Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: New Macs With M1 Chips

Post by vnatale » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:24 am

Dieter wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:29 pm
WiseOne wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:20 pm
OK, I've had my new M1 Macbook Pro for about a week....

I got the memory & processor upgrades, but decided to stick with a 500 Gb drive. I can always upgrade it, but meantime I'm happy to rely on cloud storage with smart sync. The files I work with regularly fit easily into this drive.

<snip>
Thanks for the report WiseOne

I got the base M1 MacBook Air about a week ago (deciding factor for me for which model to get: I was impatient, and it was the quickest delivery (spending time taking care of my dad; had no computer other than phone). And, it's probably fine for my needs. If it turns into not having the horsepower I need, I could trade it in and think of it as a rental fee....

It's fast. It's cool. It's shiny

:)

I definitely haven't pushed it -- email, YouTube, one Zoom call, a little bit of Netflix, trying to recover my dads iPhone (alas, had to go to an Apple store in a Mall to get that resolved; ugh).

Great battery life. TouchID. yup, works great for me as well. I like the tapered design

I changed my background to NOT have so much red (I used a picture of Big Sur). Using night shift.

I didn't migrate, but setup was easy with my existing Apple ID.

I do need to consolidate my files and decide what I want to copy over.

I still need to get a password manager (I didn't have my password for here ; I did try to reset it, but I never got an email)
I've been using Keepass on Windows computers for forever and love it.

Vinny

https://keepass.info/download/p_macosx/index.html
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:11 am

Dieter wrote:
WiseOne wrote:

I got the memory & processor upgrades, but decided to stick with a 500 Gb drive. I can always upgrade it, but meantime I'm happy to rely on cloud storage with smart sync. The files I work with regularly fit easily into this drive.

<snip>

I got the base M1 MacBook Air about a week ago (deciding factor for me for which model to get: I was impatient, and it was the quickest delivery (spending time taking care of my dad; had no computer other than phone). And, it's probably fine for my needs. If it turns into not having the horsepower I need, I could trade it in and think of it as a rental fee....

<snip>

I still need to get a password manager (I didn't have my password for here ; I did try to reset it, but I never got an email)
I really like 1Password. I have used it several years on MacBooks and iPhones. In my opinion, well worth the money, it also has useful features other than just a password manager.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:14 am

Dieter wrote:
WiseOne wrote:

<snip>

<snip>

I really like 1Password. I have used it several years on MacBooks and iPhones. In my opinion, well worth the money, it also has useful features other than just a password manager.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:42 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:24 am
Dieter wrote:
WiseOne wrote:

<snip>

It's fast. It's cool. It's shiny

:)

I definitely haven't pushed it -- email, YouTube, one Zoom call, a little bit of Netflix, trying to recover my dads iPhone (alas, had to go to an Apple store in a Mall to get that resolved; ugh).

Great battery life. TouchID. yup, works great for me as well. I like the tapered design

I changed my background to NOT have so much red (I used a picture of Big Sur). Using night shift.

I didn't migrate, but setup was easy with my existing Apple ID.

I do need to consolidate my files and decide what I want to copy over.

I've been using Keepass on Windows computers for forever and love it.

Vinny

https://keepass.info/download/p_macosx/index.html
Forgot to include that it is free.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:46 pm

Thanks for the info on the password managers. I have heard of 1password; definitely on the list to review.

WiseOne -- did you see that Zoom now has a Native M1 version?

https://9to5mac.com/2020/12/21/zoom-app ... n-support/
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:00 pm

Dieter wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:46 pm
Thanks for the info on the password managers. I have heard of 1password; definitely on the list to review.

Good luck with your research. I used to use Roboform and Lastpass. Not bad. Dabbled with a few others when I used the archaic Windows (95 through 10) platforms 🤣🤣🤣. 1Password rules. Apple rules 😉. There are two kinds of computer users, those who are in the Apple evil empire and those who drank the Microsoft cool aid, Oh, and a third - those who like Charlie Brown Christmas and Linus. Like Pointedstick. 😉
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:53 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:00 pm
Dieter wrote:

Good luck with your research. I used to use Roboform and Lastpass. Not bad. Dabbled with a few others when I used the archaic Windows (95 through 10) platforms 🤣🤣🤣. 1Password rules. Apple rules 😉. There are two kinds of computer users, those who are in the Apple evil empire and those who drank the Microsoft cool aid, Oh, and a third - those who like Charlie Brown Christmas and Linus. Like Pointedstick. 😉
I'm glad I still think Apple rules :) -- I got my family trained on them, and can't imagine training them on something else. Especially my spouse!

I personally dabbled in Android, but think my next phone will be an iPhone. Easier to support the family, and, I don't like only three years of updates on Android devices. Apple seems to do 5-6 IIRC..

As for 1Password, hmm - I guess I have concerns that the bad guys know where to go to get a lot of passwords....
I probably need to get over that if I want to have easy access to passwords on multiple devices.

Or come up with a good, secure personal algorithm that allows me to memorize many site / account / password combinations.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:07 pm

Dieter wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:53 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:00 pm
Dieter wrote:

I'm glad I still think Apple rules :) -- I got my family trained on them, and can't imagine training them on something else. Especially my spouse!

I personally dabbled in Android, but think my next phone will be an iPhone. Easier to support the family, and, I don't like only three years of updates on Android devices. Apple seems to do 5-6 IIRC..

As for 1Password, hmm - I guess I have concerns that the bad guys know where to go to get a lot of passwords....
I probably need to get over that if I want to have easy access to passwords on multiple devices.

Or come up with a good, secure personal algorithm that allows me to memorize many site / account / password combinations.
Which is why I do not use any password program that can accessed over the internet via inputting the correct user name and password but instead use keypass.

Keypass is a non-internet password program.

The way I access at whatever computer I'm using is by keeping its database in a dropbox folder.

Keypass needs a password to open that database plus I pay for the business version of dropbox so that everything that is my dropbox is encrypted.

Seems I have enough layers of protection to protect my database? Plus you need the password to access my computers.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:29 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:07 pm
...Keypass is a non-internet password program.
That’s more for Windows, but also wiki says
A 2019 Independent Security Evaluators study described KeePass as well as other widely used password managers as being unable to control Windows 10's tendency to leave passwords in cleartext in RAM after they are displayed using Windows controlled GUI.[12] In addition, several github projects (KeeFarce, KeeThief, Lazanga) specifically attack a running KeePass to steal all data; when the host is compromised. KeePass cannot prevent password theft and "neither KeePass nor any other password manager can magically run securely in a spyware-infected, insecure environment."[13]

I think Veracrypt is better. It’s just kind of cumbersome to use. Worth it, though.
RIP Marcello Gandini