How companies profit from "Artificial Complexity"

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: How companies profit from "Artificial Complexity"

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:58 pm Without knowing where you stayed in Chicago, I can't comment other than to say that there are hundreds of great restaurants all over the city and suburbs, and I find it hard to believe that a 5 minute walk in any direction wouldn't land you at several. Plus, there is literally a Starbucks and Subway on every other block.
I asked the person I was with how much he remembered from our two days in Chicago. The below was what he wrote. Does that give you any idea of where our hotel was and, therefore, where we'd starting our hour's walk from the prior night?

Vinny

I REMEMBER WATCHING THE FIREWORKS AFTER WITH THE SYMPHONY PLAYING PROBABLY
THE
1812 OVERTURE OVER LAKE MICHIGAN RIGHT THERE - IT WAS ONE OF THE HIGHLIGHTS
ON THE TRIP.
IM GUESSING WE WALKED DOWN MICHIGAN AVENUE TO GRANT PARK FROM THE HOTEL TO
THE TASTE.

WE STAYED IN THE PALMER HOUSE I THINK IN CHICAGO; THIS OLD, STATELY HOTEL
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:34 pm
vnatale wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:38 pm
MangoMan wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:58 pm Without knowing where you stayed in Chicago, I can't comment other than to say that there are hundreds of great restaurants all over the city and suburbs, and I find it hard to believe that a 5 minute walk in any direction wouldn't land you at several. Plus, there is literally a Starbucks and Subway on every other block.
I asked the person I was with how much he remembered from our two days in Chicago. The below was what he wrote. Does that give you any idea of where our hotel was and, therefore, where we'd starting our hour's walk from the prior night?

Vinny

I REMEMBER WATCHING THE FIREWORKS AFTER WITH THE SYMPHONY PLAYING PROBABLY
THE
1812 OVERTURE OVER LAKE MICHIGAN RIGHT THERE - IT WAS ONE OF THE HIGHLIGHTS
ON THE TRIP.
IM GUESSING WE WALKED DOWN MICHIGAN AVENUE TO GRANT PARK FROM THE HOTEL TO
THE TASTE.

WE STAYED IN THE PALMER HOUSE I THINK IN CHICAGO; THIS OLD, STATELY HOTEL
There are dozens of good restaurants within a few blocks of the Palmer House. Not sure why you couldn't find one. And there are dozens more across from Grant Park.
How about what was there on the night of July 3, 1981, nearly 40 years ago? Does you memory go back far enough to when you were about about 20 years and what was there then?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

I don't see them around much, but I used to like Togo's a lot better than Subway.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Dieter wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:16 pm I don't see them around much, but I used to like Togo's a lot better than Subway.
Until now this is the first time I have ever even seen the name Togo's. Where are they located?

Vinny
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude »

vnatale wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:20 am
Dieter wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:16 pm I don't see them around much, but I used to like Togo's a lot better than Subway.
Until now this is the first time I have ever even seen the name Togo's. Where are they located?

Vinny
Do they have a delicious seafood sub?
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

Vinny
At least some in Central California.

Not MUCH better than Subway, but I did like better when I used to pick it over Subway if had the choice.

Although I agree with MangoMan -- local places before chains.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Dieter wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:48 pm

Vinny
At least some in Central California.

Not MUCH better than Subway, but I did like better when I used to pick it over Subway if had the choice.

Although I agree with MangoMan -- local places before chains.
For me not wanting to spend much timing waiting to get the food, there is no local place that compared to Subway for the combination of a. time to wait b. cost c. quality of food, which in my case is just about all vegetables plus a few slices of cheese. Almost all the other places grossly fail on "a". Too much waiting and I don't want to call ahead as I cannot trust that they will leave out any vinegar or anything with vinegar in it.

Vinny