Come into my Parler

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Come into my Parler

Post by pugchief » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:52 am

No problem logging into my Parler account from a web browser, but yes, it is not as sophisticated as Twatter.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:59 am

🚧 I moved some posts from the Meme Thread over to this one, starting here — DS🚧
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Has anyone recently joined the mass exodus from Twitter/Facebook/What's App to alternative platforms?

I have Signal and quite like it.
“On balance, the financial system subtracts value from society.”
― John C. Bogle
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:07 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:59 am

Has anyone recently joined the mass exodus from Twitter/Facebook/What's App to alternative platforms?

I never foresee ever leaving Twitter or Facebook. Even if both forbid all political content I believed in while continuing to all all that I do not believe it, there are far too many reasons / benefits that I get from each to leave them. Have never used What's App.

Think about this. Both Twitter and Facebook are private companies, out to make a profit.

Therefore, in general, whatever they chose to do is with an eye towards what is best for their long-term profits.

Finally, when it comes down to it, too many peoples' principles are tied to what is convenient. They are generally not going to stand up for them when it will cost them anything.

Therefore, many conservatives / Republicans / Trump supporters are NOT going to "join the mass exodus" from Twitter or Facebook because it would come at the costs of losing other benefits they get from each.
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:14 am

Smith1776 wrote:

There aren’t too many replacements for Twitter and Facebook, are there. I mean you can’t just tune into What’s App and see what’s going on unless you have a very large group. It’s just not the same thing.

I do like Telegram, Signal, etc for friends and family.
"It’s easy to be a communist in a free country. But try being free in a communist country." - @vtchakarova
WhatsApp users can no longer opt out of having their data sent to facebook -Schneier blog
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:35 am

Yeah as far as pervasiveness I suppose not. I support anyone's decision to leave the big platforms though. Too much control. Too much invasion of privacy. Too much in the way consolidation of influence.

I am still on the various mainstream platforms, though I am not a frequent poster on social media. Can't say I have too much time to do so.
― John C. Bogle
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:59 am

I still have a Facebook account but I deleted all my posts and pictures a long time ago. Even put up an AI generated fake photo to fool the image recognition database (only the paranoid survive).

Never been on Twitter and never will. If I was a young person with right of center views and a career ahead of me I think it would be foolish to post anything there at this point in time.

Looks like Amazon is also joining the right wing censorship movement by removing Parler from the App Store, but I doubt that too many, myself included, will be cancelling their Prime membership. I read somewhere that more people have Amazon Prime than vote in elections.

(Update: Looks like the Amazon move is more than just removing the App. They hosted the whole thing so basically it's now shut down completely).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:14 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:59 am
(Update: Looks like the Amazon move is more than just removing the App. They hosted the whole thing so basically it's now shut down completely).
Wow, you're not kidding-
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... uspension/
"It’s easy to be a communist in a free country. But try being free in a communist country." - @vtchakarova
WhatsApp users can no longer opt out of having their data sent to facebook -Schneier blog
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:22 pm

I have accounts at FB and Twatter, but I never post, only read. Most of my FB friends are on ignore (stealth) and I follow a few well known pundits on Twatter, no friends.

It is criminal that Amazon, Apple and Google are trying to silence Parler.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:26 pm

Smith1776 wrote:

🚧 I moved some posts from the Meme Thread over to this one, starting here — DS🚧
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In either the Twitter purge or the mass exodus...It looks like I lost 100 Twitter followers. But it looks like I lost about 500 people I was following. I guess that shows I was following a lot more Trump people than were following me.

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:05 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:26 pm
In either the Twitter purge or the mass exodus...It looks like I lost 100 Twitter followers. But it looks like I lost about 500 people I was following. I guess that shows I was following a lot more Trump people than were following me.
Wow, you’re following 27,000 people. How much do you read per day- or rather, how much time do you figure you spend reading Twitter on an average day?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:10 pm

While I have not abandoned the traditional platforms, my quality of life has definitely improved the less I look at them.
― John C. Bogle
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:32 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:05 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:26 pm

Wow, you’re following 27,000 people. How much do you read per day- or rather, how much time do you figure you spend reading Twitter on an average day?

My policy is that I only follow people who follow me. Therefore when someone follows me I follow them. I also used to use a service that I'd use daily to see who had stopped following me and I would then unfollow them. But that became too time consuming because some would follow one day, unfollow the next, follow the next....

Therefore I now rarely unfollow anyone. Just follow anyone who has started following me.

I also rarely ever look at the tweets produced by those who I follow.

Instead, I've created about 10 lists on different topics, e.g., baseball, New York Yankees, Boston Celtics, personal finance, health, music and so on. Among them are two lists A+ and A.

The A list has about 4,000 Twitter accounts in it. That is the place I'll mostly go to whenever I want to see what is going on with Twitter.

Finally, until recent events I was not spending much time at all with Twitter....going days without visiting and even on those days not being there long.