Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

"Vintage" Stuff Question

Post by Cortopassi »

We've been going through my wife's uncle's house after his death last month.

He was a near TV level hoarder and never threw anything away. There is so much stuff, except for some personal items with sentimental value, we are tossing nearly everything.

I have no idea how to value items from the 60s and 70s.

For example, he had this sitting in a drawer, pristine condition: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SUNBEA ... 3117822196

But is it only $15 on Ebay! Not even worth the time!

It's all random stuff -- no baseball card collection, comics, stamp collection, tiffany lamps, jewelry, etc. Just these strange random little things that are cool to look at and see, but so much of it!

Like Playboy magazines from the late 60s through 70s, all in excellent condition. But not like I'm going to go through them to value them (or honestly, to even take the time to look at the pictures!) For all I know we tossed Playboy #1.

Some coins, those I know how to value.

Any opinions on items that I might normally overlook that could have value are appreciated!
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: "Vintage" Stuff Question

Post by jhogue »

We had a similar situation when both of my parents died several years ago. My mother collected everything from cancelled stamps to sets of china. She was a borderline-hoarder due to dimentia and refused all our entreaties to part with her "stuff." My father collected tools and fishing gear.

Half-way through the final clean out, we discovered a local auction company that sorted through everything, held the auction, left the house "broom clean," and saved us a lot of the mundane work. One caution: you are looking for the final check at the end and not the tag sale value. They are in the business so they know what any individual item will bring on the spot.

We took whatever individual items we wanted to keep. The auctioneer and his team handled everything else.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

Thanks, jhogue.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Cortopassi wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:25 pm Thanks, jhogue.
For anything you suspect that has value eBay is definitely going to be your best guide. Go through the completed sales to see what things really sold for.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

jhogue wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:02 pm We had a similar situation when both of my parents died several years ago. My mother collected everything from cancelled stamps to sets of china. She was a borderline-hoarder due to dimentia and refused all our entreaties to part with her "stuff." My father collected tools and fishing gear.

Half-way through the final clean out, we discovered a local auction company that sorted through everything, held the auction, left the house "broom clean," and saved us a lot of the mundane work. One caution: you are looking for the final check at the end and not the tag sale value. They are in the business so they know what any individual item will bring on the spot.

We took whatever individual items we wanted to keep. The auctioneer and his team handled everything else.
+1. Use an auction pro. Well worth the time and aggravation saved.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.