Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:03 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:01 pm
Yea, the entry requirement is very likely.

For me, I don't have a hard opposition to the vaccine. Just that it doesn't make any sense for me.
But then again, I do plenty of things that don't make sense to me in furtherance of larger goals. So... while I'm not yet ready to go through an extended quarantine and wear a mask for 15 hours to get to the Amalfi coast, I will undergo a vaccine if that is the price.
My world traveler proves to me more Italian than me! I'm 100% Southern Italian since my father came from where he could see Mt. Vesuvius from his village and my mother's side of the family (Amalfitano) came from less than an hour away, near the Amalfi coast.

It was only in the recent past that a cousin told me that was where that side of family came from in Italy. I had never prior heard of the Amalfi coast! Yet, our forum world traveler is evidently well familiar with it!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:06 am

SomeDude wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:25 am
Mark Leavy wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:59 pm

The downside of coronavirus, for me personally, is virtually nil. I have no co-morbidities and my immune system is Strong. Like bull.

The downside of a vaccine, is unknown. It could be nothing, it could be a very tiny likelihood of something horrific. The key is that it is unknown, versus coronavirus, which is pretty well understood at this point and completely benign for someone like me.
Coronavirus is so deadly, you have to take a test to know you have it!

I think there's a good good chance if we rando tested people for the flu each year at least 20% of the population would test positive. Rona doesn't seem any deadlier than the flu and could be even less contagious. The testing though......that is the real danger it seems.

Does anyone here know anyone or know anyone who knows anyone who actually died from it? I don't mean someone who was 80 with cancer or serious problems who got sick and this contributed. People in those situations often die of the flu or pneumonia, not they're underlying disease.
I do not directly know anyone who has died from it. Also, don't directly know that many people who have contracted it. Certainly no more than a handful, if even that many.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:09 am

pugchief wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:55 am
@ Ad Orientum
Before you get vaccinated, at least get an antibody test. I had my annual physical last month and they just drew an extra vial of blood. The government pays the tab, no insurance required.

Sadly (assuming the results are even reliable), mine came back negative.
Yes, I was going to suggest that. Mark, you took your antibody test too soon after being sick, so worth repeating it for sure.

I wonder if a positive antibody test combined with a negative PCR test will be an acceptable substitute for the vaccine for things like mandatory masking on airplanes. Probably not. So it's mainly for your own peace of mind. The last info I saw on the infection-fatality rate (not to be confused with case-fatality rate) is 0.4%, which is higher than average for flu but well within the range of variability. And that's likely higher than it will settle out to be, given that average fatality is age 80+ with comorbid conditions, and treatments continue to improve.
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:52 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:06 am
SomeDude wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:25 am
Mark Leavy wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:59 pm

The downside of coronavirus, for me personally, is virtually nil. I have no co-morbidities and my immune system is Strong. Like bull.

The downside of a vaccine, is unknown. It could be nothing, it could be a very tiny likelihood of something horrific. The key is that it is unknown, versus coronavirus, which is pretty well understood at this point and completely benign for someone like me.
Coronavirus is so deadly, you have to take a test to know you have it!

I think there's a good good chance if we rando tested people for the flu each year at least 20% of the population would test positive. Rona doesn't seem any deadlier than the flu and could be even less contagious. The testing though......that is the real danger it seems.

Does anyone here know anyone or know anyone who knows anyone who actually died from it? I don't mean someone who was 80 with cancer or serious problems who got sick and this contributed. People in those situations often die of the flu or pneumonia, not they're underlying disease.
I do not directly know anyone who has died from it. Also, don't directly know that many people who have contracted it. Certainly no more than a handful, if even that many.

Vinny
Thanks. As far as "pandemics" go, it's pretty weak. It's a shame so many millions of lives have been shattered by the lockdowns to prevent people from getting the flu.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:46 am

we may end up following china https://dailycaller.com/2020/11/23/chin ... king-code/
how far from travel to buy and sell?
queue up the end times in 3 2 1..

Revelation 13:17, NIV: "so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name."

:-X
Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:19 am

l82start wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:46 am
we may end up following china https://dailycaller.com/2020/11/23/chin ... king-code/
queue up the end times in 3 2 1..

Revelation 13:17, NIV: "so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name."

:-X
So I guess all those Bill Gates microchip 'conspiracy theories' might actually not be so outlandish. Huh.

Doodle? PMWard? Care to comment?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:29 am

l82start wrote:
Wow, the NYT piece that it links to:
But a New York Times analysis of the software’s code found that the system does more than decide in real time whether someone poses a contagion risk. It also appears to share information with the police, setting a template for new forms of automated social control that could persist long after the epidemic subsides.
Feels like the end of the everything rally.
In Britain they have made burglary a safe occupation. It's like OSHA for burglars.
- Thomas Sowell on gun control
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:39 am

dualstow wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:29 am
l82start wrote:
Wow, the NYT piece that it links to:
But a New York Times analysis of the software’s code found that the system does more than decide in real time whether someone poses a contagion risk. It also appears to share information with the police, setting a template for new forms of automated social control that could persist long after the epidemic subsides.
even more scary .. i happened to read this article immediately after that one...
https://thenationalpulse.com/exclusive/ ... nsultants/

between Bidens deep connection to the Chinese government (god help us if they have blackmail material on him and hunter) and the lefts love of all things authoritarian, this does not bode well for freedom..
Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:19 pm

l82start wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:39 am

between Bidens deep connection to the Chinese government (god help us if they have blackmail material on him and hunter) and the lefts love of all things authoritarian, this does not bode well for freedom..
Based on Hunter's laptop......I'm guessing when he and "the big guy" went to China, the Chinese got everything they need.

Is there a thread here where people who voted for the big guy explained why? I have got to hear the reasons................
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:24 pm

Back to topic, a national poll just found that 42% of people said they will not get vaccinated.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:53 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:24 pm
Back to topic, a national poll just found that 42% of people said they will not get vaccinated.
Just by happenstance quite close to the same percentage who voted for Trump earlier this month?

Vinny
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:05 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
I just saw CNN release a poll that said 42% of Americans are anti-social-distancing thought criminals.

BTW - my wife sometimes accuses me of being a misogynist and anti-immigrant, then I remind her my favorite philosopher is a chain smoking Russian woman.

We the Living is a very important read for people to see what kind of society we're headed into.

I encourage everyone I know to read Anthem.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:42 pm

SomeDude wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:05 pm
I Shrugged wrote:
I just saw CNN release a poll that said 42% of Americans are anti-social-distancing thought criminals.

BTW - my wife sometimes accuses me of being a misogynist and anti-immigrant, then I remind her my favorite philosopher is a chain smoking Russian woman.

We the Living is a very important read for people to see what kind of society we're headed into.

I encourage everyone I know to read Anthem.
Author? Ayn Rand? If not, who?

Vinny
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:50 pm

Vinny, yes.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:40 pm

Still working on my vaccination...

I'm heading North on I5 and stopped in Redding, CA for the night. I asked the front desk gal if the local restaurants were allowing "dine in".

She said that the county is officially "purple" but everyone is ignoring it.

The 'bar and grill' that I stopped in on this evening was 20 yards of 'stool to stool' and no one masked up. Servers included. We partied like it was 2019. God's country :)

Mark
Redding.jpeg
Redding.jpeg (225.69 KiB) Viewed 535 times
SomeDude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SomeDude » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:48 pm

Mark you're way better looking than your writing implied.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:51 pm

SomeDude wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:48 pm
Mark you're way better looking than your writing implied.
I've been letting my hair grow out.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:09 pm

I have an appointment to get the first dose of the Moderna vaccine next week. Anyone want to talk me out of it?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:26 pm

pugchief wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:09 pm

I have an appointment to get the first dose of the Moderna vaccine next week. Anyone want to talk me out of it?

Are you at the head of the line because of your profession?

My doctor told me that in spite of age I am healthy so I'm probably looking at next summer for mine
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:36 pm

pugchief wrote:
Hell no. I'm all in favor of anyone not me getting the vaccine early and often.
Thank you for your service.
tomfoolery
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?!

Post by tomfoolery » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:44 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:26 pm
pugchief wrote:

My doctor told me that in spite of age I am healthy so I'm probably looking at next summer for mine
I read an article about Stanford medical center who neglected to offer residents the vaccine in the first dose. However, the residents are the front line caregivers!!

Prior to the announcement that they’d be last in line, the residents were asked to volunteer to work on covid units. Outside of their standard clinical hours!!

I support front like workers getting the vaccine first, and all due respect to Pugchief, a dentist who works 5 days a week should be further ahead of line than one who takes Wednesday’s off. Unless it’s the law that dentists office must close Wednesdays. Still waiting for Pugchief to answer that!!

-Tom
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:49 pm

vnatale wrote:
pugchief wrote:
Yes. Not the front, but close to it.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:50 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:36 pm
pugchief wrote:
Hell no. I'm all in favor of anyone not me getting the vaccine early and often.
Thank you for your service.
Glad to oblige. If that was your attempt to dissuade me, you'll have to do better tho.
tomfoolery
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by tomfoolery » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:59 pm

pugchief wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:49 pm
vnatale wrote:
pugchief wrote:
Yes. Not the front, but close to it.
Since you frequently post to the forums on Wednesday’s and you do offer dental information in the permanent dental thread post, does that give you extra points in the algorithm for placement in the vaccine line?

Perhaps placing you somewhere in the middle between dentists who work 5 days a week and dentists who work 4 days a week, because posting dental advice on the forums is somewhat like working!!

Although if you accept this advanced placement in line for the vaccine, does that make you liable for dental advice you provide on the forums, since you are receiving compensation for your service in the form of additional placement in the vaccine line?? If so, how about advice given prior to determination of vaccination placement?

-Tom
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:01 am

pugchief wrote:
Best wishes. Please let us know your experience. I'm still contemplating but leaning heavily toward getting vaccinated whenever my place in line comes up. My daughter-in-law (hospital admin) just got the first shot, said it was like a flu shot. No biggie. My nurse daughter is still leaning no - says not enough time to have evaluated long term consequences.
The darkness will always war against the light. And the light must always war against the darkness. You either let the darkness overcome you, or you overcome the darkness. The mission: Whatever darkness, compromise, or ungodly thing still exists in your life, no matter how small, today, root it out. There is no middle ground.