pugchief wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:33 am
technovelist wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:17 am
pugchief wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:12 am
glennds wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:11 pm

When I worked in hospital administration we used to marvel at how people would always choose the entertaining, charismatic smooth talking doctor who was borderline incompetent over the dorky physician who was in reality a truly superb surgeon.
This is bound to be the case, as most laypeople have no way to judge the quality of a healthcare provider (this includes dentists, etc) other than their 'bedside manor'.

If you know a better way, please share it.
I have a suggestion.
Do a lot of research up front, then ask all the relevant questions you can think of before you submit to surgery.
If the surgeon doesn't want to discuss the procedure in detail and answer your questions in detail, or if he tells you something that is inconsistent with your research, rethink your selection of a surgeon.
That goes without saying. However, a smart guy could answer these questions regardless of whether his surgical skills were top notch.
Yes, of course there isn't any absolute check. Even other doctors might not be able to tell with certainty.
I used to date a surgical tech (OR assistant to surgeon) and she knew who was good and who wasn't. So did the OR nurses.
I'm not surprised about that at all. I was referring to other doctors in general, not health care providers who work with the doctor in question.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Dueling town halls tomorrow evening

Post by glennds » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:50 am

pugchief wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:12 am

If you know a better way, please share it.
Ask the nurses.
Or case managers, social workers, therapists, pharmacists/pharmacy techs, even the admitting clerks. They all know.
All you have to do is grab one and ask "off the record, which doctor would you choose if it were your loved one".
It's not hard.

Also, always go to your State Board of Medical Examiners website and in in 60 seconds you can pull up any licensed physician's complaint and disciplinary history. It's publicly accessible for a reason. Even one substantiated complaint is cause for concern. You'd be surprised what you often find.

Some people also recommend going to the jurisdictional court record website and looking for malpractice lawsuit history. I say take that with a grain of salt and maybe don't do it at all. I say this because we live in a uniquely litigious society where tort law and the economics of personal injury law encourage lawsuits, many of which are opportunistic and not necessarily a reflection of the provider's competence. Some states are far worse for this depending on whether their tort laws offer enhanced remedies (treble damages, liberal fee awards, consequential damages, etc.). In these states, volume of lawsuits will be higher simply because the legal landscape encourages it, not because the medical providers are any worse than anywhere else. Plus the vast majority of med mal lawsuits are settled, and for undisclosed terms. There is no indication of who "won" or "lost".
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Dueling town halls tomorrow evening

Post by Tortoise » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:33 pm

The AMA and state medical licensing guarantee that all doctors meet our expected lofty levels of quality, so “bad doctors” in fact do not exist.

Hope that puts you all at ease. ;)