Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by I Shrugged » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:00 pm

I hang around with a lot of seniors. Most are reporting not much reaction. One person had a low grade fever for several days. She got vaccinated right after having Covid. All of these have gotten Moderna.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:42 am

How old is your daughter Mountaineer?

I've heard also that older people (age > 65) have less of a problem with adverse reactions than younger ones. The doctor in Florida who died of ITP (an autoimmune condition) was 55.

I can't afford even a single day of being that sick, not with all the responsibilities I'm carrying. I was really hoping to be able to duck out of the second shot as it's not likely to add much in the way of efficacy, and is therefore almost all risk with near zero (if not actually zero) benefit. If I absolutely have to take it, I'll premedicate with prednisone & NSAIDs. No guarantees, but it would theoretically blunt the immune response that causes those symptoms.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:38 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:34 am
Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:03 pm
Scheduled for 2nd injection Saturday. Hope the side effects are reasonable. Will let you know how it goes. 👍🏼
My wife and I had our second Pfizer vaccination this morning about 2 1/2 hours ago; neither of us had any immediate effects. We are hoping for the best.

Our daughter got her second Moderna injection this past Thursday around 9am - almost immediately had high blood pressure of 175/115, tunnel vision, very loud ringing in ears, felt clammy and "fuzzy". Was better after sitting for an hour and drinking a lot of water while being monitored. Was able to finish her workday. She got pretty sick about 15 hours after the injection (chills, fever, headache and horrible body ache all over) and felt bad all day yesterday (Friday); had low grade fever that was somewhat controlled by Tylenol and ibuprofen. She slept about 11 hours last night and feels better but not 100% this morning (Saturday).

Almost 27 hours since we received the second Pfizer vaccination. Minimal after effects. Slightly sore arm at injection site that is now almost unnoticeable. Maybe a little more tired this morning than usual. We drove to church as usual. All in all, no big deal, just a ho-hum. Thanks be to God! 🙏🏼
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
williswine
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by williswine » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:51 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:38 am
Mountaineer wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:34 am
Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:03 pm
Scheduled for 2nd injection Saturday. Hope the side effects are reasonable. Will let you know how it goes. 👍🏼
My wife and I had our second Pfizer vaccination this morning about 2 1/2 hours ago; neither of us had any immediate effects. We are hoping for the best.

Our daughter got her second Moderna injection this past Thursday around 9am - almost immediately had high blood pressure of 175/115, tunnel vision, very loud ringing in ears, felt clammy and "fuzzy". Was better after sitting for an hour and drinking a lot of water while being monitored. Was able to finish her workday. She got pretty sick about 15 hours after the injection (chills, fever, headache and horrible body ache all over) and felt bad all day yesterday (Friday); had low grade fever that was somewhat controlled by Tylenol and ibuprofen. She slept about 11 hours last night and feels better but not 100% this morning (Saturday).

Almost 27 hours since we received the second Pfizer vaccination. Minimal after effects. Slightly sore arm at injection site that is now almost unnoticeable. Maybe a little more tired this morning than usual. We drove to church as usual. All in all, no big deal, just a ho-hum. Thanks be to God! 🙏🏼
I received my 2nd Pfizer-BioNTech dose a bit over 2 weeks ago. Experienced some very mild injection area soreness for a day or two. Perhaps a bit of a headache but that could be totally unrelated. No other reaction. I did want to feel more than that to get more of a physical feel that the doses were doing something but nothing like a flu shot for example. Now I just wonder when we'll know how long the vaccines work.

I know two people (in their late 60s, early 70s) who received the Moderna vaccine and like me had nothing special to complain about.

I would expect a more traditional vaccine like that from J&J to potentially have the same side effects as a flu shot by virtue of using an adenovirus vector. I am not an expert in the field but since I understand that the DNA in the J&J vaccine is translated by cells into mRNA instructing them, like the mRNA in the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines, to build the SARS-CoV-2's spike protein, at the end of the day, the side effects of the J&J vaccine might also be mild.
williswine
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by williswine » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:48 pm

Vil wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:07 am
I do not know whether that has been discussed here (had a glance over, but was not able to find) or elsewhere ... I am pretty much ignorant on how vaccination in US is implemented and whether you've given the choice which vaccine to get.
Anyway, I started research a bit, basically the options to choose from, are three : Moderna vs Pfizer vs Astra-Zeneca. Sputink V - unsure whether we will get it at all (some of the EU-member countries imported it, even though not yet officially approved by the European 'FDA'). Any thoughts and/or good web articles you can point me to ? Thanks (as usual)
An overview (updated daily) of what's available out there: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... acker.html

I note recalling reading (not sure where though) that the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is fully approved rather than under emergency use authorization in Australia.
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:36 am

williswine wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:48 pm
Vil wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:07 am
I do not know whether that has been discussed here (had a glance over, but was not able to find) or elsewhere ... I am pretty much ignorant on how vaccination in US is implemented and whether you've given the choice which vaccine to get.
Anyway, I started research a bit, basically the options to choose from, are three : Moderna vs Pfizer vs Astra-Zeneca. Sputink V - unsure whether we will get it at all (some of the EU-member countries imported it, even though not yet officially approved by the European 'FDA'). Any thoughts and/or good web articles you can point me to ? Thanks (as usual)
An overview (updated daily) of what's available out there: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... acker.html

I note recalling reading (not sure where though) that the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is fully approved rather than under emergency use authorization in Australia.
Thanks, that's a neat overview, indeed.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:46 am

WiseOne wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:42 am

I've heard also that older people (age > 65) have less of a problem with adverse reactions than younger ones. The doctor in Florida who died of ITP (an autoimmune condition) was 55.

I can't afford even a single day of being that sick, not with all the responsibilities I'm carrying. I was really hoping to be able to duck out of the second shot as it's not likely to add much in the way of efficacy, and is therefore almost all risk with near zero (if not actually zero) benefit. If I absolutely have to take it, I'll premedicate with prednisone & NSAIDs. No guarantees, but it would theoretically blunt the immune response that causes those symptoms.
That doctor they believe had a low platelet issue and was headed toward organ failure before the covid shot ..it may be just a coincidence he died after it
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:28 am

WiseOne wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:42 am

Hi WiseOne,

My daughter is 51. She is a pediatric nurse. She said that almost everyone in her office, perhaps 8 or 10, got rather sick after the second Moderna injection. Almost all of them had been working around COVID patients and my daughter "thought" she probably had it this past summer but was not tested. She also got rather sick after her first injection. I wonder if there could be a correlation of those having had COVID and getting sick after being vaccinated.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.