Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:12 pm

I imagine there won’t be a get out of jail free card. I think by early summer the vaccine will be widespread, cases dwindling to very low numbers, and they will declare victory.
tomfoolery
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by tomfoolery » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:35 pm

I won’t get it. Don’t want to risk it. The potential risk of covid is far less to me than the potential side effects of a poorly tested, quickly produced vaccine.

If we need to have documentation showing we got the vaccine for whatever reason, well, a piece of paper is a piece of paper. So...
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:22 am

For those of you who say you will take the vaccine: How many of you actually have any idea what this "vaccine" consists of? How many have any idea how it will work? (No fair researching it now.) Considering that a number of different products and technologies are being prepared for market (some of them having nothing to do with the traditional concept of "vaccine"), does your decision to accept "the vaccine" represent your consent to whatever technology happens to be mandated, or to be made available, first?
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:07 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:12 pm
I imagine there won’t be a get out of jail free card. I think by early summer the vaccine will be widespread, cases dwindling to very low numbers, and they will declare victory.
This is exactly what I'm expecting too. Except, it will take a LONG time for the positive test results (remember it's that and NOT cases) to dwindle, and there's a point below which they will never dwindle. That's because a proportion of the tests will be false positives, and another fraction of the positive results will be due to past infection (e.g. months previously). We don't know what this is but it could easily be a couple of percent - and it is likely to grow over time. So it could be a very long lag between the start of distribution of the vaccine and Biden declaring victory. And, I expect the virus to resurface every flu season just like it's doing now, so the whole deal with lockdowns and mask mandates may recur each winter for years.

Pug, the answer to your question about employer vaccine mandate is yes, although it has not been tested in court. I guess they figure no one is going to court over the flu vaccine, but COVID may be a different story. We'll see.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:00 am

I would be glad to donate my vaccination shot to a minority (I'm thinking disabled lesbian) in exchange for my veneration by society and the proper credentials to go about my life as if I had gotten it myself, instead of valiantly checking my privilege.
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:08 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:00 am
I would be glad to donate my vaccination shot to a minority (I'm thinking disabled lesbian) in exchange for my veneration by society and the proper credentials to go about my life as if I had gotten it myself, instead of valiantly checking my privilege.
;D 8)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:17 pm

I have yet to get a regular flu shot in my life.

Last year my doctor convinced me to get one but they failed to flag me on my way out to get it then. I was never sufficiently motivated to make the five minute walk back there from my office to get one.

Same for this year so far. I can get one in the supermarket but not been sufficiently motivated to take the time to do so.

Probably will not get that one since I live such an isolated life these days.

As far as the virus shot goes? It depends where things stand both in my area and my life. If I'm going back to playing basketball and and softball and being in crowds for live music, definitely yes. If I'm still only off my property briefly once every three weeks...then probably no.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:31 am

vnatale wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:17 pm
I have yet to get a regular flu shot in my life.

Last year my doctor convinced me to get one but they failed to flag me on my way out to get it then. I was never sufficiently motivated to make the five minute walk back there from my office to get one.

Same for this year so far. I can get one in the supermarket but not been sufficiently motivated to take the time to do so.

Probably will not get that one since I live such an isolated life these days.

As far as the virus shot goes? It depends where things stand both in my area and my life. If I'm going back to playing basketball and and softball and being in crowds for live music, definitely yes. If I'm still only off my property briefly once every three weeks...then probably no.

Vinny
Just remember in the days of the US testing nukes underground in Nevada, the radiation could be detected a day or two later on the east coast. I remember our High School science class standing outside the class room with a geiger counter to do experiements. Virus particles are a whole lot smaller than the alpha/beta particles (and perhaps a touch of gamma radiation) that drifted in on the wind from a couple thousand miles away. Your isolated life style might not be quite as isolated from a virus as you think. :)
I marvel at the creation - its beauty, its endurance, its complexity. I marvel that man can make complex things but is incapable of making even the simplest living organism - a blade of grass, a tree, an ant, an amoeba.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Who is planning on getting vaccinated for Covid-19?

Post by glennds » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:07 pm

I listened to Dr. Fauci on Face the Nation this morning. Looking ahead, he talked about the two vaccines that have made it through trials with 90%+ efficacy rates, with others hopefully on the way. The ultimate public health strategy of a vaccine is for wide enough adoption to allow for herd immunity. Thus far only 5% or so of the US population has contracted Covid, so we would have a really long way to go if getting herd immunity naturally was the goal without a vaccine.

So two issues arise, one being the logistics of vaccine distribution and administration. The other being acceptance.

I think the logistics would eventually be worked out one way or another. They're talking about cost to the recipient being minimal or zero.
But given the politicization and controversy over masks, I have no idea what the acceptance level might be for receiving the vaccine at all.

What is your position?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Who is planning on getting vaccinated for Covid-19?

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:50 pm

I haven’t decided yet. Nurses in my family and friends say they won’t unless mandated, in which case they could quit rather than be vaccinated; can take 10-12 years to understand long term consequences, e.g. Guillin-Barre paralysis, for new antivirals.
I marvel at the creation - its beauty, its endurance, its complexity. I marvel that man can make complex things but is incapable of making even the simplest living organism - a blade of grass, a tree, an ant, an amoeba.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:51 pm

A thread with almost exactly the same title already exists:

https://www.gyroscopicinvesting.com/for ... hp?t=11504
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:58 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:51 pm
A thread with almost exactly the same title already exists:

https://www.gyroscopicinvesting.com/for ... hp?t=11504
Sorry, didn't realize that. I'll see if the moderator can delete this thread.