Dueling town halls tomorrow evening

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Dueling town halls tomorrow evening

Post by Tortoise » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:08 am

Forget dueling town halls, we need a dueling rap battle.

Biden:
https://youtu.be/dwoN-FvVEsA

Trump:
https://youtu.be/CpB2dmIA-lA
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:33 am

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:08 am
Forget dueling town halls, we need a dueling rap battle.

Biden:
https://youtu.be/dwoN-FvVEsA

Trump:
https://youtu.be/CpB2dmIA-lA
They're good but this old one is still my favourite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTQnarzmTOc
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:27 pm

In related news, C-span just suspended the guy who was previously scheduled to moderate the cancelled second debate.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/c-span ... ing-hacked
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:33 pm

Tyler wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:27 pm
In related news, C-span just suspended the guy who was previously scheduled to moderate the cancelled second debate.

Too bad. Excellent C-Span moderator.

I discovered C-Span in 1985 when I was flipping through channels and saw Dee Snider, Twisted Sister's lead singer, testifying in front of Congress regarding the record labeling that then Senator Al Gore's wife, Tipper Gore, wanted done.

I've watched since. And, a fair amount almost every day.

In the intervening 35 years this is the first time I can remember anything at all controversial regarding C-Span.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:32 pm

Watched Trump live, watching Biden recorded now.

Both are reasonably boring. No fireworks,
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:40 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:33 pm
Tyler wrote:

I discovered C-Span in 1985 when I was flipping through channels and saw Dee Snider, Twisted Sister's lead singer, testifying in front of Congress regarding the record labeling that then Senator Al Gore's wife, Tipper Gore, wanted done.

In the intervening 35 years this is the first time I can remember anything at all controversial regarding C-Span.

Vinny
If I recall correctly, you explained to us that the only opinion show on C-Span was the morning show, of which Scully was the host.
This is just another example of how TDS can be a debilitating disorder.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:53 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:32 pm
Watched Trump live, watching Biden recorded now.

Both are reasonably boring. No fireworks,
I'm listening to Trump. He is coming across as a wack-o!!!!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:55 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:40 pm
vnatale wrote:
Tyler wrote:

Vinny
If I recall correctly, you explained to us that the only opinion show on C-Span was the morning show, of which Scully was the host.
You are partially recalling correctly. It is on from 7 AM to 10 AM every day of the year.

I believe he is the Sunday morning host.

Here is the current roster of hosts:

Steve Scully, political editor and senior producer
Greta Wodele Brawner
Pedro Echevarria
John McArdle
Peter Slen
Paul Orgel
Jesse J. Holland

Hope that helps!

Vinny
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:04 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Tyler wrote:

Vinny
It doesn't seem that what Scully did was that bad. He (publicly, on Twitter) asked Scaramucci whether or not he should respond to what Trump was saying about him. What really got him into trouble was lying about his account being hacked. C-SPAN put out an official statement based on his word that he didn't send the message, when he had.

I don't see anything particularly out of bounds about the message. Surely it's the lying that really has everybody ticked off.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:38 pm

Xan wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:04 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Tyler wrote:

Vinny
It doesn't seem that what Scully did was that bad. He (publicly, on Twitter) asked Scaramucci whether or not he should respond to what Trump was saying about him. What really got him into trouble was lying about his account being hacked. C-SPAN put out an official statement based on his word that he didn't send the message, when he had.

I don't see anything particularly out of bounds about the message. Surely it's the lying that really has everybody ticked off.
Now it is. Prior it was because he had his picture taken with Biden a few years ago (same as he has with all kinds of politicians). And, he was an intern for Biden while he was in college decades ago. Neither of which demonstrated any political bias.

Vinny
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:54 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:30 pm

I couldn't disagree more. A moderator of a debate should not be asking a known enemy of one of the debate participants what to do about ANYTHING.
Known enemy. You mean the list of people who were all great, and then were losers / I barely knew them? That list seems to grow daily.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/04/politics ... index.html

Sorry I couldn't find a concise list. I guess most/all those people went in knowing to some level what they were getting into, so this is not all on Trump.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:02 pm

Joe Biden's town hall on ABC averaged 13.9 million viewers on Thursday night, easily surpassing the Nielsen ratings for President Trump's town hall on NBC. That alone was a result virtually no one in the TV business expected. And that's not even the most surprising part.

The Trump town hall was simulcast by two of NBC's cable channels, MSNBC and CNBC, but even when those channels are included in the total, Biden -- on only one network -- still prevailed.
----------------
While surprising to many media and political observers, Biden's ratings strength has been palpable for months.
When Trump participated in a town hall on ABC last month, the event averaged 3.8 million viewers.
When Biden held a town hall on NBC, MSNBC and CNBC last week, it averaged 6.7 million viewers.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:27 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:18 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:02 pm
Joe Biden's town hall on ABC averaged 13.9 million viewers on Thursday night, easily surpassing the Nielsen ratings for President Trump's town hall on NBC. That alone was a result virtually no one in the TV business expected. And that's not even the most surprising part.

The Trump town hall was simulcast by two of NBC's cable channels, MSNBC and CNBC, but even when those channels are included in the total, Biden -- on only one network -- still prevailed.
----------------
While surprising to many media and political observers, Biden's ratings strength has been palpable for months.
When Trump participated in a town hall on ABC last month, the event averaged 3.8 million viewers.
When Biden held a town hall on NBC, MSNBC and CNBC last week, it averaged 6.7 million viewers.
I'm actually not that surprised. I'm sure many people tuned in to see how many idiotic and incoherent things Biden would say.
And...did he? I watched snippets, but did not see any of that. Are there far right websites teeming with videos from last night confirming he has Alzheimer's?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:38 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:27 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:

----------------
I'm actually not that surprised. I'm sure many people tuned in to see how many idiotic and incoherent things Biden would say.
And...did he? I watched snippets, but did not see any of that. Are there far right websites teeming with videos from last night confirming he has Alzheimer's?
Just listened to Trump again. He IS highly entertaining at his rallies. But when he is being directly asked questions and challenged on his answers he comes off quite poorly. A lot of "I don't know's" to what he SHOULD know! A lot of crazy suppositions he throws out there. All around, just a lot of craziness from him!

I'll soon be listening to Biden for the first time.

I chose Trump first because he's always the far more entertaining choice.

Vinny
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:43 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Yes, Biden did say at least one idiotic thing. He said that little kids should have the right to decide to have transgender surgery if they want:

https://youtu.be/_jPL2ZRQQdU
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:21 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:

----------------
I haven't watched the whole thing, but Biden's performance has me scratching my head. For the longest time, the conventional wisdom among Trump supporters was that Biden was a completely incoherent dementia patient that would be stumbling all over himself, unable to construct or maintain any logic or consistent thought. But that has not been the case to my eye in either the DNC, the first debate or last night's town hall.
So was all this speculation about the extent of Biden's cognitive impairment just a hoax (or a hope)?

If anyone comes off as incoherent in recent weeks it's Trump. Although in last night's Town Hall maybe he deserves a pass if he's still under the influence of Covid or treatment drugs. Of course if this were indeed the case, it raises a question as to what your comfort level might be with having an impaired President under any circumstances.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:34 pm

glennds wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:21 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:

----------------
I haven't watched the whole thing, but Biden's performance has me scratching my head. For the longest time, the conventional wisdom among Trump supporters was that Biden was a completely incoherent dementia patient that would be stumbling all over himself, unable to construct or maintain any logic or consistent thought. But that has not been the case to my eye in either the DNC, the first debate or last night's town hall.
So was all this speculation about the extent of Biden's cognitive impairment just a hoax (or a hope)?

If anyone comes off as incoherent in recent weeks it's Trump. Although in last night's Town Hall maybe he deserves a pass if he's still under the influence of Covid or treatment drugs. Of course if this were indeed the case, it raises a question as to what your comfort level might be with having an impaired President under any circumstances.
But WAIT there's more.....Hunter....emails...laptop...Chinese... dammit, nothing is sticking.... 18 days....

Oh, and...Jon Voight!

“Biden is evil. Trump must win. He’s real. He will bring back the people’s trust,”

Trump will bring back the people's trust after 4 years of squandering it?? :o :o
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:21 pm

glennds wrote:
IMO, it's hard to read too much into events that are clearly staged for a predetermined outcome. Did you know one of the questioners in the Biden town hall presented as an "undecided" voter was a speechwriter in the Obama administration? How many times do you think Biden rehearsed his answer ahead of time?
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:55 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:17 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:54 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:30 pm

I couldn't disagree more. A moderator of a debate should not be asking a known enemy of one of the debate participants what to do about ANYTHING.
Known enemy. You mean the list of people who were all great, and then were losers / I barely knew them? That list seems to grow daily.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/04/politics ... index.html

Sorry I couldn't find a concise list. I guess most/all those people went in knowing to some level what they were getting into, so this is not all on Trump.
What does it matter how many people are on that list? Does the number of people who hate Trump affect the propriety of asking one of them for advice when you are SUPPOSED TO BE UNBIASED?

Obviously not, if you don't have TDS.
Techno, would you say that you have BDS? You seem more unhinged about him than almost anything I've seen about Trump.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:15 pm

Tyler wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:21 pm
glennds wrote:
IMO, it's hard to read too much into events that are clearly staged for a predetermined outcome. Did you know one of the questioners in the Biden town hall presented as an "undecided" voter was a speechwriter in the Obama administration? How many times do you think Biden rehearsed his answer ahead of time?
Interesting story, thanks. I can't say for sure whether Biden's answers to that person or others were rehearsed or not.

All I'm saying is that the talk among the Trump campaign, surrogates and supporters was vivid this summer about how cognitively impaired Biden is, to the point where you might expect him to show up to a debate or interview drooling on himself.
Whether there was rehearsing or not, the image of a mentally disabled dementia case just doesn't seem to be materializing, and perhaps it was a tactical blunder because they set the bar so low that now it's easy for him to exceed the expectations even if his performance is mediocre.

Do you feel the Trump town hall was staged? How do you feel he presented?

Either way, I think next week's live debate should be interesting, and hopefully more productive for voters than the last one.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:05 am

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:43 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Yes, Biden did say at least one idiotic thing. He said that little kids should have the right to decide to have transgender surgery if they want:

https://youtu.be/_jPL2ZRQQdU
That appears to be considered a mainstream position in the current Democrat party.
Do any of the Democrats here want to come out against it?
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:57 am

glennds wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:15 pm
Tyler wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:21 pm
glennds wrote:
Interesting story, thanks. I can't say for sure whether Biden's answers to that person or others were rehearsed or not.

All I'm saying is that the talk among the Trump campaign, surrogates and supporters was vivid this summer about how cognitively impaired Biden is, to the point where you might expect him to show up to a debate or interview drooling on himself.
Whether there was rehearsing or not, the image of a mentally disabled dementia case just doesn't seem to be materializing, and perhaps it was a tactical blunder because they set the bar so low that now it's easy for him to exceed the expectations even if his performance is mediocre.

Do you feel the Trump town hall was staged? How do you feel he presented?

Either way, I think next week's live debate should be interesting, and hopefully more productive for voters than the last one.
Some things to consider:

- How often does Biden make public appearances?
- Why does his campaign so often call a “lid” on the day before noon?
- When anyone is allowed to ask Biden questions, what kind of questions are they?
- How does he react to even slightly challenging impromptu questions on the rare occasions they are allowed?
- Why does he use a teleprompter during interviews?
- Why is there so much evidence of behavior that doesn’t match what happens in time-limited, controlled, extremely high-profile events?

Given those questions, does Biden project the level of energy, vibrance, and command you’d like to see in a President?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:38 am

Cortopassi wrote:

----------------
According to Tim Pool, Trump had almost a million more viewers when you include streaming, but "They always do this, because they want to create news that Biden is winning when he's not."
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:29 am

Sorry, guys, but seems the phrase grasping at straws comes to mind.

Feel free to berate me with no end if Trump wins.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:55 am

The moderator of the next debate....

Let's get two questions out of the way to start....

Vice President Biden, how does the false story being pushed by the Trump campaign about your son Hunter make you feel.

Mr. President, are you now ready to admit that you are a white supremacist?