What will McConnell do?

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Post by l82start » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:05 pm

i think they set a precedent for waiting till the election ends during the Obama years... it will be interesting to see if the republicans flip flop on that one..
“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary.”

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:10 pm

l82start wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:05 pm
i think they set a precedent for waiting till the election ends during the Obama years... it will be interesting to see if the republicans flip flop on that one..
The reason that the Senate didn't hold hearings for an Obama appointment is that the Senate was in Republican hands so no one that Obama nominated would have been confirmed.

The situation right now is obviously completely different because the Senate and Presidency are controlled by the same party. McConnell should ram through a confirmation of Amy Coney Barrett at warp speed. It is particularly critical now because the Supreme Court may be the only body that can prevent the Democrats from stealing the election via mail-in ballot fraud.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:20 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (30.83 KiB) Viewed 460 times
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:38 pm

technovelist wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:10 pm
l82start wrote:
The reason that the Senate didn't hold hearings for an Obama appointment is that the Senate was in Republican hands so no one that Obama nominated would have been confirmed.

The situation right now is obviously completely different because the Senate and Presidency are controlled by the same party. McConnell should ram through a confirmation of Amy Coney Barrett at warp speed. It is particularly critical now because the Supreme Court may be the only body that can prevent the Democrats from stealing the election via mail-in ballot fraud.
i agree we should put a new judge on the bench asap.. i am not so sure the dems are going to let it happen, even if they set the precedent in their own interest to prevent a denial of confirmation, they will use it to prevent a republican confirmation as well... hope i am wrong or that trump just some how manages to come up "winning" again...
“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary.”

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:45 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:20 pm
Capture.JPG
The American people do have a say in the selection of Supreme Court justices, because they vote for Presidents who nominate them and Senators who confirm them.

Hope that helps.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:47 pm

l82start wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:38 pm
technovelist wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:10 pm
l82start wrote:

i agree we should put a new judge on the bench asap.. i am not so sure the dems are going to let it happen, even if they set the precedent in their own interest to prevent a denial of confirmation, they will use it to prevent a republican confirmation as well... hope i am wrong or that trump just some how manages to come up "winning" again...
Of course the Democrats will try to stop it because a solid conservative majority on the court will stop them from stealing the election.
But they can't do anything about it if the Republicans have 50 Senate votes in favor (not counting Pence).
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:57 pm

technovelist wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:45 pm
vnatale wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:20 pm
Capture.JPG
The American people do have a say in the selection of Supreme Court justices, because they vote for Presidents who nominate them and Senators who confirm them.

Hope that helps.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (23.43 KiB) Viewed 436 times
Hope that helps.

Vinny
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:04 pm

They will wait.