Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Post by vnatale »

I've listened the debate and am on my third time around.

I've made up my mind on one subject.

The president should always be able to nominate a Supreme Court justice....up until January 19th of the fourth year!

How many other duties is the president not allowed to carry out while still in office?

Terrible precedents have been set in the past? What is the exact cut-off day prior to an election when a president should refrain from nominating? Then why not the day before or after? Simple answer it should be up until January 19th!

And, the senate should never refuse to entertain the nomination. Force every senator to vote and give reasons why they are saying No.

But I'm being way too idealistic and not political and not hypocritical!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I agree, Vinny. I don't know much about how the Senate works with the 'not entertaining the nominee' thing, but in spirit, yea of course that's how it should work.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

vnatale wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:58 pm The president should always be able to nominate a Supreme Court justice....up until January 19th of the fourth year!
I agree. A full term is a full term. We don't allow a president to extend his term beyond its end date. And we don't allow a possible president to precede his term before its start date.

I had an old mentor that always said "When you are in the driver's seat, drive."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

Libertarian666 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:46 pm
Cortopassi wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:47 pm
Libertarian666 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:28 pm
WiseOne wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:23 pm
Tyler wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:44 pm Coming out as hardcore anti-Christian and attacking her family will raise quite a few eyebrows among normal people.
I was wondering about this too. Especially because the Democrats have been trumpeting Biden's Catholicism in (I guess) an attempt to woo the religious right voters who are more than a bit appalled at Trump's twitter posts. Now it's coming across as it's OK for a man to be a devout Catholic but it's not OK for a woman. The optics of that are really, really bad.
They should just ask a few facially reasonable questions and then shut up, but they can't do that because then their lunatic fringe would try to burn their houses down.

That's just one of the reasons why this was a brilliant pick by Trump.

Isn't it amazing how someone so dumb as he is can make such good moves, entirely by accident? >:D
There's no way they'll question her faith. No way.
Want to bet? I'm in for $10.
tech, need my address to send me the $10? I know the hearings are not over yet, but... O0

Republicans, who spent much of the hearing’s opening day on the defensive, tried to turn the tables by accusing Democrats of targeting Judge Barrett over her Catholic faith, even though no Democrat mentioned or even alluded to it.

As Democrats focused on Judge Barrett’s legal rulings and writings on health care and other issues, Republicans doggedly stuck with a game plan that framed Democrats as anti-Catholic and anti-religion, hoping to motivate their political base.

“This committee is not in the business of deciding which religious beliefs are good, which are bad, and which religious beliefs are weird,” said Senator Ben Sasse, Republican of Nebraska, who called himself “someone who is self-consciously a Christian.” Some beliefs he holds may be considered “crazy,” he said, such as the Virgin birth and resurrection of Jesus.

Mr. Sasse argued that Democrats were trying to put in place an unconstitutional religious test for the court. Since no Democrat has raised Judge Barrett’s religious beliefs since her nomination for the Supreme Court, he and other Senate Republicans repeatedly reached back to the 2017 hearing on her nomination for an appeals court seat, when some Democrats questioned whether she could set aside personal beliefs rooted in her religion to rule impartially.
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue »

Diane Feinstein, who is 87 years old and obviously suffering from hardening of the attitudes, accused ACB of letting the dogma live loudly within her. The senator never took back those words.

Sounds like an unconstitutional religious test to me.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

jhogue wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:50 pm Diane Feinstein, who is 87 years old and obviously suffering from hardening of the attitudes, accused ACB of letting the dogma live loudly within her. The senator never took back those words.

Everybody is so goddamn old in congress. Succession: Trump, 74, Pence, 61 (youngster!), Pelosi, 80, Grassley, 87!
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue »

Corto,
Thanks for providing one more reason to confirm 48 year old Judge Barrett.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

jhogue wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:50 pm Diane Feinstein, who is 87 years old and obviously suffering from hardening of the attitudes, accused ACB of letting the dogma live loudly within her. The senator never took back those words.

I new Feinstein was old but not that old! And, had no idea Grassley is the same age??!!

Both of them come across to me that they each all still here with no mental decline. Good for them! I'm reaching for as many old role models as I can to give me hopes that if they can do it why not me!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

jhogue wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:07 pm Corto,
Thanks for providing one more reason to confirm 48 year old Judge Barrett.
FYI, I am not against her being on the court. I am more upset about the hypocritical nature of the last year before an election BS, esp. as vocalized by Lindsey Graham, use my words against me. I hope an ad like that is running 24/7 in SC.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Cortopassi wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:56 pm

Everybody is so goddamn old in congress. Succession: Trump, 74, Pence, 61 (youngster!), Pelosi, 80, Grassley, 87!
Thank you for inspiring my newest sig line.
🍍
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

7 are 80 or older

29 are 70 or older.

Youngest is 40

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... s_senators