Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: What makes you happy? Unhappy?

Post by Cortopassi »

Happy: Seeing my kids continue to succeed in school even with all this shit thrown at them
Happy: Losing 10 pounds on my latest stab at Keto eating, and actual feeling a significant difference in joints and energy
Happy: My hydroponics setup is producing like crazy (basil, lettuce, spinach mostly)
Happy: My job is nearly completely unaffected by the lockdown (military and school IT devices)
Happy: How the pp is doing

Unhappy: The completely random ways lockdown related rules are being applied and how it is screwing with so many people who can't afford it
Unhappy: My wife still will not eat inside at restaurants. :D
Unhappy: My daughter's study abroad completely cancelled

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Cortopassi wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:22 am Happy: Seeing my kids continue to succeed in school even with all this shit thrown at them
Happy: Losing 10 pounds on my latest stab at Keto eating, and actual feeling a significant difference in joints and energy
Happy: My hydroponics setup is producing like crazy (basil, lettuce, spinach mostly)
Happy: My job is nearly completely unaffected by the lockdown (military and school IT devices)

Unhappy: The completely random ways lockdown related rules are being applied and how it is screwing with so many people who can't afford it

Need WAY, WAY more details on this!!! Your picture ALONE may have just sold me! What were your resources to learn how to do this? What did you have to buy to do this? Everything else you think one needs to know to replicate what you are doing!

Thanks!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

tomfoolery wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:47 am I’ve been pretty unhappy this year. Let’s discuss what makes us happy and unhappy with a goal of trying to identify actionable steps toward increasing happiness and decreasing unhappiness. Let’s help each other find the path to their happiness that is sometimes difficult for us to see for ourselves but easy for an outside observer.

Happy:

Meeting people that share similar political ideology, which seems increasingly rare, because otherwise I feel like I’m the crazy person surrounded by 99.99% who disagree since they tend to be the most vocal. My concern is surrounded myself with only like-minded people and not growing or learning and becoming trapped in an echo chamber myself.

Happy:

Meeting people with different political ideology and changing their mind, if only slightly, toward my ideology of greater freedom and less government regulation. For example, a democrat voting massage therapist who reconsidered her political views when faced with a $500 city licensing fee, and regulations for her to prove she isn’t a prostitute that cut significantly into the $30k a year she makes. I never expect to have anyone make a 180, but if I can get them to course correct a few degrees, I’m happy. Unfortunately, it seems like my success rate on Internet forums is 0% although in-person is closer to 80%.

I got the most liberal extreme person I am friends with to admit if he had children he would send them to private school and would live in an area without poor people. Which was shocking given how he believes all private schools should be shut down because their presence threatens public education and takes funding them from, whether via charter vouchers or simply because rich people don’t donate to their public schools they don’t attend. This friend is very very liberal, probably more so than doodle, and when really pressed to consider the situation, he saw my side, a bit at least.

The same man refused to call 911 on a homeless person who was sexually assaulting his friend in public, because of fear the police would kill him for being black. And yes, he’s a college professor, and so is the female friend who was being assaulted who concurred it best not to call 911.

Unhappy:

Being told by the government I can’t go to the gym for 5 months this year. Gaining 30 pounds due to it, in combination with stress eating due to that the government was controlling my life too much. My solution was building a home gym inside my apartment that cost 5-figures. And future planning to become as independent as possible from the government.

Oh, you like to eat meat? Maybe there’s a shortage due to government regulations and the government orders private grocery stores to ration, and forbids “price gouging”, which leads to shortages. I wouldn’t have thought this possible until this year. Solution? I plan to move to a small ranch in a rural area and raise my own livestock.

Much like Harry Browne said of gold, if you don’t hold it, it’s not yours, I will say if you don’t own the thing, whether it be gym equipment, or a cow, or chickens, then the government can take your ability to transact those items and services at gunpoint.

The result if everyone thought like me would be a 90% drop in GDP as people modify their lives and living situation to be more independent from government control. Because moving to a rural area and spending time raising livestock and everyone having their own $10k home gym that sits unused for 23 hours a day is really inefficient use of resources. But, we’ve learned it’s not possible for a group of people to pool their resources together for gym equipment and share it, to reduce times when it’s not in use and thus gain economic efficiency. Because the government can say fuck you, no one gets to use that shared equipment you bought as a collective in the form of gym equipment.

And one man or woman can do it. Unilaterally. All it took to close gyms was the governor signing a piece of paper in many states. No legislative body. No judge. One person. And when a group of people decided fuck that, and made plans to kidnap a governor, these people are the monsters and vilified. The governor who fucked over their state still has their job, and a judge months lar3e said no you can’t do that, and the governor said “L-O-L Oops my bad” and shrugged and that was it.

So what makes me happy is focusing on how to separate as much as possible from relationships that are regulated by the government and making plans to shrug.
Firstly, I don't think you can pigeonhole me as a "liberal"...I have mentioned on numerous occasions how I agree with a lot of Trump's policies. Yeah, I do think that we have a societal wealth distribution problem and a welfare system for big business that has gotten out of control.

Sounds to me like you should set up a libertarian commune. I'm dead serious about that as well and the idea has passed through my head many times.

Find 10 like minded individuals and purchase a massive tract of land. With 100,000k investment each (1million total) you could buy hundreds of acres of good land in any number of states. Set it up as a corporation with shares and parcel the land into acre homesites with maybe a couple hundred acres set aside for ranching, hunting, food forest etc. You could have your own community well, power generation system, and share resources like your gym.

You could set up covenants to restrict sales to certain people with a particular worldview and admit people with skills the community needed. These intentional communities do exist and I think they would make people like you happy. I've even thought of joining one myself.

Check this one out: https://sewaneecreek.com/about/
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

doodle wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:53 am
tomfoolery wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:47 am I’ve been pretty unhappy this year. Let’s discuss what makes us happy and unhappy with a goal of trying to identify actionable steps toward increasing happiness and decreasing unhappiness. Let’s help each other find the path to their happiness that is sometimes difficult for us to see for ourselves but easy for an outside observer.

Happy:

Meeting people that share similar political ideology, which seems increasingly rare, because otherwise I feel like I’m the crazy person surrounded by 99.99% who disagree since they tend to be the most vocal. My concern is surrounded myself with only like-minded people and not growing or learning and becoming trapped in an echo chamber myself.

Happy:

Meeting people with different political ideology and changing their mind, if only slightly, toward my ideology of greater freedom and less government regulation. For example, a democrat voting massage therapist who reconsidered her political views when faced with a $500 city licensing fee, and regulations for her to prove she isn’t a prostitute that cut significantly into the $30k a year she makes. I never expect to have anyone make a 180, but if I can get them to course correct a few degrees, I’m happy. Unfortunately, it seems like my success rate on Internet forums is 0% although in-person is closer to 80%.

I got the most liberal extreme person I am friends with to admit if he had children he would send them to private school and would live in an area without poor people. Which was shocking given how he believes all private schools should be shut down because their presence threatens public education and takes funding them from, whether via charter vouchers or simply because rich people don’t donate to their public schools they don’t attend. This friend is very very liberal, probably more so than doodle, and when really pressed to consider the situation, he saw my side, a bit at least.

The same man refused to call 911 on a homeless person who was sexually assaulting his friend in public, because of fear the police would kill him for being black. And yes, he’s a college professor, and so is the female friend who was being assaulted who concurred it best not to call 911.

Unhappy:

Being told by the government I can’t go to the gym for 5 months this year. Gaining 30 pounds due to it, in combination with stress eating due to that the government was controlling my life too much. My solution was building a home gym inside my apartment that cost 5-figures. And future planning to become as independent as possible from the government.

Oh, you like to eat meat? Maybe there’s a shortage due to government regulations and the government orders private grocery stores to ration, and forbids “price gouging”, which leads to shortages. I wouldn’t have thought this possible until this year. Solution? I plan to move to a small ranch in a rural area and raise my own livestock.

Much like Harry Browne said of gold, if you don’t hold it, it’s not yours, I will say if you don’t own the thing, whether it be gym equipment, or a cow, or chickens, then the government can take your ability to transact those items and services at gunpoint.

The result if everyone thought like me would be a 90% drop in GDP as people modify their lives and living situation to be more independent from government control. Because moving to a rural area and spending time raising livestock and everyone having their own $10k home gym that sits unused for 23 hours a day is really inefficient use of resources. But, we’ve learned it’s not possible for a group of people to pool their resources together for gym equipment and share it, to reduce times when it’s not in use and thus gain economic efficiency. Because the government can say fuck you, no one gets to use that shared equipment you bought as a collective in the form of gym equipment.

And one man or woman can do it. Unilaterally. All it took to close gyms was the governor signing a piece of paper in many states. No legislative body. No judge. One person. And when a group of people decided fuck that, and made plans to kidnap a governor, these people are the monsters and vilified. The governor who fucked over their state still has their job, and a judge months lar3e said no you can’t do that, and the governor said “L-O-L Oops my bad” and shrugged and that was it.

So what makes me happy is focusing on how to separate as much as possible from relationships that are regulated by the government and making plans to shrug.
Firstly, I don't think you can pigeonhole me as a "liberal"...I have mentioned on numerous occasions how I agree with a lot of Trump's policies. Yeah, I do think that we have a societal wealth distribution problem and a welfare system for big business that has gotten out of control.

Sounds to me like you should set up a libertarian commune. I'm dead serious about that as well and the idea has passed through my head many times.

Find 10 like minded individuals and purchase a massive tract of land. With 100,000k investment each (1million total) you could buy hundreds of acres of good land in any number of states. Set it up as a corporation with shares and parcel the land into acre homesites with maybe a couple hundred acres set aside for ranching, hunting, food forest etc. You could have your own community well, power generation system, and share resources like your gym.

You could set up covenants to restrict sales to certain people with a particular worldview and admit people with skills the community needed. These intentional communities do exist and I think they would make people like you happy. I've even thought of joining one myself.

Check this one out: https://sewaneecreek.com/about/

It's easy. Those on either of the extremes will oftentimes typecast those as not also being on the same extreme as being part of the opposite extreme, not recognizing that there will be moderates or those leaning one way or the other who will therefore believe parts of each of the the extreme views but, obviously, not all parts of the extreme view.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:34 am Tom, buying the gym was a great idea, and not at all a waste of money. As long as you have the motivation to workout, it will be priceless. I have saved countless hours over the years not commuting back and forth to the gym. I play the music *I* like, and am able to watch any show I want during cardio. I never have to wait for a machine, and there is no disgusting sweat or spittle anywhere. I can not catch Covid in my gym, and it can not be shut down by the governor. The workouts have kept me in shape during the lockdown as well as during other time periods where time crunches might have made it tough to go out rather than to the basement. The workouts also reduce stress. Worth every penny.

You might also consider more outcome independence. You can't fix stupid or make others think the way you do. Who cares?
Wholeheartedly second all you have to say. However, I question why Tom needed to spend five figures for a suitable home gym. I'm looking at $225 for mine!

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:41 am
vnatale wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:37 am
MangoMan wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:34 am Tom, buying the gym was a great idea, and not at all a waste of money. As long as you have the motivation to workout, it will be priceless. I have saved countless hours over the years not commuting back and forth to the gym. I play the music *I* like, and am able to watch any show I want during cardio. I never have to wait for a machine, and there is no disgusting sweat or spittle anywhere. I can not catch Covid in my gym, and it can not be shut down by the governor. The workouts have kept me in shape during the lockdown as well as during other time periods where time crunches might have made it tough to go out rather than to the basement. The workouts also reduce stress. Worth every penny.

You might also consider more outcome independence. You can't fix stupid or make others think the way you do. Who cares?
Wholeheartedly second all you have to say. However, I question why Tom needed to spend five figures for a suitable home gym. I'm looking at $225 for mine!

Vinny
Agree on the $$. I bought a bowflex type machine that replicates virtually all of the machines at the gym, some dumbells and a treadmill & eliptical. All good quality stuff. Prob spent less than $4000 total, and if I skipped the treadmill which I really bought to make my GF happy, $2500.

If you're good with free weights, it's prob even cheaper.
I am a free weight barbell evangelist so that is how I was able to get by with only $225, delivered and set up. I bought it used and would have cost about $900 new. Composed of half rack, high quality bench, and Olympic bar with 275 pounds of weights. Way more than I'll ever need.

Does not cost anything to do ab exercises using your own body. Same for pushups. Running in place.

Vinny
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

MangoMan wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:34 am You might also consider more outcome independence. You can't fix stupid or make others think the way you do. Who cares?
Plus 1. As Steven Covey would say: stay in your circle of influence, not in your circle of concerns. Suggest reading 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, or rereading if it’s been a while - Especially during this crazy pandemic/election season.

I prefer to think of joy rather than happy. Happy is internally focused and can change literally in a few seconds - getting a bad news phone call for example. Joy is more externally focused on something objective, something more concrete, something sure and less subject to my circumstances in any given situation - like I’m joyful about my gifts of faith, family, my country warts and all, and the gift of life.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

Most days I'm happy just to be alive and able to do the chores around the house.

A beer or two and a pipe on the back porch while watching TV puts a nice touch on the end of the day and gives me a great night's sleep. What more can a person ask?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

vnatale wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:45 am
Cortopassi wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:22 am Happy: Seeing my kids continue to succeed in school even with all this shit thrown at them

Need WAY, WAY more details on this!!! Your picture ALONE may have just sold me! What were your resources to learn how to do this? What did you have to buy to do this? Everything else you think one needs to know to replicate what you are doing!

Thanks!

Vinny
My suggestion, start small and easy, and then decide to get bigger/more complex if you like it. I started with Mason jars and the Kratky method. All you need are Mason jars (quart and 1/2 gallons), net cups, rockwool, nutrients and seeds and lighting. Small fan also seems to help stiffen stems and the circulation helps growth

Search for "Kratky method mason jar" Basil works great. Small head lettuce (like Boston) also. I have done cherry tomato plants in 1/2 gallon Mason as well, but they eventually get out of hand and take up too much space given the production amount.

Lighting. People have a million varying opinions. I have tried many varieties, color temps, lumens, etc. Get yourself some of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0838 ... UTF8&psc=1

You can also buy singly. Really bright, and leafy plants love them.

Nice to have something green to go to when leaves are falling and snow is coming.

Here's lettuce in Mason jars:

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

vnatale wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:53 am
MangoMan wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:41 am
vnatale wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:37 am

Vinny
Agree on the $$. I bought a bowflex type machine that replicates virtually all of the machines at the gym, some dumbells and a treadmill & eliptical. All good quality stuff. Prob spent less than $4000 total, and if I skipped the treadmill which I really bought to make my GF happy, $2500.

If you're good with free weights, it's prob even cheaper.
I am a free weight barbell evangelist so that is how I was able to get by with only $225, delivered and set up. I bought it used and would have cost about $900 new. Composed of half rack, high quality bench, and Olympic bar with 275 pounds of weights. Way more than I'll ever need.

Does not cost anything to do ab exercises using your own body. Same for pushups. Running in place.

Vinny
Also, during the time that I have been home I've LOST ten pounds - from 156 to 146 (5' 8' or 5' 8 1/2"). That was also a time of reduced activity. No basketball or softball or any of the walking I'd do in all other activities that I do not do when home. Therefore, once again proved in my life that physical activity or exercise is a small to tiny part of losing weight. The primary determinant is what you eat and the quantities of what you eat.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Cortopassi wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:04 pm
vnatale wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:45 am

Thanks!

Vinny
My suggestion, start small and easy, and then decide to get bigger/more complex if you like it. I started with Mason jars and the Kratky method. All you need are Mason jars (quart and 1/2 gallons), net cups, rockwool, nutrients and seeds and lighting. Small fan also seems to help stiffen stems and the circulation helps growth

Search for "Kratky method mason jar" Basil works great. Small head lettuce (like Boston) also. I have done cherry tomato plants in 1/2 gallon Mason as well, but they eventually get out of hand and take up too much space given the production amount.

Lighting. People have a million varying opinions. I have tried many varieties, color temps, lumens, etc. Get yourself some of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0838 ... UTF8&psc=1

You can also buy singly. Really bright, and leafy plants love them.

Nice to have something green to go to when leaves are falling and snow is coming.

Here's lettuce in Mason jars:

Many thanks for the quick and comprehensive response! I will pursue and let you know of my progress. Will also privately contact you with my inevitable questions!

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:27 pm
vnatale wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:53 am
Does not cost anything to do ab exercises using your own body.
While technically true, I know several people who have messed up their lower back doing sit-ups incorrectly. I highly recommend an 'ab roller' like this or similar. Improves efficiency and saves your back and neck.
635f1bde9a3c.jpg

Same for pushups.
Same as above. Get these handles and save your wrists form pain.
7cc58a9e77a6.jpg
Running in place.
Boring, but better than nothing. I'd rather do jumping jacks or burpees, both of which I hate.
I don't do sit-ups but I do do abs exercises. Three times a week. And, a different set of 3-7 exercises each session. None of them traditional situps.

Regarding the pushups.

I've been doing them for many, many, many years now. Recently I have been experiencing some wrist pain. However, when I just did my set of 100 during the last hour, I did not feel write pain while doing them.

However, I did purchase these long ago...
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (14.4 KiB) Viewed 2841 times
....and used them for a while. But also stopped using them long ago for some reason.

Do you believe these are a reasonable substitute for what you recommended for push ups?

Vinny
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

edit: Add "Riding my bike" to what makes me happy. But not in Chicago winters. This year has been good 90+% of days I have been able to ride to work. This past week was the worst so far since March, lots of rain. I like riding, but not purposely in a steady rain.

Situps and pushups, yeah no. I would at times do chin-ups, but exercise for the sake of exercise, I cannot do. I will walk around the block almost every night, and ride my bike anywhere, but I will not run or do things just for the sake of exercise, other than a stationary bike in winter when I can't ride outside.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:39 pm Yes. Those are basically the same as the handles I showed with the added benefit of a rotational device to put even less torque on your wrists as you go up and down.
Except I realized that the problem with either device is the way I do the harder pushup. Each time I go all the way to the floor with my chest I totally lift up my hands from the floor as to not be getting any assistance for the next pushup.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Cortopassi wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:45 pm edit: Add "Riding my bike" to what makes me happy. But not in Chicago winters. This year has been good 90+% of days I have been able to ride to work. This past week was the worst so far since March, lots of rain. I like riding, but not purposely in a steady rain.

Situps and pushups, yeah no. I would at times do chin-ups, but exercise for the sake of exercise, I cannot do. I will walk around the block almost every night, and ride my bike anywhere, but I will not run or do things just for the sake of exercise, other than a stationary bike in winter when I can't ride outside.
Exercise for the sake of exercise ends up producing the same results as musician does when he or she is not actually producing any music when practicing scales. The act of practicing scales enhances when the musician is actually producing music. In other words, a necessary evil if you want best results.

Vinny
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

vnatale wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:02 pm In other words, a necessary evil if you want best results.
Well, that’s the rub. What is “best” results? I haven’t had a true need since playing football in high school.

If I am limber and don’t get winded or sore doing regular home and garden stuff, good enough!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Cortopassi wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:53 pm
vnatale wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:02 pm In other words, a necessary evil if you want best results.
Well, that’s the rub. What is “best” results? I haven’t had a true need since playing football in high school.

If I am limber and don’t get winded or sore doing regular home and garden stuff, good enough!
I went into barbells with my sole goal being to hit the softball farther. After just the first session I was totally surprised by the change in quality of life. Standing up straight for the first time in my life. Being able to lift things that I otherwise would not. No way I'd be still playing basketball or softball absent doing barbells. Lot of pain left my body because I finally had some muscles to support body parts.

Vinny
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

tomfoolery wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:47 am
And one man or woman can do it. Unilaterally. All it took to close gyms was the governor signing a piece of paper in many states. No legislative body. No judge. One person. And when a group of people decided fuck that, and made plans to kidnap a governor, these people are the monsters and vilified.
I'm genuinely interested to know if this is a widely held attitude. The notion that the elected governor's pandemic handling decisions constitute a form of tyranny and that the group of men that hatched a plot to kidnap her are justified, should not be criticized, and perhaps even applauded.

Is this a fringe view, or a commonly held view?
Anyone care to share their personal perception or what they have heard from others?

I presume a kidnapping had it succeeded, would have ended violently. It's hard to imagine the scenarios where it wouldn't. I understand some of the text messages intercepted by the FBI talk about "capping her".

And if I have misunderstood tomfoolery's position, please correct me. What I'm trying to do here is gauge broad sentiment on the issue.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

vnatale wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:08 pm Also, during the time that I have been home I've LOST ten pounds - from 156 to 146 (5' 8' or 5' 8 1/2"). That was also a time of reduced activity. No basketball or softball or any of the walking I'd do in all other activities that I do not do when home. Therefore, once again proved in my life that physical activity or exercise is a small to tiny part of losing weight. The primary determinant is what you eat and the quantities of what you eat.

Vinny
Totally agree. When trying to lose weight at the point where I had become officially obese (210) I actually found going to the gym every day to be counter-productive because the only effect it seemed to have was to increase my appetite. I'm also 5'8" and haven't gotten into the 140's yet but have made into the 150's over the course of several years. And I didn't do it with exercise. I see exercise now as just an aid in maintaining your weight and overall health. It's almost worthless for weight loss.

Decreasing the appetite has been the main thing for me and that's why low-carb, keto, and even carnivore has been successful.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

glennds wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:00 pm
tomfoolery wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:47 am
And one man or woman can do it. Unilaterally. All it took to close gyms was the governor signing a piece of paper in many states. No legislative body. No judge. One person. And when a group of people decided fuck that, and made plans to kidnap a governor, these people are the monsters and vilified.
I'm genuinely interested to know if this is a widely held attitude. The notion that the elected governor's pandemic handling decisions constitute a form of tyranny and that the group of men that hatched a plot to kidnap her are justified, should not be criticized, and perhaps even applauded.

Is this a fringe view, or a commonly held view?
Anyone care to share their personal perception or what they have heard from others?

I presume a kidnapping had it succeeded, would have ended violently. It's hard to imagine the scenarios where it wouldn't. I understand some of the text messages intercepted by the FBI talk about "capping her".

And if I have misunderstood tomfoolery's position, please correct me. What I'm trying to do here is gauge broad sentiment on the issue.
1.) I'm totally and unequivocally against kidnapping elected officials and "capping them".

2.) I don't much believe the FBI any more. I think they have been rapidly losing credibility if they ever even had it. Antifa and BLM have been burning down our cities, marching on government buildings shouting "Death to America" and even trying to take over the city of Seattle and declare themselves a sovereign nation. And this is what the FBI has been focusing their resources on?

3.) I do think shutting down businesses by executive order because they are "non-essential" is a form of tyranny or at least a slippery slope in that direction that we may someday regret heading down.
Last edited by pp4me on Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Tyrannical governors like Whitmer and Newsom should be prosecuted and sent to prison, not kidnapped and killed by vigilantes.

If our government agencies don't do that, regular citizens and business owners should simply disobey the tyrannical governors' diktats, and rank-and-file law enforcement officers should simply refuse to enforce them.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

pp4me wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:09 pm
vnatale wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:08 pm Also, during the time that I have been home I've LOST ten pounds - from 156 to 146 (5' 8' or 5' 8 1/2"). That was also a time of reduced activity. No basketball or softball or any of the walking I'd do in all other activities that I do not do when home. Therefore, once again proved in my life that physical activity or exercise is a small to tiny part of losing weight. The primary determinant is what you eat and the quantities of what you eat.

Vinny
Totally agree. When trying to lose weight at the point where I had become officially obese (210) I actually found going to the gym every day to be counter-productive because the only effect it seemed to have was to increase my appetite. I'm also 5'8" and haven't gotten into the 140's yet but have made into the 150's over the course of several years. And I didn't do it with exercise. I see exercise now as just an aid in maintaining your weight and overall health. It's almost worthless for weight loss.

Decreasing the appetite has been the main thing for me and that's why low-carb, keto, and even carnivore has been successful.
Congratulations on your weight loss! That was truly a great achievement. I graduated high school at 130 lbs and the most I've ever weighed in my life was 169.

Exercise is great for one's overall well being. But don't look to it to lose weight. Look to what you (don't) put into your mouth for that.

Vinny
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

The end of Covid-19 will make me very happy.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

I Shrugged wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:35 pm The end of Covid-19 will make me very happy.
Good luck with that. It’s endemic now, just like the flu, and isn’t going to “end”.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Screenshot of my checklist:
Personal Energy Checklist.png
Personal Energy Checklist.png (125.71 KiB) Viewed 2529 times