Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Jews in the Inquisition

Post by dualstow »

From the Mask-Burqa thread:
murphy_p_t wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:29 pm Is this brief article complete fiction?

http://www.judaism-islam.com/jews-opene ... of-toledo/

In the spring of 711, a Muslim army invaded Iberia led by Tariq ibn Ziyad, serving the Arab governor Musa ibn Nusayr, at Guadalete they swiftly defeated Roderick (Luthariq) the Visigoth King and then marched northward to the Visigoth capital of Toledo. Both Latin and Arabic chroniclers record that the Jews of the city “opened the gates of Toledo” to Tariq, who conquered the city. With more cities to take Tariq left Toledo and entrusted its protection to a garrison of Jewish soldiers, whom had rose up against the Catholic Visigoths and opened the gates.

When Tariq’s master, Musa ibn Nusayr, arrived in Iberia with a large Arab force he seized Seville and like Tariq before him, he entrusted the city to its Jewish inhabitants until his return.
Well, you sent me down a google rabbit hole. It may not be complete fiction, but even a cursory reading of the wiki page on Toledo shows that it doesn’t tell the whole story.

Not only were the Jews forcibly converted but they lived under oppressive, anti-semetic laws, (including, strangely, Julian who was of Jewish origin). Before 700. So there were rebellions. That doesn’t make the Jews backstabbers bent on Spain’s destruction any more than accusations that German Jews screwed over their felow countrymen in WWI had any validity.

I remember reading decades ago in Max Dimont’s ‘Jews, God and History’ that the Arabs often treated the Jews better than Christians did, especially during the Middle Ages. The Spanish Inquisition was not some kind of revenge for Jews opening city gates. I think you’ve got things backwards, Murphy.

But, you’ve got me interested in reading further.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Jews in the Inquisition

Post by Mark Leavy »

Despite the obvious minefield that is this discussion. I hope it progresses, I find it fascinating.

I spent a lot of time in that part of Spain. I have dated Portuguese Sephardim. I have worked with mathematicians and cryptographers that migrated out of Iberia and into Brazil and into the US.

What a fascinating part of history. The Iberian Jews do share some culture with the other Semitic cultures.

In general, smart as hell. Not Ashkenazi smart, but still crazy smart.

And... if you’re still holding a grudge over something that may or may not have happened 1300 years ago... your best play might not be to endorse the Inquisition.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t »

I am not the subject of this thread. Please remove my name from the title.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

murphy_p_t wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:02 am I am not the subject of this thread. Please remove my name from the title.
Titles have been changed.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

Mark Leavy, c'mon, fess up, you are Lazarus Long. I AM SO BORING

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_Long
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

I'm still working on the immortality thing. I'm This Close.

Also the flaming red hair and time travel. Up soon...