Eight more years?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 297
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 am

Eight more years?

Post by glennds » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:22 am

At a speech in Wisconsin on August 17th, Trump suggested that after four more years, he will go for another four years, on the basis that they spied on his campaign and therefore his administration should get a re-do of four years.

I did not learn this from the mainstream media, I refer to a verbatim speech transcript which you can see here (go to 22:20 of the transcript): https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/do ... -august-17. It's helpful that Trump speaks in clear straightforward language so I think what he is saying is self-explanatory.

What does this mean? Is what he's suggesting in conflict with the 22nd Amendment to the Constitution? Or does the alleged fact that his campaign was spied upon create an exception to the 22nd Amendment such that he can serve an additional term?

Are you supportive of his suggestion in principle?
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:04 am

Re: Eight more years?

Post by flyingpylon » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:24 am

C’mon man...
User avatar
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 519
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:01 am

Re: Eight more years?

Post by shekels » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:41 pm

glennds wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:22 am
At a speech in Wisconsin on August 17th, Trump suggested that after four more years, he will go for another four years, on the basis that they spied on his campaign and therefore his administration should get a re-do of four years.

I did not learn this from the mainstream media, I refer to a verbatim speech transcript which you can see here (go to 22:20 of the transcript): https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/do ... -august-17. It's helpful that Trump speaks in clear straightforward language so I think what he is saying is self-explanatory.

What does this mean? Is what he's suggesting in conflict with the 22nd Amendment to the Constitution? Or does the alleged fact that his campaign was spied upon create an exception to the 22nd Amendment such that he can serve an additional term?

Are you supportive of his suggestion in principle?
Have we lost our sense of humor?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2222
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Eight more years?

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:52 pm

Ha ha ha ha very funny. What a funny guy.

Problem is there is a complete loss of understanding whether he is lying or telling the truth or joking or being serious with him.

His words can be spun in any freaking direction as required by supporters or detractors.

What does that make him? Hopefully after Jan 20, it makes him a real estate guy again and not president.
User avatar
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 519
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:01 am

Re: Eight more years?

Post by shekels » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:02 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:52 pm
Ha ha ha ha very funny. What a funny guy.

Problem is there is a complete loss of understanding whether he is lying or telling the truth or joking or being serious with him.

His words can be spun in any freaking direction as required by supporters or detractors.

What does that make him? Hopefully after Jan 20, it makes him a real estate guy again and not president.
Yep,
On Jan 20 It makes him, President Trump being sworn in for his second term.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4034
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Eight more years?

Post by vnatale » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:20 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:52 pm
Ha ha ha ha very funny. What a funny guy.

Problem is there is a complete loss of understanding whether he is lying or telling the truth or joking or being serious with him.

His words can be spun in any freaking direction as required by supporters or detractors.

What does that make him? Hopefully after Jan 20, it makes him a real estate guy again and not president.
I think it makes him a clown!

One of the the prime attributes of a great leader (or even a good leader) is the ability to communicate. Communication does not just entail one saying something. It also requires the recipient of your communication being clear on what your message is.

Therefore, I'd have to grade him as F in the subject of Leadership Communication.

He does, though, still retain his A+ grader as an Entertainer. But I don't think most people who voted for him were looking for him to be the country's leading entertainer.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2222
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Eight more years?

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:35 pm

shekels wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:02 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:52 pm
Ha ha ha ha very funny. What a funny guy.

Problem is there is a complete loss of understanding whether he is lying or telling the truth or joking or being serious with him.

His words can be spun in any freaking direction as required by supporters or detractors.

What does that make him? Hopefully after Jan 20, it makes him a real estate guy again and not president.
Yep,
On Jan 20 It makes him, President Trump being sworn in for his second term.
Not out of the realm of possibility for sure. Either way, whoever wins, going to be interesting.

Back to words matter, though. It was fun, entertaining even, when he was a candidate, how he'd just be the every man, sitting at a bar railing on everything kind of talk that he did. Like your crazy uncle. Enough so that I voted for him.

4 years later though, I've had enough. Even if it was Hillary running again, I'd vote for her. That's how much his demeanor and attitude toward people who don't fall in line have affected me. Call it TDS? Sure. I'd actually call it being a guy with a good heart.

Michael Cohen, yet another in the incredibly long list of people who have written a book, or eventually broke ranks and spoke out against him -- I don't think there's really anyone left who thinks Trump is a nice guy. At some point, are these all losers? Disloyal? Suddenly see the light people? At some point there is a mass effect where any reasonable person has to go, hmmm, maybe it's Trump, and not these dozens of others?

I know, he doesn't have to be nice. But if he was able to dial it back from 11 to maybe a 6 or 7 on the "I'm an asshole, I know everything, you're stupid if you don't agree with me" factor, he'd win in a landslide.
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1972
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Eight more years?

Post by Tortoise » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:39 pm

Trump's language is fairly simple and plain. He doesn't use a lot of big, fancy words. So the meaning of his messages is typically easy to comprehend.

I think most people (including left-leaning ones) understand that Trump was joking when he suggested he should get a "redo" of his first four years due to the spying scandal. The audience chuckles as he says it. It's humor.

Many people don't approve of Trump's sense of humor. But that's different from not understanding what he's trying to communicate.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:04 am

Re: Eight more years?

Post by flyingpylon » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:49 pm

Here's the video, queued to the relevant part of the speech: https://youtu.be/V5CHERi6oDU?t=1025

It was a joke and this is really an absurd discussion. Scott Adams was right when he said that about a third of the general public doesn't even recognize humor when they see it.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 297
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 am

Re: Eight more years?

Post by glennds » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:59 pm

Okay, got it. I didn't realize it was a joke. Mea culpa.

I heard him say numerous times that he doesn't tell jokes. But now I'm thinking those might have been jokes.
In other words he was kidding about not telling jokes.
I just can't tell the difference between jokes, aspirational comments, alternative facts, locker room talk, and what he really thinks.

Maybe it's a Jedi mind trick, he means exactly whatever you want him to mean in your own mind. It's all so confusing.
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2222
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Eight more years?

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:01 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:49 pm
Here's the video, queued to the relevant part of the speech: https://youtu.be/V5CHERi6oDU?t=1025

It was a joke and this is really an absurd discussion. Scott Adams was right when he said that about a third of the general public doesn't even recognize humor when they see it.
It was a joke, I agree. You can see when he shifts from teleprompter to off the cuff.

It doesn't change, for me, the larger issue of he's just an old man with a mean bully streak and we should be able to do better than him (or Biden) as president.
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2222
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Eight more years?

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:07 pm

glennds wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:59 pm
Maybe it's a Jedi mind trick, he means exactly whatever you want him to mean in your own mind.
You hit it on the head there. 100%. I will hear my dad's interpretation of something Trump said, and I got it 180 degrees different.
Post Reply