Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:36 pm

This harkens back to the Will you wear a mask thread.

I am pretty sure I will get the vaccine.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Will you get vaccinated for COVID?

Post by pugchief » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:48 pm

My original plan was to wait a couple of months to make sure there were no side effects, but TBH, I'm now leaning toward just getting it. We'll see.

I do always get the flu shot.
GT

Post by GT » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:52 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:36 pm
This harkens back to the Will you wear a mask thread.

I am pretty sure I will get the vaccine.
Not for a while -
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:00 pm

If the FDA approves the vaccine, yes I will get is as soon as I can. The benefit of being able to travel and such without worry outweighs the risks of the vaccine to me. I also get the flu shot every year and have had no issues. Not worried, so long as the FDA and the scientific community as a whole put their stamp on it.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:12 pm

pmward wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:00 pm
If the FDA approves the vaccine, yes I will get is as soon as I can. The benefit of being able to travel and such without worry outweighs the risks of the vaccine to me. I also get the flu shot every year and have had no issues. Not worried, so long as the FDA and the scientific community as a whole put their stamp on it.
It would make me more comfortable if some politicians got it first... :P
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:39 pm

pugchief wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:12 pm
pmward wrote:
It would make me more comfortable if some politicians got it first... :P
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Amen! Starting with Nancy, Joe, and Kamala.
I marvel at the creation - its beauty, its endurance, its complexity. I marvel that man can make complex things but is incapable of making even the simplest living organism - a blade of grass, a tree, an ant, an amoeba.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:59 pm

I have never taken a Flu vaccine so I don't see any reason to start taking a Covid vaccine. My only exception would be if Biden or some governors put in restrictions that said you have to be vaccinated before coming in from out-of-state. Most of my relatives are in California and I could see that happening there so I may have to.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:36 pm

pmward wrote:
The benefit of being able to travel and such without worry outweighs the risks of the vaccine to me.
Don't be so sure of that. The vaccine won't protect you 100%, and I think highly unlikely that travel & mask restrictions will be lifted for people who get the vaccine. I'm guessing also that the reported 90% efficacy rate is probably wildly optimistic and statistically not well supported. I'd much more readily believe a number like 70% in real life.

For myself - I'm not an antivaxxer, but I find the idea of rolling out a barely tested and poorly understood treatment to practically the whole population in a situation where COVID really doesn't pose a serious threat anymore really ticks me off. I fully expect my employer (university medical center) to make this mandatory. Best I can do is to delay as long as I can and watch for signs of adverse effects. If I do see evidence of that (e.g. the ill-fated swine flu vaccine), and it comes down to quit or take the vaccine, well, I'm not sure which way I'll go to be honest.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:09 pm

For lifting travel and mask restrictions for people who get the vaccine, how would authorities check vaccination status for each person? A national database? A special card or other physical document?
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:17 pm

sophie wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:36 pm
pmward wrote:
The benefit of being able to travel and such without worry outweighs the risks of the vaccine to me.
Don't be so sure of that. The vaccine won't protect you 100%, and I think highly unlikely that travel & mask restrictions will be lifted for people who get the vaccine. I'm guessing also that the reported 90% efficacy rate is probably wildly optimistic and statistically not well supported. I'd much more readily believe a number like 70% in real life.

For myself - I'm not an antivaxxer, but I find the idea of rolling out a barely tested and poorly understood treatment to practically the whole population in a situation where COVID really doesn't pose a serious threat anymore really ticks me off. I fully expect my employer (university medical center) to make this mandatory. Best I can do is to delay as long as I can and watch for signs of adverse effects. If I do see evidence of that (e.g. the ill-fated swine flu vaccine), and it comes down to quit or take the vaccine, well, I'm not sure which way I'll go to be honest.
Can they legally require you to take a vaccine to keep your job? With labor laws the way they are, that seems like a stretch.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:17 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:09 pm
For lifting travel and mask restrictions for people who get the vaccine, how would authorities check vaccination status for each person? A national database? A special card or other physical document?
Bill Gates microchip, silly. :P
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:50 pm

pugchief wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:17 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:09 pm
Bill Gates microchip, silly. :P
I think I prefer the t-shirt method: