Our lives are too easy...

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Our lives are too easy...

Post by doodle » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:57 am

Lately work has been getting crazy for me ..some days as long as 20 hours of physical labor. I have no idea why I even do it as I don't need the money, other than to just see if I'm still capable of keeping up with 25 year olds. However, it must be said that hard shit bonds people together in many ways. I probably disagree politically with many if not most of the people I work with...but they are my team and we have a job to do. All this political bickering, mental masturbation and bullshit that we get so wrapped up in here just seems like an unhealthy outlet for people with too much time on their hands. In many ways I think a simpler harder existence where one has bigger more immediate problems is probably healthier for people in general and better for the cohesiveness of our society. I'm sure people in the military can attest to this phenomenon as well.
Last edited by doodle on Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Our lives are too easy...

Post by vnatale » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:59 am

doodle wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:57 am

Lately work has been getting crazy for me as...some days as long as 20 hours of physical labor. I have no idea why I even do it as I don't need the money, other than to just see if I'm still capable of keeping up with 25 year olds. However, it must be said that hard shit bonds people together in many ways. I probably disagree politically with most of the people I work with...but they are my team and we have a job to do. All this political bickering, mental masturbation and bullshit that we get so wrapped up in here just seems like an unhealthy outlet for people with too much time on their hands. In many ways I think a simpler harder existence where one has bigger more immediate problems is probably healthier for people in general and better for the cohesiveness of our society. I'm sure people in the military can attest to this phenomenon as well.

But isn't a lot of the military like being in the police or a fire station? A lot of sitting around waiting for something to happen? Then going from zero to 100 in a matter of minutes?

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:02 pm

Good times beget soft men.

Soft men beget hard times.

Hard times beget good men.

Good men beget good times.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:42 pm

"OUR lives are too easy? Speak for yourself.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:35 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:03 pm
doodle wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:57 am
Lately work has been getting crazy for me ..some days as long as 20 hours of physical labor.
And yet you post here as often as anyone. How do you do it?
A healthy gorilla shits upwards of 8 times a day....

I guess I manage the same way the country's hardest working president manages to tweet 30+ times a day....
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:40 pm

Maddy wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:42 pm
"OUR lives are too easy? Speak for yourself.
WE don't like your tone. The beauty of the left is they will always step up and speak for everyone else.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:33 pm

Structure prevents you over-doing drugs or sliding into meta-anxiety and loss of perspective. The brain and body are designed to work against resistance. Ive watched early retirement, and now lockdown, destroy more people than they've benefitted.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:49 pm

I guess this is part of why forced labor camps are effective. When you’re being forced to engage in backbreaking labor, you have little time and mental energy with which to dwell on wrongthink.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:02 pm

Not backbreaking, a minimum level of responsibility, like showing up to the office on time.

But yeah. . . homelessness could be ended by no minimum wage, then a "forced" rehab/jobs program for those who still wont stop living in the park.
Last edited by boglerdude on Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:12 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:49 pm
I guess this is part of why forced labor camps are effective. When you’re being forced to engage in backbreaking labor, you have little time and mental energy with which to dwell on wrongthink.
I was thinking more along the lines of people without real problems and challenges tend to conjure or manufacture them up. Idle hands are the devil's workshop kind of thing. With the exception of Maddy, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that all of us have pretty easy lives compared to the vast majority of humans throughout history. Yet, reading most of what is written here you would think that we are struggling under true adversity and everything around us is about to collapse. Physically difficult uncomfortable labor not only puts things in perspective and helps one appreciate how luxurious our lives are, but also helps cement bonds between individuals. Two things that are perhaps lacking amongst many people today...gratitude and interconnectedness. That is all I'm getting at.
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:16 pm

doodle wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:12 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:49 pm
I was thinking more along the lines of people without real problems and challenges tend to conjure or manufacture them up. Idle hands are the devil's workshop kind of thing. With the exception of Maddy, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that all of us have pretty easy lives compared to the vast majority of humans throughout history. Yet, reading most of what is written here you would think that we are struggling under true adversity and everything around us is about to collapse. Physically difficult uncomfortable labor not only puts things in perspective and helps one appreciate how luxurious our lives are, but also helps cement bonds between individuals. Two things that are perhaps lacking amongst many people today...gratitude and interconnectedness. That is all I'm getting at.
I was thinking more along the lines of people without real problems and challenges tend to conjure or manufacture them up. Idle hands are the devil's workshop kind of thing. No disagreement - I'm not plowing the back 40 or setting traps for my next meal - I have more time than prior generations to think about the "big picture"

Physically difficult uncomfortable labor not only puts things in perspective and helps one appreciate how luxurious our lives are, but also helps cement bonds between individuals. The Khmer Rouge thought the same when they took Cambodia back to a pre-industrial revolution society by shutting down factories and moving everyone to the farm lands to grow rice. - OK that was a bit of a troll remark :) - In all honesty I do understand what you are trying to say...
mukramesh
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mukramesh » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:45 pm

SomeDude wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:40 pm
WE don't like your tone. The beauty of the left is they will always step up and speak for everyone else.
Politics sub-forum is leaking again ::)