Low carb may now be USDA approved!

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Low carb may now be USDA approved!

Post by pmward » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:35 pm

While I think it's a good thing they are coming up with a "low carb" alternative recommendation, I do think that there deserves to be more conversation on quality of carbs vs quantity of carbs. Like there is a world of difference between a bowl of oatmeal and a bowl of ice cream.

I have type 2 diabetes running in both sides of my family so this is something I've thought about a lot. Carbs are a staple in my diet but I prepare almost all my own meals, I choose only high quality carbs, and I also get at least an hour of exercise in each day. I have no issues maintaining a low body fat percentage this way. Also, I usually only see my dr one time a year for a checkup and every year he says my labs are pristine. But how many people are willing to shop, cook, and exercise every day like that? It's a major lifestyle choice, like you really have to be all in on it. I have to make active sacrifices in other areas of my life to live a healthy lifestyle.

I think overeating processed foods in general are a major problem. But how do you get people to eat less processed foods? It's a tough ask in our current society. Also, how do you get people to exercise more? We humans weren't built to sit at a desk all day long.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:34 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:41 pm
pmward wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:35 pm
While I think it's a good thing they are coming up with a "low carb" alternative recommendation, I do think that there deserves to be more conversation on quality of carbs vs quantity of carbs. Like there is a world of difference between a bowl of oatmeal and a bowl of ice cream.

I have type 2 diabetes running in both sides of my family so this is something I've thought about a lot. Carbs are a staple in my diet but I prepare almost all my own meals, I choose only high quality carbs, and I also get at least an hour of exercise in each day. I have no issues maintaining a low body fat percentage this way. Also, I usually only see my dr one time a year for a checkup and every year he says my labs are pristine. But how many people are willing to shop, cook, and exercise every day like that? It's a major lifestyle choice, like you really have to be all in on it. I have to make active sacrifices in other areas of my life to live a healthy lifestyle.

I think overeating processed foods in general are a major problem. But how do you get people to eat less processed foods? It's a tough ask in our current society. Also, how do you get people to exercise more? We humans weren't built to sit at a desk all day long.
Yep. And, in general, Europeans walk a lot more than Americans, so they're burning calories naturally.

I've mentioned this here before, but I also eat a ton of carbs. Mostly whole grains, but I probably eat too much sugar. Yet because I exercise an awful lot, my labs are also perfect and I am not even a little overweight.

@Corto: While I choose EVOO and Coconut Oil when possible, I do not go out of my way to avoid soybean oil. I doesn't seem to matter. Maybe it's only a problem for sedentary folks?
Pug, I am pretty sure you are healthier than most and aren’t, for example, basing your carbs off things like Little Debbie snacks! ;D
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:27 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:34 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:41 pm
pmward wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:35 pm

Yep. And, in general, Europeans walk a lot more than Americans, so they're burning calories naturally.

I've mentioned this here before, but I also eat a ton of carbs. Mostly whole grains, but I probably eat too much sugar. Yet because I exercise an awful lot, my labs are also perfect and I am not even a little overweight.

@Corto: While I choose EVOO and Coconut Oil when possible, I do not go out of my way to avoid soybean oil. I doesn't seem to matter. Maybe it's only a problem for sedentary folks?
Pug, I am pretty sure you are healthier than most and aren’t, for example, basing your carbs off things like Little Debbie snacks! ;D
This book is free until at least midnight...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N9DD18N

Make Me THIN Again: A no fad diet where you can enjoy pizza and beer on the weekend! A common sense strategy by a 60 year old regular guy and retired engineer. Kindle Edition

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."