Post-COVID-19 Economy: Less From Washington May Be More

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:19 pm

Seems that most here would agree with Steve Forbes's prescriptions?

Vinny

https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveforbe ... d921551922

We must take these experiences to heart. Large, across-the-board tax cuts should be enacted and our progressive tax system replaced by a flat tax. The dollar’s value should be stabilized, preferably by rediscovering Alexander Hamilton’s wisdom and fixing our currency to gold. The commerce-crunching provisions of all COVID-19 rescue bills should be allowed to expire or be removed. Deregulation efforts should be renewed.

It’s simple. As Nathan Lewis demonstrates in The Magic Formula, economies that have low tax rates and stable currencies prosper more than those that don’t. Always.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Post-COVID-19 Economy: Less From Washington May Be More

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:13 am

He doesn't say the other part: if the federal government cuts taxes, it should cut a lot of spending, too.

Personally, I think the helicopter money and souped-up unemployment were bad calls that originated from a flawed premise (that we needed to shutter our country for 6+ months). Good on Rand Paul for sticking to his principles.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:28 am

vnatale wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:19 pm

Vinny

We must take these experiences to heart. Large, across-the-board tax cuts should be enacted and our progressive tax system replaced by a flat tax. The dollar’s value should be stabilized, preferably by rediscovering Alexander Hamilton’s wisdom and fixing our currency to gold. The commerce-crunching provisions of all COVID-19 rescue bills should be allowed to expire or be removed. Deregulation efforts should be renewed.

It’s simple. As Nathan Lewis demonstrates in The Magic Formula, economies that have low tax rates and stable currencies prosper more than those that don’t. Always.
Forbes has been on the Flat Tax Bandwagon for Years..
Just at what percent of flat tax are they going to pull out of their a$$?
Start at a LOW rate,because you can always Raise the Tax rate Later.
Just like the Income Tax when it started, start at low rates then increase as more Thievery and Graft is needed.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:36 am

shekels wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:28 am
vnatale wrote:

Vinny

Just like the Income Tax when it started, start at low rates then increase as more Thievery and Graft is needed.
Unfortunately what you say seems to be the way of BOTH human nature and politicians.

Hard to believe that outside of during the Civil War and prior to 1913 the country existed without any income tax, a total period of about 150 years.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:44 am

vnatale wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:36 am
shekels wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:28 am
vnatale wrote:

Vinny

Unfortunately what you say seems to be the way of BOTH human nature and politicians.

Hard to believe that outside of during the Civil War and prior to 1913 the country existed without any income tax, a total period of about 150 years.

Vinny
Yep.

1913 Income tax
1913 Federal Reserve
Obviously more Thievery and Graft was needed.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:58 pm

First, limit campaign contributions. Then wealth inequality wont matter as much.