Why are you afraid of if the “other” party wins?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Why are you afraid of if the “other” party wins?

Post by vnatale » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:46 pm

Xan wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:23 pm
vnatale wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:37 pm
Jim Burnham wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:53 pm
vnatale wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:49 am

This is oftentimes stated. However it did not seem to be evident in last night's debate. Maybe in Trump, though? Can you as a medical person explain how Trump supplying "goggles" helped reduce the spread of the virus?

Vinny
I am not a medical professional of any kind and will certainly defer to anyone on here who is. But my guess is that the reference to "goggles" has to do with viral particles getting into the body through the eyes, which is AFAIK a theorized vector of how Covid-19 spreads. This year I have seen doctors and dentists wearing goggles and suppose it is for this reason.

Well, here you go!

The best goggles, face shields and glasses to protect yourself from COVID-19

https://nypost.com/article/best-goggles-for-covid-19/

This summer I did buy a face shield from Amazon. But what I was sent was so opaque that I could not see through it at all! I have no idea for whom that was designed to wear.

Vinny
Vinny, were you in the welding section of Amazon?
I bought the specific model after reading a medical doctor recommending it as added protection against the virus.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:32 am

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:58 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:40 am
vnatale wrote:
Jim Burnham wrote:
vnatale wrote:

This is oftentimes stated. However it did not seem to be evident in last night's debate. Maybe in Trump, though? Can you as a medical person explain how Trump supplying "goggles" helped reduce the spread of the virus?

Vinny
I am not a medical professional of any kind and will certainly defer to anyone on here who is. But my guess is that the reference to "goggles" has to do with viral particles getting into the body through the eyes, which is AFAIK a theorized vector of how Covid-19 spreads. This year I have seen doctors and dentists wearing goggles and suppose it is for this reason.

Well, here you go!

This summer I did buy a face shield from Amazon. But what I was sent was so opaque that I could not see through it at all! I have no idea for whom that was designed to wear.

Vinny
Obviously it was designed for the blind.

This what I had purchased. Looks clear to me! But mine was opaque!

Vinny

UVEX by Honeywell Bionic Face Shield with Clear Polycarbonate Visor (S8500)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001V ... UTF8&psc=1
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (25.07 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:06 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:05 am
vnatale wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:58 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Jim Burnham wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny

Well, here you go!

Vinny

Vinny

Capture.JPG
That looks very similar to one we have, but ours is actually clear.
You got ripped off. I would have returned it.
I contacted the seller via Amazon and just stated there was a problem with no details. They immediately responded that they were giving me a refund and that I did not need to return it. I got the refund and I still have it.

I'm not big into actual returns because of all the time involved in actually returning an item.

Vinny
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:20 am

this is a stupid question... sorry....
based on work related visor experience, did it come with a protective sheet? the visors i buy are blue tinted in the box but the blue part is a tear-off... :-[
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:47 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:00 am
vnatale wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:06 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:05 am
vnatale wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:58 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Jim Burnham wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny

Well, here you go!

Vinny

Vinny

Capture.JPG
That looks very similar to one we have, but ours is actually clear.
You got ripped off. I would have returned it.
I contacted the seller via Amazon and just stated there was a problem with no details. They immediately responded that they were giving me a refund and that I did not need to return it. I got the refund and I still have it.

I'm not big into actual returns because of all the time involved in actually returning an item.

Vinny
I have the same approach, unless of course it is rather expensive and they want it back.
As was the case a few months ago with one of https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Optane-2 ... %7Ciid%3A2 that went bad (from a different seller). Fortunately it was within the 30 day return policy.
That item was WELL worth returning if necessary to get a refund!

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:48 am

l82start wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:20 am
this is a stupid question... sorry....
based on work related visor experience, did it come with a protective sheet? the visors i buy are blue tinted in the box but the blue part is a tear-off... :-[
I was hoping that was the case as of familiar with the things that you tear-off that are temporary screen protection. But was not this case with this.

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:08 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:47 am
Libertarian666 wrote:

I have the same approach, unless of course it is rather expensive and they want it back.
As was the case a few months ago with one of https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Optane-2 ... %7Ciid%3A2 that went bad (from a different seller). Fortunately it was within the 30 day return policy.

Vinny
I actually wanted another one, which I bought after returning that one.
All my other persistent memory parts have been working fine, which is a good thing because it looks like I'm going to get funding pretty soon and I need to keep working on the project.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:17 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:08 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:47 am
Libertarian666 wrote:

Vinny
I actually wanted another one, which I bought after returning that one.
All my other persistent memory parts have been working fine, which is a good thing because it looks like I'm going to get funding pretty soon and I need to keep working on the project.
That one memory module is more expensive than many used computers I have purchased!

But I know you are extremely far more demanding of computer performance than am I!

Vinny
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:22 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:17 pm
But I know [Libertarian666 is] extremely far more demanding of computer performance than am I!
Don’t be so sure of that, Vinny. Having thousands of spreadsheets open simultaneously can be quite demanding on a computer! ;)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:07 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:22 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:17 pm
But I know [Libertarian666 is] extremely far more demanding of computer performance than am I!
Don’t be so sure of that, Vinny. Having thousands of spreadsheets open simultaneously can be quite demanding on a computer! ;)
I generally have only one or two open at a time.

I have worked at the same job for 12 years. I have basically used only two spreadsheets to get almost all my Excel spreadsheet work done.

One of them has 400 - 500 worksheets in it. I have a table of contents with hyperlinks to each worksheet so as to be able to get to them quickly.

I learned early on that you never want to link between spreadsheets. Total disaster if you make a change in one when you do not have the other one open. But it works great to link between worksheets all contained in one spreadsheet. Plus, abides by my principle of only entering a piece of information once and have everything else dependent upon that information look for it at its point of entry.

As you can imagine that spreadsheet grows each year. Currently it stands at 85 MB.

The strange thing is how that spreadsheet can require a GB of RAM. Therefore it does consume a fair amount of RAM but not much CPU power. Well maybe some since there are many calculations in all those worksheets. But most of them don't have to be constantly recalculated.

Vinny
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:12 pm

Well now this is interesting.....

https://reason.com/2020/10/27/11-trilli ... /#comments

" (the quote button isn't working for some reason)
In last week's debate with Trump, Biden warned that we are entering a "dark winter." He was talking about rising COVID-19 cases, but his own platform is likely to keep us at home, out of work, and in a bad place for a long time to come.

Biden's expansive vision is about more than vastly increasing spending, but let's start there because the numbers are simply staggering. He's proposing $11 trillion in brand new spending over the next decade, according to the Manhattan Institute's Brian Riedl.

All of this new spending would be layered on top of an existing annual federal budget that has swelled to nearly $7 trillion in fiscal year 2020, from a record-high yet relatively cheap $4.4 trillion in 2019. To pay for this new largess, Biden has laid out $3.6 trillion in tax hikes over the coming decade, resulting in what Riedl says is "the largest permanent tax increase since World War II.
Analysts at the Hoover Institution calculate, according to Reason's Billy Binion, "that over the next decade, these changes would prompt the economy to shed 4.9 million jobs and the gross domestic product to drop $2.6 trillion." And in the year 2030, "U.S. consumption would be down $1.5 trillion and median-income households would make $6,500 less."

Wasn't Reason magazine totally pro-Biden not too long ago? Looks like someone over there woke up and actually took a peek at Biden's platform. It's a horror show indeed. To the anti-Trumpers on the board...can't argue with your critiques of the Orange Man, but....be careful what you wish for!