Post by Libertarian666 »

Why not? Everything else has happened.
https://thesciencearticle.com/2020/10/1 ... -to-do-it/
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Maybe we will see time travelers this year

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:11 am Why not? Everything else has happened.
EXCELLENT point! Why not throw that in to this extremely unusual year??!! And, on that note, when do you think was the last year that rivals this one and why?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

vnatale wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:10 am
Libertarian666 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:11 am Why not? Everything else has happened.
EXCELLENT point! Why not throw that in to this extremely unusual year??!! And, on that note, when do you think was the last year that rivals this one and why?

Vinny
Maybe 1848, the "Year of Revolution".
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:18 pm

Vinny
Wow!!! I'd not expect that we'd have to reach that FAR back for a comparable year!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

vnatale wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:21 pm

Vinny
Wow!!! I'd not expect that we'd have to reach that FAR back for a comparable year!

Vinny
That's all I have. Do you have anything newer?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:56 pm
vnatale wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:21 pm

Vinny

Vinny
That's all I have. Do you have anything newer?
I'd have to think about it a lot more. That is one of the reasons why I asked. Certainly unique in my lifetime (since 1951) plus I have an excellent knowledge of U.S. history way prior to when I was born. I have to look at 1848, though. Nothing comes to mind. Wasn't the Irish potato famine around then? A presidential election which set up the Civil War. Otherwise I'm not headed to Wikipedia for 1848 facts!

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Just finished my first run through of what went on in 1848. Since those were all world and NOT a U.S. revolution I was generally unfamiliar with them.

I think 2020 has been unique because of so many unexpected, impactful events occurring during the year. I will now reread 1848 and put those which I might consider equivalent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1848

It is historically famous for the wave of revolutions, a series of widespread struggles for more liberal governments, which broke out from Brazil to Hungary; although most failed in their immediate aims, they significantly altered the political and philosophical landscape and had major ramifications throughout the rest of the century.

January 24 – California Gold Rush: James W. Marshall finds gold at Sutter's Mill, in Coloma, California.

February 2
Mexican–American War – Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo: Mexico cedes virtually all of what becomes the Southwestern United States to the U.S. The unincorporated California Territory becomes a provisional official possession; it is never organized by the United States Congress as a territory, but directly passes the requirements for statehood in 1850.

February 21 – Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels publish The Communist Manifesto (Manifest der Kommunistischen Partei) in London.

April 27 – The second abolition of slavery in France and its colonies initiated by Victor Schœlcher.

August 19 – California Gold Rush: The New York Herald breaks the news to the East Coast of the United States that there is a gold rush in California (although the rush started in January).

August 28 – Louisy Mathieu becomes the first black member to join the French Parliament, as a representative of Guadeloupe.

November 7 – 1848 United States presidential election: Whig Zachary Taylor of Louisiana defeats Democrat Lewis Cass of Michigan, in the first U.S. presidential election held in every state on the same day.

November 24 – Pope Pius IX flees Rome in disguise for Naples.

December 2 – Emperor Ferdinand I of Austria abdicates in favor of his nephew, Franz Joseph, who will serve as Emperor of Austria and King of Hungary and Bohemia, until his death in 1916.

December 10 – Prince Louis-Napoléon Bonaparte is elected first president of the French Second Republic.

In sum, tons of violence that year with a lot of political upheaval. On a scale of 1-10 that year had to be an 11 while this year in that regard is probably at a 1!

Vinny
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

The NY Post suggested the election year USA, 1876, was comparable to 2020.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

Been hearing a lot lately about sightings of UFOs that don't obey the laws of physics as we know them.

Got me wondering if maybe the parallel universe theory is true and someone in a different universe figured out how to cross over into ours like in "The Man in the High Castle".

But now that I think about it, maybe it's visitors from the future.

Or we live in a simulation and the simulator just wants to test out this kind of messing with our minds.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

pp4me wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:55 am Been hearing a lot lately about sightings of UFOs that don't obey the laws of physics as we know them.

Got me wondering if maybe the parallel universe theory is true and someone in a different universe figured out how to cross over into ours like in "The Man in the High Castle".

Or we live in a simulation and the simulator just wants to test out this kind of messing with our minds.
How did you rate that series?

I was expecting a lot out of it and it kept seeming to have a lot of potential. But, mostly, it ended up in continual disappointment. I think I'd have to rate it a C+.

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

vnatale wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:17 pm
pp4me wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:55 am "The Man in the High Castle".

I was expecting a lot out of it and it kept seeming to have a lot of potential. But, mostly, it ended up in continual disappointment. I think I'd have to rate it a C+.

Vinny
Same here. I really liked the atmosphere though.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

vnatale wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:17 pm
pp4me wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:55 am Been hearing a lot lately about sightings of UFOs that don't obey the laws of physics as we know them.

Vinny
I liked it a lot but didn't care too much for the ending.