Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Who is planning on getting vaccinated for Covid-19?

Post by l82start » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:47 pm

glennds wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:58 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:51 pm
A thread with almost exactly the same title already exists:

https://www.gyroscopicinvesting.com/for ... hp?t=11504
Sorry, didn't realize that. I'll see if the moderator can delete this thread.
merged...
Government 2020 - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:02 pm

I have a cautious distrust of generic solutions. Especially medical ones.

In general, I think the medical industry is well meaning and net positive - much like the religion industry. They both do a lot of good. Just not my cup of tea. Some stitches and staples now and then or maybe something to kill giardia.

But I don’t plan on being front of the line for the vaccine. I’d volunteer to be infected though. Better and more proven immunity. I’ve been trying my best and if I haven’t been exposed to it yet, then it’s damn near impossible to catch.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Who is planning on getting vaccinated for Covid-19?

Post by sophie » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:17 pm

glennds wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:07 pm
Thus far only 5% or so of the US population has contracted Covid
Dr. Fauci really ought to read medical journals more often. Studies in Santa Clara, CA and New York State in April and May both showed that positive tests underestimated the number of people who have somehow gained antibody-mediated immunity by a factor of between 20 and 50. A similar observation was made based on the proportion of COVID cases on cruise or military ships. Allowing for easier availability of testing in recent months, you still should count on at least a factor of 10. That would put the proportion of people who are already immune at about half the US population.

Based on this I'd predicted that New York City already has some level of herd immunity. It's looking like that's the case. The rate of positive tests is around 3%, but they are mainly concentrated in clusters of close-knit groups (in Brooklyn, Staten Island, and Inwood). The positivity rate in the city schools and universities (including faculty/staff) is less than 0.5%. None of the micro-clusters or isolated cases have instigated anything like the widespread infections we saw in March and April.

So I would be very much against a universal, mandatory vaccination program using a vaccine that's not been completely tested. Can you imagine if some unforeseen side effect emerges, like what happened with thalidomide? Also, from an ethics perspective, forcing people to take what amounts to an experimental treatment violates every legal principle that exists. I have no problem as long as it's voluntary (and not mandatory), but Fauci's statement is pretty worrying.

Just spotted the bit about this being a duplicate thread - oh well! Too late!
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:37 pm

I will get vaccinated first chance I get. No question about it for me. I don’t really get why someone wouldn’t want to be.
Do yourself a favour and ditch JavaScript: https://rubyonrails.org/
“The answer is not more hours, it's less bullshit.” -- DHH
"The cleanest energy is the energy we don't use." -- Unknown
"Talk is cheap. Show me the code." -- Linus Torvalds
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:42 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:37 pm
I will get vaccinated first chance I get. No question about it for me. I don’t really get why someone wouldn’t want to be.
Why would someone your age and health pick vaccination over exposure to the actual virus?
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:57 pm

Do we even know if you are not infectious during the days following the vaccination?

Before heading overseas for some defense work, the DoD shot me up with everything in their toolkit. The one caveat was the Smallpox vaccine. They wouldn’t give it to anyone with young children at home because of the risk of transmission.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:07 pm

Maddy wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:22 am
For those of you who say you will take the vaccine: How many of you actually have any idea what this "vaccine" consists of? How many have any idea how it will work?
I don’t even know where the universe came from or who I am. I am going to take the vaccine like a good sheep and I’ll report back how it goes.
🦤
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:08 pm

If the vaccine is just a shot of Covid, then it would be 95% effective.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:09 pm

Is it live vaccine or dead vaccine?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:21 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:57 pm
Do we even know if you are not infectious during the days following the vaccination?

Before heading overseas for some defense work, the DoD shot me up with everything in their toolkit. The one caveat was the Smallpox vaccine. They wouldn’t give it to anyone with young children at home because of the risk of transmission.
Did you suffer any side effects from anything the DoD gave to you?

I've yet to have a flu shot in my life. Are there any other shots we adults routinely get? I'm not remembering any, which must mean why I also cannot remember any adverse reactions to a shot.

However, when I was a kid for my first four years of elementary school (starting in kindergarten) I seemed to have every allergy under the sun and was quite regularly going for anti-histamine shots. Does that still happen with kids these days?

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:41 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:21 pm
Did you suffer any side effects from anything the DoD gave to you?
It make me strong. Like bull.

Ivan_Drago.jpg
Ivan_Drago.jpg (13.67 KiB) Viewed 64 times
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:57 pm

It's a vaccine to viral antigens developed using a new mRNA technique.

It'll be most interesting to see who steps forward. There are many on both sides of the political spectrum who will hang back. For me, this is the first time I plan to refuse a vaccine if I have that choice (I may not). The word "new" in the first sentence of this post is the reason. It's an unknown risk as no vaccine made with this method has ever been fully tested. It might make sense for people at high risk for COVID complications, but really not for anyone else.

Of course you should be able to get it if you want it, as long as you're properly informed of the risks of taking an experimental & unproven treatment. I wonder if we are about to see longstanding medical ethical principles tossed aside, along with constitutional protections.