) more vaxxed people will test positive.

5. Ohhhh yeah, countries like the UK and portugal with huge numbers of vaxxed have seen fewer deaths percentage-wise in this year's wave than last year's. Thats in contrast to low vax countries like Nambia that just aren't vaxxing and not seeing a drop in reported deaths. And I'm sure the provax numbers are reliable too. No one is lying about something so serious.

For her next trick Kristin PhD should teach 1st grade arithmetic.

The number of daily infections is the same now pretty much as the height of last year despite half the population being vaxxed. She said the vaxx is 88% even against delta. What's her theory then for all the cases? Ohhh yeah.....not enough people vaxxed.

Get your boosters guys.....3, 4, 5. We're only a few years away from Dr. Falsey saying we can return to the new normal.
Not nearly as painful as statements like this "I wonder if the vax is lowering immune systems or responsible for the so-called "delta" variant."