Moderator: Global Moderator

glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Dueling town halls tomorrow evening

Post by glennds » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:00 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:29 pm

On the other hand, though I disagree with Trump on just about everything, I can listen to one of his rallies three times in a row because he is just so wildly entertaining! But not so in his Town Hall. He was terrible and came off as some kind of wacko!

Vinny
So maybe you've just summarized in two lines why rallies are Trump's weapon of choice, and why he may very well win. We Americans love to be entertained.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:23 pm

glennds wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:00 pm
We Americans love to be entertained.
Yes, the enjoyment of entertainment is indeed a uniquely American predilection.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:28 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:55 am
The moderator of the next debate....

Let's get two questions out of the way to start....

Vice President Biden, how does the false story being pushed by the Trump campaign about your son Hunter make you feel.

Mr. President, are you now ready to admit that you are a white supremacist?
:) :) :)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:01 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:23 pm
glennds wrote:
Is that true? I'm such a self-admitted provincial so I have no idea how much entertainment is enjoyed in every other country in the world.

Any of our non-Americans want to comment? Smith1776, our Canadian forum member? Our Australian forum member? Our European forum members?

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:11 pm

Tortoise wrote:
glennds wrote:
When I worked in hospital administration we used to marvel at how people would always choose the entertaining, charismatic smooth talking doctor who was borderline incompetent over the dorky physician who was in reality a truly superb surgeon.

Reminds me of the old joke about a small town with only two barbers, one immaculately groomed, and the other a sloppy mess. So you choose the immaculately groomed barber, only to realize it's the the slob who cuts his hair, immaculately.
Gimme the sizzle, hold the steak!
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:31 pm

My comment about the enjoyment of humor being a uniquely American predilection was sarcastic, Vinny. :)

It is clearly a universal human trait.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:41 pm

glennds wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:11 pm
Tortoise wrote:
glennds wrote:
When I worked in hospital administration we used to marvel at how people would always choose the entertaining, charismatic smooth talking doctor who was borderline incompetent over the dorky physician who was in reality a truly superb surgeon.

Reminds me of the old joke about a small town with only two barbers, one immaculately groomed, and the other a sloppy mess. So you choose the immaculately groomed barber, only to realize it's the the slob who cuts his hair, immaculately.
Gimme the sizzle, hold the steak!
It's the same as the best person for the job does not get hired. It's the person who does the best in the interview process.

Same as we elect not the best person for the job but the person who runs the best campaign. It could actually be the best person who is elected. Or, it could not.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:12 am

glennds wrote:

This is bound to be the case, as most laypeople have no way to judge the quality of a healthcare provider (this includes dentists, etc) other than their 'bedside manor'.

If you know a better way, please share it.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:17 am

pugchief wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:12 am
glennds wrote:

This is bound to be the case, as most laypeople have no way to judge the quality of a healthcare provider (this includes dentists, etc) other than their 'bedside manor'.

I have a suggestion.
Do a lot of research up front, then ask all the relevant questions you can think of before you submit to surgery.
If the surgeon doesn't want to discuss the procedure in detail and answer your questions in detail, or if he tells you something that is inconsistent with your research, rethink your selection of a surgeon.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:33 am

technovelist wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:17 am
pugchief wrote:
glennds wrote:

I have a suggestion.
Do a lot of research up front, then ask all the relevant questions you can think of before you submit to surgery.
If the surgeon doesn't want to discuss the procedure in detail and answer your questions in detail, or if he tells you something that is inconsistent with your research, rethink your selection of a surgeon.
That goes without saying. However, a smart guy could answer these questions regardless of whether his surgical skills were top notch.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:25 am

pugchief wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:33 am
technovelist wrote:
pugchief wrote:
glennds wrote:

I have a suggestion.
That goes without saying. However, a smart guy could answer these questions regardless of whether his surgical skills were top notch.
Yes, of course there isn't any absolute check. Even other doctors might not be able to tell with certainty.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:38 am

technovelist wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:25 am
pugchief wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:33 am
technovelist wrote:
pugchief wrote:
glennds wrote:

I have a suggestion.
Yes, of course there isn't any absolute check. Even other doctors might not be able to tell with certainty.
I used to date a surgical tech (OR assistant to surgeon) and she knew who was good and who wasn't. So did the OR nurses.