Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Masks are Liberals’ Burkhas

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:04 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:20 pm
Whoa! Where is that, Mark?
Incredible!
Last year. About this time in Fort Lauderdale.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:15 am

A guy on Triggernometry made the observation that people treat the mask mandate in the UK like Iranian (he grew up in Iran) women treat the headscarf mandate. They wear them around their necks until they see the police, then they put them on :P
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:46 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:15 am
A guy on Triggernometry made the observation that people treat the mask mandate in the UK like Iranian (he grew up in Iran) women treat the headscarf mandate. They wear them around their necks until they see the police, then they put them on :P
Great find. This has been going on since the Spanish Inquisition. Even in the late 1400s people would just pretend to follow oppressive laws until the men with guns were within sight.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:16 pm

The point made in the opening post is exactly correct. Sadly, it's not only liberals who have prostrated themselves to this cult. Yes, the face diaper is the sign of submission.

For anyone who thinks this is about public health, please provide actual scientific studies documenting the effectiveness of the face diaper. You might start by taking a look at the recent Danish study which was publicized.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:56 pm

Go mask freedom fighters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for keeping us all safe from tyranny and oppression. Your courage and inspiration are awe inspiring. May your civil mindedness and concern for others inspire all future American generations.

Truly, we can never repay the debt we owe you. You will be remembered right up there with Revolutionary War, Civil War and the Greatest Generation veterans.

Now get back out there tigers...go pull some masks off people's faces. Your wives and children expect this of you. It's a tough job, but who else can we rely upon?
Last edited by Kbg on Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:44 am

And yet, no science to support your satire.

Because it doesn't exist
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:05 am

Kbg wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:56 pm
Go mask freedom fighters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for keeping us all safe from tyranny and oppression. Your courage and inspiration are awe inspiring. May your civil mindedness and concern for others inspire all future American generations.

Truly, we can never repay the debt we owe you. You will be remembered right up there with Revolutionary War, Civil War and the Greatest Generation veterans.

Now get back out there tigers...go pull some masks off people's faces. Your wives an children expect this of you. It's a tough job, but who can else can we rely upon?
O0 O0 O0
🦤
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:44 am

murphy_p_t wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:44 am

Because it doesn't exist
How about 46 scientific studies that say elsewise from US sources

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... -cov2.html

Maybe 14 more from European sources

https://erj.ersjournals.com/content/ear ... 01260-2020

Maybe a Hong Kong hospital study

https://www.contagionlive.com/view/hong ... tervention

How about a study that studies mask acceptance in societies and the science backing wearing masks

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7314683/

And yet, way more science backs my satire than your misinformed opinion.

Analytical Methods 101: Source credibility. If your source is some random internet blogger with an agenda vs. known entities whose business and charter is to study these types of things and make public health recommendations and policy...knock yourself out.

The science is crystal clear, let me summarize for you maybe it will help simplify.

- Do masks prevent the spread of airborne disease - no

- Do masks mitigate droplet transmission (and follow me here if you can) and therefore mitigate transmission effectivity - yes

- Does mask quality make a difference in the above - yes

Riddle me this Batman...if masking up does nothing why does every single picture you see of a COVID ward in a hospital have doctors and nurses who are heavily masked up, face shielded up and wearing protective clothing?

Yep, one big conspiracy with no science behind it...ever notice how all the hospital clothing is greenish blue...gnomes I tell you, gnomes. These gnomes are a branch off of the blue gnomes who stole the election.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:06 am

So to make my personal opinion also crystal clear.

Mask wearing, it's a no-brainer that is helpful, civic minded and really isn't a big deal to comply with. I just got done wearing one for 5 weeks 16 hours a day in an Asian country except when in my hotel room and eating. Really, you will be fine, it's ok. You can even hike up a mountain every morning with one on.

Degree to which we shut down the economy and other public services to limit the spread of COVID, reasonable people can differ here and IMHO there does need to be a balance. I belive this balance is best decided at the local level, optimally free of politics, yet incorporating economic and medical good advice. Federal direction for shutdowns is not helpful because local conditions vary greatly.

I'm also completely cool with mandatory cell phone tracking that is anonymized except for when a COVID contact cluster occurs at which the involved individuals can be "decloaked" and notified. This is exactly what you are already doing if you happen to have an iOS or Android cell phone only you are giving it to private companies who then use and exploit you for everything they can.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:35 pm

Kbg wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:44 am
murphy_p_t wrote:

Because it doesn't exist

How about a study that studies mask acceptance in societies and the science backing wearing masks

Analytical Methods 101: Source credibility. If your source is some random internet blogger with an agenda vs. known entities whose business and charter is to study these types of things and make public health recommendations and policy...knock yourself out.

The science is crystal clear, let me summarize for you maybe it will help simplify.

- Do masks mitigate droplet transmission (and follow me here if you can) and therefore mitigate transmission effectivity - yes

Riddle me this Batman...if masking up does nothing why does every single picture you see of a COVID ward in a hospital have doctors and nurses who are heavily masked up, face shielded up and wearing protective clothing?

Yep, one big conspiracy with no science behind it...ever notice how all the hospital clothing is greenish blue...gnomes I tell you, gnomes. These gnomes are a branch off of the blue gnomes who stole the election.
Lab studies show that masks work. They may work to help prevent infection in specific environments like ORs. The strange thing is that they don't work to prevent the spread of infectious diseases in the general population, even when there's complete compliance, and we don't really know why.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:40 pm

Xan wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:35 pm
Kbg wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:44 am
murphy_p_t wrote:

Because it doesn't exist

Lab studies show that masks work. They may work to help prevent infection in specific environments like ORs. The strange thing is that they don't work to prevent the spread of infectious diseases in the general population, even when there's complete compliance, and we don't really know why.
It's just like government. It's not that it doesn't work, you just need more of it!
LA Times: Face mask trial didn’t stop coronavirus spread, but it shows why more mask-wearing is needed
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:55 pm

I like to go to the source...so here it is, plus professional comments.

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817

In any event, nice intellectual work. Glom on to a study that supports your predisposition. Dude I can do that all day long just pick the subject.

Analytical Methodology 102: Quality of sources and weight of evidence.

I'll give you a C on quality, at least the source study was actually academic/scientific and controlled. You need to bring a lot credible evidence to the table to overcome weight of evidence. So F there.

Finally, I'm seriously beginning to think most Americans are complete morons when it comes to understanding science. With the exception of physics, and even with physics, we see through a glass darkly at all times.

When I see medical professionals ditch masks, that's when I'll believe the science no longer backs mask wearing. Of course organizations who are accountable for acting responsibly or they will be held accountable in courts are going to go with mainstream consensus to CYA. Let's invert as Charlie Munger encourages as a way to think clearly. Mr. kbg is an enterprising young malpractice lawyer and sees a picture in his local newspaper of medical professionals in a COVID ward or the surgical room with no masks on...is Mr. kbg seeing dollar signs in his head? Yes, drooling as well.

Even better for all my esteemed mask warriors; next time you go in for surgery I demand that you demand everyone in the operating room take off their masks. Better yet, when the anesthesiologist leans over you to apply your anesthesia mask...pull his off his face. Serious bonus points for that move.

I'm sure all of our heroes have that kind personal courage and conviction, no doubt.