Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Post Reply
User avatar
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1145
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:36 pm

This harkens back to the Will you wear a mask thread.

I am pretty sure I will get the vaccine.
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4324
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by pugchief » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:48 pm

My original plan was to wait a couple of months to make sure there were no side effects, but TBH, I'm now leaning toward just getting it. We'll see.

I do always get the flu shot.
User avatar
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by GT » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:52 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:36 pm
This harkens back to the Will you wear a mask thread.

I am pretty sure I will get the vaccine.
Not for a while -
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:39 pm

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by pmward » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:00 pm

If the FDA approves the vaccine, yes I will get is as soon as I can. The benefit of being able to travel and such without worry outweighs the risks of the vaccine to me. I also get the flu shot every year and have had no issues. Not worried, so long as the FDA and the scientific community as a whole put their stamp on it.
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4324
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by pugchief » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:12 pm

pmward wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:00 pm
If the FDA approves the vaccine, yes I will get is as soon as I can. The benefit of being able to travel and such without worry outweighs the risks of the vaccine to me. I also get the flu shot every year and have had no issues. Not worried, so long as the FDA and the scientific community as a whole put their stamp on it.
It would make me more comfortable if some politicians got it first... :P
User avatar
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4350
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:39 pm

pugchief wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:12 pm
pmward wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:00 pm
If the FDA approves the vaccine, yes I will get is as soon as I can. The benefit of being able to travel and such without worry outweighs the risks of the vaccine to me. I also get the flu shot every year and have had no issues. Not worried, so long as the FDA and the scientific community as a whole put their stamp on it.
It would make me more comfortable if some politicians got it first... :P
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Amen! Starting with Nancy, Joe, and Kamala.
The darkness will always war against the light. And the light must always war against the darkness. You either let the darkness overcome you, or you overcome the darkness. The mission: Whatever darkness, compromise, or ungodly thing still exists in your life, no matter how small, today, root it out. There is no middle ground.
User avatar
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:30 am

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by jalanlong » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:59 pm

I have never taken a Flu vaccine so I don't see any reason to start taking a Covid vaccine. My only exception would be if Biden or some governors put in restrictions that said you have to be vaccinated before coming in from out-of-state. Most of my relatives are in California and I could see that happening there so I may have to.
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4291
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by sophie » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:36 pm

pmward wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:00 pm
The benefit of being able to travel and such without worry outweighs the risks of the vaccine to me.
Don't be so sure of that. The vaccine won't protect you 100%, and I think highly unlikely that travel & mask restrictions will be lifted for people who get the vaccine. I'm guessing also that the reported 90% efficacy rate is probably wildly optimistic and statistically not well supported. I'd much more readily believe a number like 70% in real life.

For myself - I'm not an antivaxxer, but I find the idea of rolling out a barely tested and poorly understood treatment to practically the whole population in a situation where COVID really doesn't pose a serious threat anymore really ticks me off. I fully expect my employer (university medical center) to make this mandatory. Best I can do is to delay as long as I can and watch for signs of adverse effects. If I do see evidence of that (e.g. the ill-fated swine flu vaccine), and it comes down to quit or take the vaccine, well, I'm not sure which way I'll go to be honest.
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2428
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by Tortoise » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:09 pm

For lifting travel and mask restrictions for people who get the vaccine, how would authorities check vaccination status for each person? A national database? A special card or other physical document?
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4324
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by pugchief » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:17 pm

sophie wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:36 pm
pmward wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:00 pm
The benefit of being able to travel and such without worry outweighs the risks of the vaccine to me.
Don't be so sure of that. The vaccine won't protect you 100%, and I think highly unlikely that travel & mask restrictions will be lifted for people who get the vaccine. I'm guessing also that the reported 90% efficacy rate is probably wildly optimistic and statistically not well supported. I'd much more readily believe a number like 70% in real life.

For myself - I'm not an antivaxxer, but I find the idea of rolling out a barely tested and poorly understood treatment to practically the whole population in a situation where COVID really doesn't pose a serious threat anymore really ticks me off. I fully expect my employer (university medical center) to make this mandatory. Best I can do is to delay as long as I can and watch for signs of adverse effects. If I do see evidence of that (e.g. the ill-fated swine flu vaccine), and it comes down to quit or take the vaccine, well, I'm not sure which way I'll go to be honest.
Can they legally require you to take a vaccine to keep your job? With labor laws the way they are, that seems like a stretch.
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4324
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by pugchief » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:17 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:09 pm
For lifting travel and mask restrictions for people who get the vaccine, how would authorities check vaccination status for each person? A national database? A special card or other physical document?
Bill Gates microchip, silly. :P
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2428
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by Tortoise » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:50 pm

pugchief wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:17 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:09 pm
For lifting travel and mask restrictions for people who get the vaccine, how would authorities check vaccination status for each person? A national database? A special card or other physical document?
Bill Gates microchip, silly. :P
I think I prefer the t-shirt method:

Image
User avatar
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1145
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:12 pm

I imagine there won’t be a get out of jail free card. I think by early summer the vaccine will be widespread, cases dwindling to very low numbers, and they will declare victory.
User avatar
tomfoolery
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 720
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:47 pm

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by tomfoolery » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:35 pm

I won’t get it. Don’t want to risk it. The potential risk of covid is far less to me than the potential side effects of a poorly tested, quickly produced vaccine.

If we need to have documentation showing we got the vaccine for whatever reason, well, a piece of paper is a piece of paper. So...
User avatar
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:43 am

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by Maddy » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:22 am

For those of you who say you will take the vaccine: How many of you actually have any idea what this "vaccine" consists of? How many have any idea how it will work? (No fair researching it now.) Considering that a number of different products and technologies are being prepared for market (some of them having nothing to do with the traditional concept of "vaccine"), does your decision to accept "the vaccine" represent your consent to whatever technology happens to be mandated, or to be made available, first?
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4291
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by sophie » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:07 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:12 pm
I imagine there won’t be a get out of jail free card. I think by early summer the vaccine will be widespread, cases dwindling to very low numbers, and they will declare victory.
This is exactly what I'm expecting too. Except, it will take a LONG time for the positive test results (remember it's that and NOT cases) to dwindle, and there's a point below which they will never dwindle. That's because a proportion of the tests will be false positives, and another fraction of the positive results will be due to past infection (e.g. months previously). We don't know what this is but it could easily be a couple of percent - and it is likely to grow over time. So it could be a very long lag between the start of distribution of the vaccine and Biden declaring victory. And, I expect the virus to resurface every flu season just like it's doing now, so the whole deal with lockdowns and mask mandates may recur each winter for years.

Pug, the answer to your question about employer vaccine mandate is yes, although it has not been tested in court. I guess they figure no one is going to court over the flu vaccine, but COVID may be a different story. We'll see.
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3468
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:00 am

I would be glad to donate my vaccination shot to a minority (I'm thinking disabled lesbian) in exchange for my veneration by society and the proper credentials to go about my life as if I had gotten it myself, instead of valiantly checking my privilege.
One horse can carry 125 kg on its back, but it can drag 2500 kg on a cart. If it pulls a barge along a river, it can drag 30,000 kg, 30 tonnes, and it can drag 50 tonnes if the weight is on a barge in quiet water, i.e., on a canal.
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4324
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by pugchief » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:08 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:00 am
I would be glad to donate my vaccination shot to a minority (I'm thinking disabled lesbian) in exchange for my veneration by society and the proper credentials to go about my life as if I had gotten it myself, instead of valiantly checking my privilege.
;D 8)
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5626
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by vnatale » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:17 pm

I have yet to get a regular flu shot in my life.

Last year my doctor convinced me to get one but they failed to flag me on my way out to get it then. I was never sufficiently motivated to make the five minute walk back there from my office to get one.

Same for this year so far. I can get one in the supermarket but not been sufficiently motivated to take the time to do so.

Probably will not get that one since I live such an isolated life these days.

As far as the virus shot goes? It depends where things stand both in my area and my life. If I'm going back to playing basketball and and softball and being in crowds for live music, definitely yes. If I'm still only off my property briefly once every three weeks...then probably no.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4350
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:31 am

vnatale wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:17 pm
I have yet to get a regular flu shot in my life.

Last year my doctor convinced me to get one but they failed to flag me on my way out to get it then. I was never sufficiently motivated to make the five minute walk back there from my office to get one.

Same for this year so far. I can get one in the supermarket but not been sufficiently motivated to take the time to do so.

Probably will not get that one since I live such an isolated life these days.

As far as the virus shot goes? It depends where things stand both in my area and my life. If I'm going back to playing basketball and and softball and being in crowds for live music, definitely yes. If I'm still only off my property briefly once every three weeks...then probably no.

Vinny
Just remember in the days of the US testing nukes underground in Nevada, the radiation could be detected a day or two later on the east coast. I remember our High School science class standing outside the class room with a geiger counter to do experiements. Virus particles are a whole lot smaller than the alpha/beta particles (and perhaps a touch of gamma radiation) that drifted in on the wind from a couple thousand miles away. Your isolated life style might not be quite as isolated from a virus as you think. :)
The darkness will always war against the light. And the light must always war against the darkness. You either let the darkness overcome you, or you overcome the darkness. The mission: Whatever darkness, compromise, or ungodly thing still exists in your life, no matter how small, today, root it out. There is no middle ground.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 577
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 am

Who is planning on getting vaccinated for Covid-19?

Post by glennds » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:07 pm

I listened to Dr. Fauci on Face the Nation this morning. Looking ahead, he talked about the two vaccines that have made it through trials with 90%+ efficacy rates, with others hopefully on the way. The ultimate public health strategy of a vaccine is for wide enough adoption to allow for herd immunity. Thus far only 5% or so of the US population has contracted Covid, so we would have a really long way to go if getting herd immunity naturally was the goal without a vaccine.

So two issues arise, one being the logistics of vaccine distribution and administration. The other being acceptance.

I think the logistics would eventually be worked out one way or another. They're talking about cost to the recipient being minimal or zero.
But given the politicization and controversy over masks, I have no idea what the acceptance level might be for receiving the vaccine at all.

What is your position?
User avatar
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4350
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Who is planning on getting vaccinated for Covid-19?

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:50 pm

I haven’t decided yet. Nurses in my family and friends say they won’t unless mandated, in which case they could quit rather than be vaccinated; can take 10-12 years to understand long term consequences, e.g. Guillin-Barre paralysis, for new antivirals.
The darkness will always war against the light. And the light must always war against the darkness. You either let the darkness overcome you, or you overcome the darkness. The mission: Whatever darkness, compromise, or ungodly thing still exists in your life, no matter how small, today, root it out. There is no middle ground.
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2428
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Who is planning on getting vaccinated for Covid-19?

Post by Tortoise » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:51 pm

A thread with almost exactly the same title already exists:

https://www.gyroscopicinvesting.com/for ... hp?t=11504
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 577
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 am

Re: Who is planning on getting vaccinated for Covid-19?

Post by glennds » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:58 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:51 pm
A thread with almost exactly the same title already exists:

https://www.gyroscopicinvesting.com/for ... hp?t=11504
Sorry, didn't realize that. I'll see if the moderator can delete this thread.
User avatar
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1460
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: Who is planning on getting vaccinated for Covid-19?

Post by l82start » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:47 pm

glennds wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:58 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:51 pm
A thread with almost exactly the same title already exists:

https://www.gyroscopicinvesting.com/for ... hp?t=11504
Sorry, didn't realize that. I'll see if the moderator can delete this thread.
merged...
Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Post Reply