Trump has Covid-19

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Trump has Covid-19

Post by Ad Orientem »

Just breaking. Doesn't sound serious at the moment.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Trump has Covid-19

Post by doodle »

Political stunt. Faking it probably.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

October surprise, y’all.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Meh, Trump is the boy who cried wolf. Don't trust a damn thing that comes out of Whitehouse. No idea what his angle is with this but I'm sure he has one...gives him a vacation from campaign trail and highlights his robust health when he quickly recovers from nothing?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

Wow, everyone is on the conspiracy train here, both sides!

What's next, Trump Fakes Own Death?

I wish him well, but I also hope that he gets a good enough case of it that it could hopefully give him some more perspective.

I am also interested to see the ripple effects on people he's recently been close to -- Barrett, republican senators, his kids, etc.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

Sorry, a bit off topic, for the ladies who might wear them, I was reading an article with this picture, and the first thing that popped into my mind is how do you wear heels like that on grass? Don't they just sink in like aerating the lawn?

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

Some interesting top reader comments on the article from the NYT

--I like people who don't test positive for COVID-19.

--"It is what it is."

--I watched my grandfather die on FaceTime. I don’t care what happens to Trump.

--Trump has told many lies in the past. What proof do we have that he really has covid-19, and isn't making this up?

--Prediction: "The doctors said I had a very bad case. The worst case they'd ever seen. But I'm so strong I overcame it. I beat that coronavirus so bad. Better than anyone has ever beaten it."

--This strikes me as a scam. He'll hide out, avoid debates, seek sympathy and emerge "healed" and stronger than ever. Skeptical here....

--14 days together? Poor woman.

--I wish him & anyone who’s suffering wellness. However based on Trumps history, I cannot help but to think that the “positive results” is maybe a planted distraction from the “Proud Boys” & “Worst debate” issue.

--Don't believe it for a second. This gets him out of the second debate and gives him an opportunity to declare himself the "healthiest president ever" when he reemerges in ten days -- or if he loses, it's his scapegoat.

Just like Trump wanted to see Obama’s birth certificate...I want to see Trump’s Covid-19’s test results.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Cortopassi wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:07 am Sorry, a bit off topic, for the ladies who might wear them, I was reading an article with this picture, and the first thing that popped into my mind is how do you wear heels like that on grass? Don't they just sink in like aerating the lawn?

Not answering your question but...

President Trump tests positive for the coronavirus.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10/01 ... oronavirus

Mr. Trump received the test results after one of his closest advisers, Hope Hicks, became infected, bringing the virus into his inner circle and underscoring the difficulty of containing it even with the resources of a president. Mr. Trump has for months played down the severity of the virus and told a political dinner just Thursday night that “the end of the pandemic is in sight.”

In the picture you provided do you see any practicing of wearing masks or "social distancing"?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

vnatale wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:16 am
Cortopassi wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:07 am Sorry, a bit off topic, for the ladies who might wear them, I was reading an article with this picture, and the first thing that popped into my mind is how do you wear heels like that on grass? Don't they just sink in like aerating the lawn?

Not answering your question but...

President Trump tests positive for the coronavirus.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10/01 ... oronavirus

Mr. Trump received the test results after one of his closest advisers, Hope Hicks, became infected, bringing the virus into his inner circle and underscoring the difficulty of containing it even with the resources of a president. Mr. Trump has for months played down the severity of the virus and told a political dinner just Thursday night that “the end of the pandemic is in sight.”

In the picture you provided do you see any practicing of wearing masks or "social distancing"?

Vinny
I think being outside obviates most/all of the need for such things. But who knows what things were like in the chopper or wherever they were going.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

I hear the inside of the chopper is pretty cramped. You can imagine that would be a bad situation with no masks and needing to talk loudly, i.e. droplets, all over.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

I would have thought there to be 100 comments on this topic by now...interesting.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

Cortopassi wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:57 am I would have thought there to be 100 comments on this topic by now...interesting.
What is there to say, other than to post asinine comments from people that hate Trump?
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Until I see more comprehensive evidence I'm not believing anything. At the very least it has made the news all about him. My gut says this is a ruse. The universe rarely metes out justice fairly.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Latest report is that Trump has "mild symptoms".

I guess it's hard for a politician to go out and meet or speak to hundreds/thousands of people on a daily basis and avoid getting viruses. I did a quick calculation, comparing the total number of COVID cases in NYC per capita vs the number of members of Congress (16) who have tested positive. Both are 3% - and remember that NYC can lay claim to having the highest COVID incidence in the US and likely the world. And, many of those who tested positive e.g. Romney were avowed mask-wearers....doubt that is much of a factor if at all.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page (NYC COVID case data)

I saw that both Biden and Harris tweeted something nice about wishing the Trumps a speedy recovery. I would like to think Trump would do the same if Biden got sick - but not sure I'd take it as a bet.

So here's a question: Does this show that Trump was cavalier about COVID by going out and campaigning, or on the flip side do you think that Biden's staying cloistered at home and only rarely venturing out in public is a good move? Good for him physically yes, but is that the way a presidential candidate should go about his business? What's going to happen when he's locked down in the White House for the next 4 years, even from his cabinet and advisers? Is that going to affect his ability to carry out his presidential duties?

This is something I've never heard discussed that probably should be. If remote work isn't cutting it for JP Morgan Chase employees, I can't quite imagine how it could work for the President. I can tell you that it isn't cutting it for my lab members....we are conducting regular (weekly) limited small-group in person meetings and the boost to productivity is amazing. There's also that story from the Middle Ages about the Pope who stayed in the middle of a ring of fires to avoid catching the Black Death. It worked, but as a result the Pope was a non-presence at exactly the same when he was needed most.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (91.67 KiB) Viewed 3778 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Yes his cavalier attitude and sociopathic approach to something that has killed over 200k Americans in less than 9 months does not make me wish him a speedy recovery.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Libertarian666 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:15 am
Cortopassi wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:16 am Some interesting top reader comments on the article from the NYT

--I like people who don't test positive for COVID-19.

--"It is what it is."

--I watched my grandfather die on FaceTime. I don’t care what happens to Trump.

--Trump has told many lies in the past. What proof do we have that he really has covid-19, and isn't making this up?

--Prediction: "The doctors said I had a very bad case. The worst case they'd ever seen. But I'm so strong I overcame it. I beat that coronavirus so bad. Better than anyone has ever beaten it."

--This strikes me as a scam. He'll hide out, avoid debates, seek sympathy and emerge "healed" and stronger than ever. Skeptical here....

--14 days together? Poor woman.

--I wish him & anyone who’s suffering wellness. However based on Trumps history, I cannot help but to think that the “positive results” is maybe a planted distraction from the “Proud Boys” & “Worst debate” issue.

--Don't believe it for a second. This gets him out of the second debate and gives him an opportunity to declare himself the "healthiest president ever" when he reemerges in ten days -- or if he loses, it's his scapegoat.

Just like Trump wanted to see Obama’s birth certificate...I want to see Trump’s Covid-19’s test results.
I hope the "progressives" keep this up. It will further alienate anyone who doesn't have TDS, and drive them into the Trump camp.
Techno, you ever go to school with a bully? Someone who made fun of people constantly...for their height, weight, called them crazy, or pencil neck or whatever....think Biff in Back to the Future. Yeah they don't tend to get a lot of sympathy or respect. Sorry, it isn't TDS...its just that your man is an asshole.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

White House COVID Testing Is Riddled With Holes, Insiders Say

The surprise, one said, is that it took this long for the president to get the virus.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/white-hou ... itter_page
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Another fun question: is Trump taking HCQ/DOX or AZ?

I finally got around to reading the article that Libertarian666 posted some time back. It was based on a review published in the American Journal of Epidemiology, which has an impact factor of 3.7. That's on the low side, but high enough to indicate that it's a respectable journal and probably well read within that field.

https://academic.oup.com/aje/advance-ar ... 93/5847586

The review, to me, makes a pretty compelling case that early use of the combo in newly diagnosed, high risk patients could potentially have a big impact. True, no randomized controlled trials, but there are multiple controlled nonrandomized trials all independently showing such a large effect that the lack of randomization couldn't explain it.

If this review's take is correct, those FDA actions and perhaps also the slanted reporting could be regarded as criminal.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

tomfoolery wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:38 am All of the pre-debate polls I read announced Biden as the clear winner. Orangeman wants none of that.
Made me think of this: CNN Pre-Debate Poll Shows Biden Clearly Won Debate
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

My opinion is this Covid-19 sickness is going to go on for quite a while, until we develop herd immunity, or a vaccine, or something we have not yet discovered happens. Hopefully, I'm healthy enough to survive it; if not, it's still all good. When Covid-19 disappears into the ordinary 'past plague' category, there will be a new something to attack us. Always has been, always will be. No matter how smart man thinks he is, there are always unintended consequences. Thanks be to God for all our medical and scientific advances, but we are never quite smart enough. Planes still crash, bridges still fail, earthquakes and hurricanes and tornados still happen. Go look at an abandoned house or lot or concrete pad ... not long until the weeds and rot take over; nature always wins. When man abandons God, bad things happen too; lots of weeds, rot and microscopic critters and wars rear their ugly heads. From my Biblical understanding, these 'plagues' are a result of the curse in Genesis 3 which came on the heels of man wanting to be like God. It's our own fault things just don't work the way God intended pre-fall (pre-curse) and will not until after the Last Day when the new heavens and new earth arrive; I intend to be part of that new heaven and new earth; I hope you all are too. In the meantime, let's enjoy life, enjoy friends and family, enjoy our internet buddies, even if remotely or virtually. :)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

Father Jenkins, president of Notre Dame, has Covid.

He was berated by students for being at the White House unmasked during Barrett's nomination.

I assume everyone in that entire gathering has to be concerned at this point.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

WiseOne wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:58 am
So here's a question: Does this show that Trump was cavalier about COVID by going out and campaigning, or on the flip side do you think that Biden's staying cloistered at home and only rarely venturing out in public is a good move? Good for him physically yes, but is that the way a presidential candidate should go about his business?
One of the perspectives to consider is whether the move is not just good for the candidate themselves physically but whether the events put other people at risk. Rallies and events bring people together physically.
This was the point behind one of the moderator's questions in this week's debate about Trump holding rallies and Biden not. Before Biden could answer the question Trump interrupted him and answered for him saying nobody would show up to a Biden rally. He also mocked Biden for wearing a mask, one that Trump ridiculed for being too big.
I'd love to hear someone make the case that this turn of events demonstrates good judgement.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

WiseOne wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:18 am Another fun question: is Trump taking HCQ/DOX or AZ?
Well you raise a great question. Every day is a new twist in this quintessential reality show. Wouldn't it be something if Trump emerges in a few day looking like Superman, attributing his victory over COVID to his touted cocktail of HCQ, zinc and whatever else he has promoted? It might show that he knew better all along.
On the other hand, if he ends up with a poor episode of COVID, it will support the argument that his judgment is reckless and [add whatever adjectives you like]

Time will tell.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

flyingpylon wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:39 am
Cortopassi wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:57 am I would have thought there to be 100 comments on this topic by now...interesting.
What is there to say, other than to post asinine comments from people that hate Trump?
That’s kind of how I feel. I wish him a speedy recovery, (First lady as well). Whether he wins or loses, I would like to see the election happen on time and for there to be a clear outcome. Not much else to say.