Dueling town halls tomorrow evening

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 am

Re: Dueling town halls tomorrow evening

Post by glennds » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:15 pm

Tyler wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:21 pm
glennds wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:21 pm
I haven't watched the whole thing, but Biden's performance has me scratching my head. For the longest time, the conventional wisdom among Trump supporters was that Biden was a completely incoherent dementia patient that would be stumbling all over himself, unable to construct or maintain any logic or consistent thought. But that has not been the case to my eye in either the DNC, the first debate or last night's town hall.
So was all this speculation about the extent of Biden's cognitive impairment just a hoax (or a hope)?
IMO, it's hard to read too much into events that are clearly staged for a predetermined outcome. Did you know one of the questioners in the Biden town hall presented as an "undecided" voter was a speechwriter in the Obama administration? How many times do you think Biden rehearsed his answer ahead of time?
Interesting story, thanks. I can't say for sure whether Biden's answers to that person or others were rehearsed or not.

All I'm saying is that the talk among the Trump campaign, surrogates and supporters was vivid this summer about how cognitively impaired Biden is, to the point where you might expect him to show up to a debate or interview drooling on himself.
Whether there was rehearsing or not, the image of a mentally disabled dementia case just doesn't seem to be materializing, and perhaps it was a tactical blunder because they set the bar so low that now it's easy for him to exceed the expectations even if his performance is mediocre.

Do you feel the Trump town hall was staged? How do you feel he presented?

Either way, I think next week's live debate should be interesting, and hopefully more productive for voters than the last one.
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7038
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Dueling town halls tomorrow evening

Post by technovelist » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:03 am

Tyler wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:21 pm
glennds wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:21 pm
I haven't watched the whole thing, but Biden's performance has me scratching my head. For the longest time, the conventional wisdom among Trump supporters was that Biden was a completely incoherent dementia patient that would be stumbling all over himself, unable to construct or maintain any logic or consistent thought. But that has not been the case to my eye in either the DNC, the first debate or last night's town hall.
So was all this speculation about the extent of Biden's cognitive impairment just a hoax (or a hope)?
IMO, it's hard to read too much into events that are clearly staged for a predetermined outcome. Did you know one of the questioners in the Biden town hall presented as an "undecided" voter was a speechwriter in the Obama administration? How many times do you think Biden rehearsed his answer ahead of time?
Another one of the "undecided" voters was apparently the wife of a Democrat politician: https://www.redstate.com/nick-arama/202 ... hall-were/

But I'm sure this was just a complete coincidence.
Right?
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7038
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Dueling town halls tomorrow evening

Post by technovelist » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:05 am

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:43 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:27 pm
And...did he? I watched snippets, but did not see any of that. Are there far right websites teeming with videos from last night confirming he has Alzheimer's?
Yes, Biden did say at least one idiotic thing. He said that little kids should have the right to decide to have transgender surgery if they want:

https://youtu.be/_jPL2ZRQQdU
That appears to be considered a mainstream position in the current Democrat party.
Do any of the Democrats here want to come out against it?
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 619
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:04 am

Re: Dueling town halls tomorrow evening

Post by flyingpylon » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:57 am

glennds wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:15 pm
Tyler wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:21 pm
glennds wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:21 pm
I haven't watched the whole thing, but Biden's performance has me scratching my head. For the longest time, the conventional wisdom among Trump supporters was that Biden was a completely incoherent dementia patient that would be stumbling all over himself, unable to construct or maintain any logic or consistent thought. But that has not been the case to my eye in either the DNC, the first debate or last night's town hall.
So was all this speculation about the extent of Biden's cognitive impairment just a hoax (or a hope)?
IMO, it's hard to read too much into events that are clearly staged for a predetermined outcome. Did you know one of the questioners in the Biden town hall presented as an "undecided" voter was a speechwriter in the Obama administration? How many times do you think Biden rehearsed his answer ahead of time?
Interesting story, thanks. I can't say for sure whether Biden's answers to that person or others were rehearsed or not.

All I'm saying is that the talk among the Trump campaign, surrogates and supporters was vivid this summer about how cognitively impaired Biden is, to the point where you might expect him to show up to a debate or interview drooling on himself.
Whether there was rehearsing or not, the image of a mentally disabled dementia case just doesn't seem to be materializing, and perhaps it was a tactical blunder because they set the bar so low that now it's easy for him to exceed the expectations even if his performance is mediocre.

Do you feel the Trump town hall was staged? How do you feel he presented?

Either way, I think next week's live debate should be interesting, and hopefully more productive for voters than the last one.
Some things to consider:

- How often does Biden make public appearances?
- Why does his campaign so often call a “lid” on the day before noon?
- When anyone is allowed to ask Biden questions, what kind of questions are they?
- How does he react to even slightly challenging impromptu questions on the rare occasions they are allowed?
- Why does he use a teleprompter during interviews?
- Why is there so much evidence of behavior that doesn’t match what happens in time-limited, controlled, extremely high-profile events?

Given those questions, does Biden project the level of energy, vibrance, and command you’d like to see in a President?
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3028
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Dueling town halls tomorrow evening

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:38 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:02 pm
Joe Biden's town hall on ABC averaged 13.9 million viewers on Thursday night, easily surpassing the Nielsen ratings for President Trump's town hall on NBC. That alone was a result virtually no one in the TV business expected. And that's not even the most surprising part.

The Trump town hall was simulcast by two of NBC's cable channels, MSNBC and CNBC, but even when those channels are included in the total, Biden -- on only one network -- still prevailed.
----------------
While surprising to many media and political observers, Biden's ratings strength has been palpable for months.
When Trump participated in a town hall on ABC last month, the event averaged 3.8 million viewers.
When Biden held a town hall on NBC, MSNBC and CNBC last week, it averaged 6.7 million viewers.
According to Tim Pool, Trump had almost a million more viewers when you include streaming, but "They always do this, because they want to create news that Biden is winning when he's not."
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7038
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Dueling town halls tomorrow evening

Post by technovelist » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:04 am

flyingpylon wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:57 am
glennds wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:15 pm
Tyler wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:21 pm
glennds wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:21 pm
I haven't watched the whole thing, but Biden's performance has me scratching my head. For the longest time, the conventional wisdom among Trump supporters was that Biden was a completely incoherent dementia patient that would be stumbling all over himself, unable to construct or maintain any logic or consistent thought. But that has not been the case to my eye in either the DNC, the first debate or last night's town hall.
So was all this speculation about the extent of Biden's cognitive impairment just a hoax (or a hope)?
IMO, it's hard to read too much into events that are clearly staged for a predetermined outcome. Did you know one of the questioners in the Biden town hall presented as an "undecided" voter was a speechwriter in the Obama administration? How many times do you think Biden rehearsed his answer ahead of time?
Interesting story, thanks. I can't say for sure whether Biden's answers to that person or others were rehearsed or not.

All I'm saying is that the talk among the Trump campaign, surrogates and supporters was vivid this summer about how cognitively impaired Biden is, to the point where you might expect him to show up to a debate or interview drooling on himself.
Whether there was rehearsing or not, the image of a mentally disabled dementia case just doesn't seem to be materializing, and perhaps it was a tactical blunder because they set the bar so low that now it's easy for him to exceed the expectations even if his performance is mediocre.

Do you feel the Trump town hall was staged? How do you feel he presented?

Either way, I think next week's live debate should be interesting, and hopefully more productive for voters than the last one.
Some things to consider:

- How often does Biden make public appearances?
- Why does his campaign so often call a “lid” on the day before noon?
- When anyone is allowed to ask Biden questions, what kind of questions are they?
- How does he react to even slightly challenging impromptu questions on the rare occasions they are allowed?
- Why does he use a teleprompter during interviews?
- Why is there so much evidence of behavior that doesn’t match what happens in time-limited, controlled, extremely high-profile events?

Given those questions, does Biden project the level of energy, vibrance, and command you’d like to see in a President?
President of the assisted care living resident council? Nah, probably not.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2243
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Dueling town halls tomorrow evening

Post by Cortopassi » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:29 am

Sorry, guys, but seems the phrase grasping at straws comes to mind.

Feel free to berate me with no end if Trump wins.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Dueling town halls tomorrow evening

Post by pp4me » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:55 am

The moderator of the next debate....

Let's get two questions out of the way to start....

Vice President Biden, how does the false story being pushed by the Trump campaign about your son Hunter make you feel.

Mr. President, are you now ready to admit that you are a white supremacist?
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3028
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Dueling town halls tomorrow evening

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:26 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:29 am
Sorry, guys, but seems the phrase grasping at straws comes to mind.

Feel free to berate me with no end if Trump wins.
In what way is supplying you with the full viewership numbers, thus showing how the CNN article was misleading you as to how many people watched each one, grasping at straws?
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7038
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Dueling town halls tomorrow evening

Post by technovelist » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:24 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:26 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:29 am
Sorry, guys, but seems the phrase grasping at straws comes to mind.

Feel free to berate me with no end if Trump wins.
In what way is supplying you with the full viewership numbers, thus showing how the CNN article was misleading you as to how many people watched each one, grasping at straws?
CNN is the Cable NEWS Network. So what it says must be true!
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 619
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:04 am

Re: Dueling town halls tomorrow evening

Post by flyingpylon » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:41 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:29 am
Sorry, guys, but seems the phrase grasping at straws comes to mind.

Feel free to berate me with no end if Trump wins.
Gosh, I hope they aren’t plastic straws, that would be terrible.
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4101
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Dueling town halls tomorrow evening

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:29 pm

Now listening to the Biden Town Hall in its entirety. Only heard the start of it yesterday prior to switching to baseball games.

I decided to time the answer to the first question asked. It took him OVER six minutes! Obama used to drive me crazy by doing the same thing.

Taking that much time to answer a question is NOT concisely and powerfully answering the question!

And, am I still the only one noticing that Biden is constantly repeating his sentences, with my analysis that he must be doing this because at some level he is realizing what he is saying is so weak that he thinks if he says it twice it then has twice the power?

He just speaks in prototypical dull politician-speak. Which means I have a difficult time concentrating on what he is saying because it is so dull.

On the other hand, though I disagree with Trump on just about everything, I can listen to one of his rallies three times in a row because he is just so wildly entertaining! But not so in his Town Hall. He was terrible and came off as some kind of wacko!

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Post Reply