Re: GME

Post by I Shrugged »

Oh God that's too good!
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

So is this supposed to represent an achievement in terms of "social justice?" Are we supposed to celebrate the fact that the downtrodden have managed to make the same corrupt (and illegal) financial machinations work for them, too?

Equally corrupt.
Equally unprincipled.
Equally despicable.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

Maddy wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:17 pm So is this supposed to represent an achievement in terms of "social justice?" Are we supposed to celebrate the fact that the downtrodden have managed to make the same corrupt (and illegal) financial machinations work for them, too?

Equally corrupt.
Equally unprincipled.
Equally despicable.
Please expand on what "this" is. Thanks. I want to be sure you have a clear handle on it, and if you do, then maybe I don't.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (63.36 KiB) Viewed 4822 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

There's rumblings in the subreddit about potentially making SLV the next short squeeze target. A coordinated SLV effort could be truly disruptive as there simply isn't enough physical metal to cover all of the paper trades in the market.

It looks like the "System" is ready to start implementing guardrails to limit this type of behaviour though.
MicroMasters
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Maddy wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:17 pm So is this supposed to represent an achievement in terms of "social justice?" Are we supposed to celebrate the fact that the downtrodden have managed to make the same corrupt (and illegal) financial machinations work for them, too?

Equally corrupt.
Equally unprincipled.
Equally despicable.
What is the corrupt or illegal thing that the redditors are doing? They're buying a stock they like and holding it. That's what you're supposed to do, isn't it?

The hedge funds were betting against the stock. This is borrowing GME shares with a promise to give them back later, immediately selling them, and planning to buy them back when needed at hopefully a lower price. This is much more of a "manipulation" than buy and hold.

These funds had gotten so greedy that they had gone SO short that it generated a strong buy case: all these funds have to buy the stock back in order to return what they had borrowed, so a lot of people going long on it forces them to buy back at high prices.

That's the game the funds chose to play. They played it very badly. If they had played it successfully and had driven Gamestop out of business, they'd pocket their money and nobody would think twice. Now they're crying foul. Sorry, they lost fair & square.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

Smith1776 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:28 pm There's rumblings in the subreddit about potentially making SLV the next short squeeze target. A coordinated SLV effort could be truly disruptive as there simply isn't enough physical metal to cover all of the paper trades in the market.

It looks like the "System" is ready to start implementing guardrails to limit this type of behaviour though.
Maybe they are in communication with the Hunt brothers.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Is anyone else seeing requests to the WSB subreddit start to timeout?
MicroMasters
Ruby on Rails rules all
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Nvm working for me again.
MicroMasters
Ruby on Rails rules all
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Xan wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:29 pm

Equally corrupt.
Equally unprincipled.
Equally despicable.
What is the corrupt or illegal thing that the redditors are doing? They're buying a stock they like and holding it. That's what you're supposed to do, isn't it?

The hedge funds were betting against the stock. This is borrowing GME shares with a promise to give them back later, immediately selling them, and planning to buy them back when needed at hopefully a lower price. This is much more of a "manipulation" than buy and hold.

These funds had gotten so greedy that they had gone SO short that it generated a strong buy case: all these funds have to buy the stock back in order to return what they had borrowed, so a lot of people going long on it forces them to buy back at high prices.

That's the game the funds chose to play. They played it very badly. If they had played it successfully and had driven Gamestop out of business, they'd pocket their money and nobody would think twice. Now they're crying foul. Sorry, they lost fair & square.
What would a principled stand against the financial "system" look like?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (35.17 KiB) Viewed 4999 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

My previous joking aside, I just want to mention the equanimity of the PP investor:

"GME stock has skyrocketed! Get onboard before it's too late!"

"Meh, I already own it in my index fund."

"GME stock has tanked!! Oh noes!!"

"Meh, it's such a small portion of my index fund it doesn't matter."
MicroMasters
Ruby on Rails rules all
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

Smith1776 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:28 pm There's rumblings in the subreddit about potentially making SLV the next short squeeze target. A coordinated SLV effort could be truly disruptive as there simply isn't enough physical metal to cover all of the paper trades in the market.

Hope you are right, my PP has 5% silver!
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong »

If this exposes the entire system as somewhat rigged in favor of the wealthy or elite, why should I have confidence in markets, even as a PP investor? “This” meaning every broker shutting off access to purchase these stocks to limit the losses of the shorts.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Cortopassi wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:13 pm

Hope you are right, my PP has 5% silver!
The pop seems like shorts covering...cornering this internationally traded commodity going to be a lot bigger undertaking than a stock with 140% short interest. I think they pass for other targets....but who knows!
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Politicians on the right and left (AOC, Ted Cruz, etc.) are agreeing and retweeting each other that Robinhood shutting down GME trading was wrong. At least one class-action suit has been filed already.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

When I heard that Robinhood has no cost trading, I figured they have to be skimming something off the spreads, somehow. It will be interesting to find out.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

If I were king, Robinhood is toast. Allowing to sell, but not buy, yet other platforms, like those available to hedge fund people and seasoned traders still allowing buying should be 100% illegal.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

Tortoise wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:47 pm Politicians on the right and left (AOC, Ted Cruz, etc.) are agreeing and retweeting each other that Robinhood shutting down GME trading was wrong. At least one class-action suit has been filed already.

We may have just lucked into the unifying rallying cry we all needed after the election.

pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

I Shrugged wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:56 pm When I heard that Robinhood has no cost trading, I figured they have to be skimming something off the spreads, somehow. It will be interesting to find out.
https://robinhood.com/us/en/support/art ... kes-money/
Overview
Our mission is to democratize finance for all. Earning revenue allows us to offer you a range of financial products and services at low cost, including commission-free trading. Here’s how we generate the majority of our revenue:

Rebates from market makers and trading venues
Robinhood Gold
Stock loan
Income generated from cash
Cash Management
Read on for more detail on how we make money:
"Robinhood Gold" sounded interesting but it's not what I thought.
Last edited by pp4me on Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Cost of litigation probably a lot less than extracting oneself from a GME moon landing.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

pp4me wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:07 pm
I Shrugged wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:56 pm When I heard that Robinhood has no cost trading, I figured they have to be skimming something off the spreads, somehow. It will be interesting to find out.
Overview
Our mission is to democratize finance for all. Earning revenue allows us to offer you a range of financial products and services at low cost, including commission-free trading. Here’s how we generate the majority of our revenue:

Robinhood Gold
Stock loan
Cash Management
The first item means they are paid for order flow. That's about what I thought, and I probably characterized it harshly as skimming. Or is that potayto, potahto?
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

I Shrugged wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:09 pm
Overview

Robinhood Gold
Stock loan
Cash Management
The first item means they are paid for order flow. That's about what I thought, and I probably characterized it harshly as skimming. Or is that potayto, potahto?
I don't think robinhood does the skimming....they sell orders to citron like entities who do the skimming AFAIK
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

I Shrugged wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:09 pm
Overview

Robinhood Gold
Stock loan
Cash Management
All brokers went to zero fees shortly after that. So this is how everyone makes money now.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

For my fellow Canadians:

The WealthSimple Trade platform doesn't sell order flow or have any premium account types. They purely make money on currency conversion costs when buying assets on foreign exchanges. Or so they say.
MicroMasters
Ruby on Rails rules all