Moderator: Global Moderator

tomfoolery
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Come into my Parler

Post by tomfoolery » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:16 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:59 am

Has anyone recently joined the mass exodus from Twitter/Facebook/What's App to alternative platforms?

I have Signal and quite like it.
Wire is a superior encrypted messaging app to Signal because Signal requires you use "a" phone number as your user name, and to have the app be functional, you have to give it access to your Google or iOS contacts.

Which means you have to be *using* Google and iOS Contacts. Which means Google or Apple, depending on which phone you use, has a list of everyone you are friends with.

Which means when 10% of your contact list gets arrested in the Capitol for sedition, your social credit score takes a ding because maybe you were there too, and just didn't get caught. Or you have a bad taste in friends. Either way, you're not getting this job because your social credit score is too low.

I say with Signal you must use "a" number because you're not obligated to use your actual phone number, you can use a VOIP line that is different than your cell phone SIM number, but then the contacts permissions still gets screwy.

And if you do use your SIM number, anyone can SIM swapping attack you and assume control of your Signal account. They won't be able to see old messages prior to the SIM hijacking, but they'll be able to see any future messages that arrive, until you're able to regain control of the account.

Signal, in my opinion, is a piece of shit application from a privacy perspective.

Wire lets you create a custom username. Make an account called Smith1776 and add someone from the forums as a friend, and now you don't have to give them your phone number, which is probably linked to your real name*, you don't have to add this internet stranger to your contacts list, which means apple/google don't know they are your friend.

And you can make a second account called Ronald Rowan, which is maybe your real name, and you can add both accounts to the same Wire app. So your family/coworkers are on the Ronald Rowan account and your Gyro friends are under Smith1776. All in the same app.

You can also sync Wire across multiple devices with a username and password. Signal requires a QR code scan to sync, which is a horrible security risk because you now have to have your cell phone next to your computer. Which most people do anyway, but it's a bad security risk. And you can only have Signal on one phone or tablet at a time. Wire can be installed on your cell phone, tablet, desktop, etc, and all sync.

Speaking from significant personal experience in this realm over the last decade, Wire is superior to Signal.

*Bonus content: Your phone is probably linked to your real name because even if you have a prepaid phone paid in cash, if you give your phone SIM number out to friends/family, and if even a single person has saved that number and associated it with your name in their Apple/Google contact list, then there's a high likelyhood it's now linked to you permanently. The most common method is because people install "True Caller" type apps on their phones, which is a large database of caller ID info. So they can see who the "True Caller" is to their phone when there is an unrecognized phone number calling them.

In order for the True Caller app to work, you must share your contact list with the company as a contingency of using the app. And that sharing is how they generate the caller ID data for everyone else who uses the app. Because you agree to upload the 100+ contacts in your contact list to their database, with the associated name info for each phone number, and then if anyone from your contact list calls anyone else using the True Caller app, now True Caller tells that person who the phone number belongs to, because you shared your friends data with the True Caller database.

So, if you care about privacy, don't use Signal. Use Wire, which also has free, ad-free, versions.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:46 pm

tomfoolery wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:16 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:59 am

Has anyone recently joined the mass exodus from Twitter/Facebook/What's App to alternative platforms?

I have Signal and quite like it.
Wire is a superior encrypted messaging app to Signal because Signal requires you use "a" phone number as your user name, and to have the app be functional, you have to give it access to your Google or iOS contacts.

Which means you have to be *using* Google and iOS Contacts. Which means Google or Apple, depending on which phone you use, has a list of everyone you are friends with.

Which means when 10% of your contact list gets arrested in the Capitol for sedition, your social credit score takes a ding because maybe you were there too, and just didn't get caught. Or you have a bad taste in friends. Either way, you're not getting this job because your social credit score is too low.

I say with Signal you must use "a" number because you're not obligated to use your actual phone number, you can use a VOIP line that is different than your cell phone SIM number, but then the contacts permissions still gets screwy.

And if you do use your SIM number, anyone can SIM swapping attack you and assume control of your Signal account. They won't be able to see old messages prior to the SIM hijacking, but they'll be able to see any future messages that arrive, until you're able to regain control of the account.

Signal, in my opinion, is a piece of shit application from a privacy perspective.

Wire lets you create a custom username. Make an account called Smith1776 and add someone from the forums as a friend, and now you don't have to give them your phone number, which is probably linked to your real name*, you don't have to add this internet stranger to your contacts list, which means apple/google don't know they are your friend.

And you can make a second account called Ronald Rowan, which is maybe your real name, and you can add both accounts to the same Wire app. So your family/coworkers are on the Ronald Rowan account and your Gyro friends are under Smith1776. All in the same app.

You can also sync Wire across multiple devices with a username and password. Signal requires a QR code scan to sync, which is a horrible security risk because you now have to have your cell phone next to your computer. Which most people do anyway, but it's a bad security risk. And you can only have Signal on one phone or tablet at a time. Wire can be installed on your cell phone, tablet, desktop, etc, and all sync.

Speaking from significant personal experience in this realm over the last decade, Wire is superior to Signal.

*Bonus content: Your phone is probably linked to your real name because even if you have a prepaid phone paid in cash, if you give your phone SIM number out to friends/family, and if even a single person has saved that number and associated it with your name in their Apple/Google contact list, then there's a high likelyhood it's now linked to you permanently. The most common method is because people install "True Caller" type apps on their phones, which is a large database of caller ID info. So they can see who the "True Caller" is to their phone when there is an unrecognized phone number calling them.

In order for the True Caller app to work, you must share your contact list with the company as a contingency of using the app. And that sharing is how they generate the caller ID data for everyone else who uses the app. Because you agree to upload the 100+ contacts in your contact list to their database, with the associated name info for each phone number, and then if anyone from your contact list calls anyone else using the True Caller app, now True Caller tells that person who the phone number belongs to, because you shared your friends data with the True Caller database.

So, if you care about privacy, don't use Signal. Use Wire, which also has free, ad-free, versions.
Wow. Thank you.
“On balance, the financial system subtracts value from society.”
― John C. Bogle
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:52 pm

One thing above all that I’ve learned on this forum is how much I don’t know.
“On balance, the financial system subtracts value from society.”
― John C. Bogle
tomfoolery
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by tomfoolery » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:33 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:52 pm
One thing above all that I’ve learned on this forum is how much I don’t know.
The main thing I’ve learned is you can have two people who each strongly believe the exact opposite thing is true and think the other person is insane for their beliefs and think they are superior and correct.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:23 am

Elon Musk seems to like Signal.
The main thing I don’t like about it is all the error messages. What was once readable becomes “Bad Message” or something like that. This is not something I’ve ever encountered in Wire. Wire is smooth.

Since the privacy I seek is more something pretty good to defeat casual snooping (not that anyone near me is even looking) and not privacy from NSA or something, I enjoy all of these apps. I don’t like using SMS, perhaps the least private medium, but i use it when I have to. Can’t get my ageing parents on Telegram.

Telegram is great for sending messages to yourself from one device to another instead of plugging in cables.

Wire is nice for messages with an expiration date- this is also something I find buggy in Signal. It keeps resetting on me when I set the duration.

Telegram gives you the option of locking the app with a PIN on each device.
I don’t think Signal can be locked on a desktop. Or, I just haven’t figured it out yet.
"It’s easy to be a communist in a free country. But try being free in a communist country." - @vtchakarova
WhatsApp users can no longer opt out of having their data sent to facebook -Schneier blog
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:32 am

A friend was recently recommending Wire. I'm going to give away my complete lack of expertise with computers when I ask--What is this? Is it a discussion board, similar to what we have here? When I went to the Wire.com website, what's described is a "conferencing" platform, which is pretty much meaningless to me. Does it work, as here, by allowing members to create topical threads to which other members respond over succeeding hours, days and weeks? Or is it something that occurs in "real time?"

Others have described the need to "download an app." I'm afraid I don't even know what an "app" is. I have a $25 hand-me-down computer from the public library sale. Is an "app" a software program? Why is it necessary to actually put software on your computer to participate in a discussion board? Is Wire even something that can be used on a computer?

Is there someone who uses Wire that would be willing to display a screen shot of what you find there?

So confusing-- I'm really ready to throw my computer out the window and go live with the Amish. Only half-kidding.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:47 am

Note these changes to whatsapp’s privacy policy!
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/ ... olicy.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
🚸 Obviously, I’m a layman, too. Feel free to correct me, guys, where I got it wrong. 🚸
Maddy wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:32 am
Others have described the need to "download an app." I'm afraid I don't even know what an "app" is. I have a $25 hand-me-down computer from the public library sale. Is an "app" a software program?

Maddy, Wire is is messaging platform, not a forum.
Think of it is closer to texting than posting on a forum.
* You can create a group to share messages. It’s not just one-on-one. For that reason, it can start to feel like a forum.
* Someone cannot just surf on in from Alabama or Brazil and see what you and your friends are talking about the way they can with gyroscopicinvesting dot com. You would have to add them to the group.
With Wire, the messages live on your phone (I think) and your friends’ phones rather than on some server somewhere. Thus, you have more control.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Yes, an app is a program. Games are apps. Word processors are apps. And messaging programs are apps.
You know how you used to have to load programs into a pc with a series of floppy disks and later with CDs and thumb drives?
Now, it’s usually just a matter of downloading the app, which is short for “application.”
On a phone or tablet, you go to the app store, find what you want, and click to install. Some cost money, some are free.
Apple has an app store for iPhones and a Mac app store for its computers. (Usually, when apps are mentioned, people are talking about mobile devices). There’s a Play Store for Android phones. And, there are 3rd party apps for desktops, laptops and, i guess some non-apple phones(?)

What is often accomplished in a browser on your laptop is done with an app on a phone. You might go to Twitter dot com on a firefox browser on a laptop, but open the Twitter app on an ipad. Same with youtube. Phones and tablets can still do this via browsers, but it can get clunky. Google docs, for example. Sometimes an app is completely unneccesary, but sometimes it’s better. Sometimes it’s the only choice on a mobile device.

If you havee a Samsung phone, it might have its own Samsung-specific apps.
"It’s easy to be a communist in a free country. But try being free in a communist country." - @vtchakarova
WhatsApp users can no longer opt out of having their data sent to facebook -Schneier blog
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:10 am

I tried to sign up for Gab.com last night but they were having issues.

Tried again this morning...and the thing in the browser just kept spinning.

I was beginning to wonder if there were any conservative websites that was "ready for prime time".

Then wonders of wonders...I got in!

I liked that they had all these ready made interest groups. I checked off about 20 of them. Almost all of them NOT politically related.

However, now I'm stuck on receiving my confirmation message from them.

I have so far requested it to be resent about four times but still nothing received.

I'm now trying to see if I can do anything without having received that confirmation message. I clicked on "My Groups". All I am seeing is a rotating circle thing. I'll try something else. I was able to successfully get to the Cats group but it appears that I'm blocked from actually seeing anything until I receive that confirmation message.

Anyone else here use Gab?

Vinny

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (51.91 KiB) Viewed 77 times
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
tomfoolery
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by tomfoolery » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:35 am

Maddy wrote:

Others have described the need to "download an app." I'm afraid I don't even know what an "app" is. I have a $25 hand-me-down computer from the public library sale. Is an "app" a software program? Why is it necessary to actually put software on your computer to participate in a discussion board? Is Wire even something that can be used on a computer?
“app” is short for application and it’s a synonym for computer program. A spreadsheet program like Microsoft Excel is an application, or “app”, a presentation program like PowerPoint is an “app”, a web browser like Internet Explorer is an “app”

Generally the shortened term “app” came into popular use with smart phones. Which are just tiny computers. An App on a smartphone is the same as an application on a computer. It’s made of computer code that does something.

Wire is an application that sends text messages to other people, but encrypts them before they are sent, so third parties can’t see the contents of the messages. When you send a text message on a cell phone, the technology is called an SMS message, and its unencrypted. It’s like sending a postcard through the mail, and anyone who wants to can read it.

Wire is like putting your message through a an algorithm that encodes the message into gibberish, and anyone trying to intercept it, can only see gibberish, and your intended recipient has the key to be able to convert the gibberish into a text message.

But it’s all done by the app In the back end.it also does voice and video chat, also both encrypted.

You can install Wire on a smartphone, or on a computer, or use it in a web browser but I prefer installing it as an application.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:39 am

Maddy wrote:
A friend was recently recommending Wire. I'm going to give away my complete lack of expertise with computers when I ask--What is this? Is it a discussion board, similar to what we have here? When I went to the Wire.com website, what's described is a "conferencing" platform, which is pretty much meaningless to me. Does it work, as here, by allowing members to create topical threads to which other members respond over succeeding hours, days and weeks? Or is it something that occurs in "real time?"

Is there someone who uses Wire that would be willing to display a screen shot of what you find there?

So confusing-- I'm really ready to throw my computer out the window and go live with the Amish. Only half-kidding.
Wire is like a group text message, but similar to a forum just without the topics/threads. Anyone can post/comment in any order in one long string. Subgroups and private messaging can also be utilized.

You do NOT need to download anything to your phone. Once you have an account and are invited to join a group, you can use the service from within a web browser which is what I do. You can also run the computer program directly rather than use a browser, but it's not necessary.

EDIT: I see Tom already said most of this while I was typing.
Last edited by pugchief on Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:40 am

In general, anything that can be done via browser (particularly on the phone) as opposed to with an app should be. Running an app puts you more-or-less completely at the mercy of the app developer. The browser has a LOT of safeguards to protect your privacy.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:07 pm

pugchief wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:39 am

EDIT: I see Tom already said most of this while I was typing.
I answered her this morning, too. Maybe I should have put it in a separate post.