New Macs With M1 Chips

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

New Macs With M1 Chips

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:00 am

I'm sure all the technology minded people on the forum are aware of the new Macs that have been announced with Apple silicon. Given how impressive the iPhone and iPad silicon has been -- frequently outperforming laptop and desktop counterparts -- this switch has clearly been a long time coming. Some articles:

https://9to5mac.com/2020/11/11/macbook- ... mark-test/

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/11/11/m1 ... benchmark/

https://macdailynews.com/2020/11/10/app ... -natively/

There's even word around these new Macs that even after accounting for emulation overhead, they run intel software faster than intel macs actually do. (At least those intel macs that have similar power envelopes.)

The benchmarks and battery life numbers look seriously impressive. Yes, obviously, we still need more "in the wild" benchmarks and user reviews, but Apple has generally been forthcoming regarding performance and battery life claims.

My current Mac is still too new, so I won't be buying one, but I'm still as excited about these developments as just about anyone else.
Do yourself a favour and ditch JavaScript: https://rubyonrails.org/
“The answer is not more hours, it's less bullshit.” -- DHH
"The cleanest energy is the energy we don't use." -- Unknown
"Talk is cheap. Show me the code." -- Linus Torvalds
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: New Macs With M1 Chips

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:45 am

Long ago, I used to get excited and know every code name and generation of Intel or AMD chip that came out, when it mattered because computers would still bog down doing certain things.

I am not a 3D state of the art gamer, so I don't know how much main uP clock speed/cores/cache matter anymore vs the GPU, but it has literally been 10-15 years since I even recall wishing something on my computer went faster.

Even boot with an SSD now is a non-issue.

I am surprised anyone gets excited about processors anymore! Maybe it's my age.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:00 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:45 am
Long ago, I used to get excited and know every code name and generation of Intel or AMD chip that came out, when it mattered because computers would still bog down doing certain things.

I am not a 3D state of the art gamer, so I don't know how much main uP clock speed/cores/cache matter anymore vs the GPU, but it has literally been 10-15 years since I even recall wishing something on my computer went faster.

Ahhh I think we're referring to roughly the same era. I remember when the Athlon 64 and Pentium 4 were top dogs. I would obsessively buy the latest copy of Maximum PC so that I could see the reviews and benchmarks to see which was faster at gaming and video editing. Those were the days...

I remember when the Nvidia 7800 GTX was the fastest GPU around. 256MB of video memory -- woah!! :D
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:08 pm

Thanks for the assessment Smith!

I'd heard about this, but now I'm really excited to try this out. I had delayed replacing my laptop, but it's now really starting to show its age (it's a 2013). Gaming isn't my issue but I do need to run some intense mathematical software on large datasets. My current laptop just plain can't do it.

On the todolist....along with a ton of other things but hope to order new macbook pro soon. It's only the 13" that has the M1 chip, right? That's the size I want, as it happens.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:15 pm

sophie wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:08 pm
Thanks for the assessment Smith!

I'd heard about this, but now I'm really excited to try this out. I had delayed replacing my laptop, but it's now really starting to show its age (it's a 2013). Gaming isn't my issue but I do need to run some intense mathematical software on large datasets. My current laptop just plain can't do it.

On the todolist....along with a ton of other things but hope to order new macbook pro soon. It's only the 13" that has the M1 chip, right? That's the size I want, as it happens.
Indeed! The 13" Pro and the Macbook Air both have the M1. The Mac mini also has the new chip as well.

It seems that the 13" Pro runs the M1 at a higher clock speed than the Air, so there should be a marginal performance differential.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:03 pm

Regardless of the performance or anything else, definitely don't buy an Intel Mac. Those things will be boat anchors very soon as Apple drops support. If they're still selling any they shouldn't.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:21 pm

Yeah they look nice. I'll probably wait a couple years to replace my current personal MBP just to let the tech and software cure a bit. This should also help the longevity of the MacBook Pros (at least for those that use them as a Pro), as there has been a major problem in Intel MacBook Pros where the heat the CPU generates causes the battery to warp. At work we all use MBP's and for the last few years each of us has to get our laptop replaced at least once per year because of the battery warping problem. It's crazy how wide spread the issue is. I just had mine swapped out about 2 months ago myself. The ARM CPU's are more efficient and generate less heat, so this should hopefully be a non-issue going forward.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:36 pm

On the Mac topic. Has anyone tried out the Big Sur OS? From what I understand it can run iOS applications on a Mac.

In a day or so when it downloads, I shall let you know if there are any issues on running it on a 2017 Air. If so we might have to go off and buy a bright new shiny Mac ;)

PS: For Smithy https://books.google.com.au/books?id=bg ... edir_esc=y

Update: Watch prior to installing -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD3J2cv9DRY
Update 2: What a pain. Finally installed after multiple attempts/lockups. No difference in performance.
Attachments
Big Sur.png
Big Sur.png (58.55 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Last edited by Hal on Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:23 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:45 am

Here is where more memory and a faster processor makes a major difference. Whenever I am either uploading or downloading files in Dropbox. Those tasks consumes incredible resources. I can notice the difference on this i7 / 16 GB computer. It's even more pronounced on an i / 8 GB computer. While dropbox is doing its things it can take other programs forever to do their thing as opposed to immediately when dropbox is not consuming so much computer resource.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:02 pm

I’m still running High Sierra because I want to continue to use Veracrypt. I know this is still because i could just enrypt files by making a .DMG, but I really like Veracrypt.
Big Sur does look pretty cool, and yes, the “Apple Silicon” offerings are tempting. I may trade in my Mac Mini for a Mac M1ni O0
Apple Security Head Charged With Offering Bribe for Gun Licenses - Bloomberg
Robin DiAngelo, author of ‘White Fragility’, paid more for speaking engagement than black counterparts. — FreeBeacon dot com
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:35 pm

Hal wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:36 pm

PS: For Smithy https://books.google.com.au/books?id=bg ... edir_esc=y
I am reliving the good old days!
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:49 pm

I will probably treat myself to a new MacBook when I graduate and find full-time work in industry. The computer will be an appropriate reward to myself since I'll be using it for dev work anyway. Frustrating homework aside, I have really taken a liking to programming.

I am taking the same approach to the new Playstation and Xbox game consoles. The early units of any new game console tend to have the highest failure rates. The game libraries at the beginning tend to be limited too. I'll wait at least 6 months... maybe even a year.

The one thing that I find a little sad as time passes is the integration of once discrete hardware components into SOCs. A lot of that of course has been driven by the increasing ubiquity of mobile computing. Speccing out all the individual components in a computer was once a very enjoyable pastime. Now the cost efficiency of integrated systems and the need to be mobile has made desktops take an unfortunate backseat.

At least I still have software tinkering!