Linux, continued

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Linux, continued

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:09 pm

This is all fascinating, and I mean that sincerely, but it’s incredibly hard to be free of spying, isn’t it. Even if we gave up our Macs and Windows machines for a linux laptop, wouldn’t we still be tracked on our phones? (Any good phone options?)

I don’t mean to be a Debbie Downer. Maybe it’s about mitigating the spying where we can? Do our searching and shopping on a Linux machine and keep it simple on the phone?
forcemeat, ie stuffing, is etymologically related to ‘farce’. When you say something is a farce, a joke, you’re saying something is a bunch of stuffing.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:35 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:09 pm
This is all fascinating, and I mean that sincerely, but it’s incredibly hard to be free of spying, isn’t it. Even if we gave up our Macs and Windows machines for a linux laptop, wouldn’t we still be tracked on our phones? (Any good phone options?)

I don’t mean to be a Debbie Downer. Maybe it’s about mitigating the spying where we can? Do our searching and shopping on a Linux machine and keep it simple on the phone?
Very well stated, dualstow. It's like having a ship with a 1000 leaks in it, and then feeling good about yourself that you plugged one of them. This, of course, doesn't mean we should just do nothing, but a more comprehensive set of solutions to our woes is definitely needed.

There are no easy answers. I am a huge privacy advocate. I read that Cypherpunk Manifesto like... weekly, but your guess is as good as mine about how we tackle this conundrum. I do know, however, that encryption will play a central role. It's something we must steadfastly work to protect.
Do yourself a favour and ditch JavaScript: https://rubyonrails.org/
“The answer is not more hours, it's less bullshit.” -- DHH
"The cleanest energy is the energy we don't use." -- Unknown
"Talk is cheap. Show me the code." -- Linus Torvalds
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm

purism is working on a linux phone, "Librem 5" its a interesting project, open source, same OS as their computers..
Government 2020 - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:27 pm

l82start wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm
purism is working on a linux phone, "Librem 5" its a interesting project, open source, same OS as their computers..
I remember reading about that once upon a time -- probably here -- and being impressed.
I guess there's not too much available right now.
(I've got a pixel 3a myself, a google phone. And google fi is my carrier).
forcemeat, ie stuffing, is etymologically related to ‘farce’. When you say something is a farce, a joke, you’re saying something is a bunch of stuffing.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:50 pm

Hmm, there's the PinePhone, which I found from the Librem 5's wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PinePhone
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:16 pm

libram 5 has done a few early release versions so far, they are mostly a phone geek beta test toy, but it shows promise and commercial versions are on the way?, no idea when, release dates are a bit loose

i am curious to see it though..

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:21 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:27 pm
l82start wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:52 pm
I remember reading about that once upon a time -- probably here -- and being impressed.
I guess there's not too much available right now.
(I've got a pixel 3a myself, a google phone. And google fi is my carrier).
I cannot remember if until now I knew that you were also on Google Fi. You probably remember better than me if we have already had this discussion.

I went with them in June 2018 and bought from them the least expensive phone that would work with the service -- a Moto. Looks like you chose a more expensive option. Mine cost $200.

What was your reason for choosing their service? My primary was because the phone could make calls off WiFi, meaning I'd always have service in my office or my home. I'd prior tried another service (Ting) and I'd only had service at the end of my driveway, which was not going to be practical. Living in a rural area, having a phone work off WiFi is wonderful.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:17 pm

FWIW My team has been working on the Plasma Mobile version of the PinePhone. :)
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:19 am

Pointedstick wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:17 pm
very cool!!

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:19 am

Pointedstick wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:17 pm
neat!